• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cann we?

It's a metric that indicates how deserved a teams results are vis-a-vis their performances. Not a perfect metric, but gives you a sense of the "fairness" of the table.

I disagree with using xg being used that way - quick example, you lose 1 nil but have an Xg of 3 with your opponents having 0.whatever - now i believe Xp would say you should have got 3 points in that game but imv that isn't the case as all the data is saying is that you created a lot of opportunities (or a few golden opportunities) to equalise - it doesn't show you should have won the game or done enough to win it as once that first goal gets scored the game changes.

I disagree with using xg being used that way - quick example, you lose 1 nil but have an Xg of 3 with your opponents having 0.whatever - now i believe Xp would say you should have got 3 points in that game but imv that isn't the case as all the data is saying is that you created a lot of opportunities (or a few golden opportunities) to equalise - it doesn't say you should have won the game or done enough to win it.
If having more scoring opportunities or more high-quality scoring opportunities doesn't say anything about whether you deserved to win a game, then I don't know what does. As I said, it's not perfect, but over the course of a season it provides a decent picture of how deserved a team's position is.

Brentford, for example, fired Warburton after he got them 5th in the Championship and in a playoff promotion spot, because the underlying data didn't stack up. So, if teams use it, I guess it can't be that off.

If having more scoring opportunities or more high-quality scoring opportunities doesn't say anything about whether you deserved to win a game, then I don't know what does. As I said, it's not perfect, but over the course of a season it provides a decent picture of how deserved a team's position is.

Brentford, for example, fired Warburton after he got them 5th in the Championship and in a playoff promotion spot, because the underlying data didn't stack up. So, if teams use it, I guess it can't be that off.

The data clubs are looking at will be more detailed than what's available to us.

Xg has a value as a stat and I'm not one of those statphobes who don't appreciate it, but it just doesn't correlate to points in the way they are trying to make it with these expected points tables

The data clubs are looking at will be more detailed than what's available to us.

Xg has a value as a stat and I'm not one of those statphobes who don't appreciate it, but it just doesn't correlate to points in the way they are trying to make it with these expected points tables
My nephew is finishing his degree in football analytics
He was talking me through what he does yesterday at the under 21 game
They film the game live, but have set buttons on the laptop that catch the recent footage and code it to a certain action. That data can be given live to a coach to use and allows him to do instant analysis of the game state
He also collects cumulative data
I asked about xG… not used at all.

Back in 2015 when Brentford fired Warburton they probably had more basic data. Kinda what we would see today in publicly available sites.

My nephew is finishing his degree in football analytics
He was talking me through what he does yesterday at the under 21 game
They film the game live, but have set buttons on the laptop that catch the recent footage and code it to a certain action. That data can be given live to a coach to use and allows him to do instant analysis of the game state
He also collects cumulative data
I asked about xG… not used at all.
I think some fans and those who have listened to so called experts put far too much importance on xG. Its one of the most useless stats that have crept into the game IMO.

I think some fans and those who have listened to so called experts put far too much importance on xG. It’s one of the most useless stats that have crept into the game IMO.
My nephew is due it get a first in his degree and is applying for a job at Tottenham now as well as other clubs
In his words, it’s action traction they need. What’s happening and what it’s creating ..
I liked that saying

Can we get one point against the worst team in the league?

You would hope so.
But we haven't got a clean sheet in 19 or 20 games now. And son can't score when clean through.

Last game one of our attackers scored and we won is back in march.
Son 86th mine winner at home to Luton.

Back