• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pushing Up The Daisies - 2023

Very sad. Never a huge fan of his own bands (although Big Black produced a couple of pretty good albums), but his work on other bands’ records was exceptional. The Breeders’ Pod, Rid of Me by PJ Harvey, Seamonsters by The Wedding Present, Nirvana’s In Utero…genius.
I mainly know his name from the Jarvis solo records.

Seamonsters is a great album

So very, very sad. The guy was involved in so many of my favourite records and bands growing up; Pixies, Slint, Nirvana, PJ, Will Oldham, Joanna Newsom, Godspeed! YBE, Jesus Lizard.. The list goes on. And the best of his own bands, Shellac, whose 1000 Hurts is still among my favourites.
What a loss to the music world :(

His letter to Nirvana when they were discussing the possibility of him recording In Utero sums up his unique attitude perfectly:
https://news.lettersofnote.com/p/nirvana

a2vNQ59_460swp.webp

Woah woah woah woah there Michael, their best album by an absolute mile is George Best.

My mate was writing some stuff for the Wedding Present fan club and phoned up Albini from a number he obtained on the internet. Apparently he answered, and obliged with an impromptu interview!

My mate was writing some stuff for the Wedding Present fan club and phoned up Albini from a number he obtained on the internet. Apparently he answered, and obliged with an impromptu interview!
Nice. I went to Uni in Leeds and a friend rented a house on Brudenell Road which had writing on the wall in biro purportedly written by David Gedge. I'm 99% sure that was a lie, but it is a nice memory.

It’s a great album…but we’ll have to agree to differ on that one!

(It does have their best album cover though.)
That's some brass neck you've got; why are you being so reasonable now?

I'd say they started off with their best and slowly but steadily declined...

But I was pleasantly surprised by their more recent efforts; featuring Louise Wener off of Sleeper

I'll stop spamming the death thread now.

Back