• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Assou-Ekotto

Can I please clear up whether this is claimed to be against Jewish people or the Israeli state?

The claim is that the gesture is a kind of sly, inverted "seig heil". And that it is basically anti-Semitic... not some kind of political statement about Israeli foreign policy or whatever.

Whether it started out that way, I honestly don't know, but that's pretty much what it means now after all this publicity, so trying to reclaim (or claim) the gesture as some kind of anti-establishment thing is probably a lost cause now.

None of which sheds light on how Anelka really meant it, or how Assou-Ekotto interpreted it when he supported Anelka. That aspect is all hearsay. I think it's unlikely that either player meant their actions to be specifically offensive towards Jews. But that's how it came across. And that's how it was always going to come across in a scandal-obsessed media. The two players gave public support to a comedian who - by pretty much every account - has an overtly anti-Semitic act. And they expressed that support (BAE only indirectly) via a gesture that many consider one of the anti-Semitic aspects of that act.

Whatever the rights and wrongs... that was never going to play well in the press. And before anyone starts complaining about "political correctness gone mad", I think there might be an element of that all right, but most of these "scandals" have nothing to do with PC, even though it generally gets the blame. In my view, 90% of it is tabloid media's constant search for scandal. It's them who print the pictures, them who make the innuendoes, them who hunt out some no-name from a fringe campaigning organisation and give them way more column inches than they merit, them who constantly hound the FA about whether or not disciplinary action will be taken, and fill the back pages with quotes from the half dozen "outraged" people out there. Then they spend the next week talking about political correctness gone mad. Nobody forced them to print all that garbage.

Obviously needed to get that off my chest :)

Anyway, BAE screwed up from a public relations standpoint, no question. And I can completely understand the club being unhappy with him because of that. Whether or not it was worthy of a ban? Or of the player's effective exile? That seems a bit extreme to me, and makes me think there might be more to it behind the scenes... some sort of serious falling-out between Assou-Ekotto and the chairman? Who knows?

I'm taking his absence as him no longer being good enough and nobody wanting to buy him (or him being unable to pass a medical). He was terrible for QPR last season and not much better for us the season before.

The claim is that the gesture is a kind of sly, inverted "seig heil". And that it is basically anti-Semitic... not some kind of political statement about Israeli foreign policy or whatever.

Whether it started out that way, I honestly don't know, but that's pretty much what it means now after all this publicity, so trying to reclaim (or claim) the gesture as some kind of anti-establishment thing is probably a lost cause now.

None of which sheds light on how Anelka really meant it, or how Assou-Ekotto interpreted it when he supported Anelka. That aspect is all hearsay. I think it's unlikely that either player meant their actions to be specifically offensive towards Jews. But that's how it came across. And that's how it was always going to come across in a scandal-obsessed media. The two players gave public support to a comedian who - by pretty much every account - has an overtly anti-Semitic act. And they expressed that support (BAE only indirectly) via a gesture that many consider one of the anti-Semitic aspects of that act.

Whatever the rights and wrongs... that was never going to play well in the press. And before anyone starts complaining about "political correctness gone mad", I think there might be an element of that all right, but most of these "scandals" have nothing to do with PC, even though it generally gets the blame. In my view, 90% of it is tabloid media's constant search for scandal. It's them who print the pictures, them who make the innuendoes, them who hunt out some no-name from a fringe campaigning organisation and give them way more column inches than they merit, them who constantly hound the FA about whether or not disciplinary action will be taken, and fill the back pages with quotes from the half dozen "outraged" people out there. Then they spend the next week talking about political correctness gone mad. Nobody forced them to print all that garbage.

Obviously needed to get that off my chest :)

Anyway, BAE screwed up from a public relations standpoint, no question. And I can completely understand the club being unhappy with him because of that. Whether or not it was worthy of a ban? Or of the player's effective exile? That seems a bit extreme to me, and makes me think there might be more to it behind the scenes... some sort of serious falling-out between Assou-Ekotto and the chairman? Who knows?

Completely agree 24hr news needs feeding - once you run out of stuff to report on, you have to almost create stuff - Transfer gossip being footballs answer to this.
Calmness and reflection doesnt sell, did benny try to offend everyone NO, did him and Ade say 5-0 with their fingers NO. Will it stop media/people overreacting NO

The other thing that makes me laugh is the idea of "football men being better at running football" normally the same people who state that "we have to change the old boys network", I agree with better use of ex footballers and there are exceptions however. FIFA are corrupt and need all kicking out BUT

Take 11yr old out of mainline school and not really care about general education
Become multi-million pound footballer

When retired give control of Multi-Million pound contracts, negotiations, football strategy documents etc etc.

Hence why i completely understand the DOF role, im not sure i want a poorly educated footballer, who had a management team looking after them, taking control of a 250million pound company as "he knows the game".

/MyRantOver

Completely agree 24hr news needs feeding - once you run out of stuff to report on, you have to almost create stuff - Transfer gossip being footballs answer to this. Calmness and reflection doesnt sell

Just as well forums aren't like that.

Last edited:
Hasn't Ekotto stated numerous times that LOL to him in his tweets stand for lots of love? I can't bothered to dig up old articles but he was questioned about it before and you can tell it doesn't mean laugh out loud because of the context he uses it in almost every tweet

Hasn't Ekotto stated numerous times that LOL to him in his tweets stand for lots of love? I can't bothered to dig up old articles but he was questioned about it before and you can tell it doesn't mean laugh out loud because of the context he uses it in almost every tweet

No because Bonsaiboy has already ruled out the possibility of an acronym having two meanings wouldn't you know...

He has, I remember him tweeting this back in 2012 when he used to use lol after every tweet.

I think everyone here just gave up arguing lol

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

latest

Can I please clear up whether this is claimed to be against Jewish people or the Israeli state?

M'Bala and his cohorts believe that jewish people in France are secretly in control of the state and the French system.
And this is an 'anti-system' gesture.

This is the typical type of anti semitism that existed in Europe before the second world war.

And now he spends his time trolling jewish people in France as much as he can. Supporting the killings in the Jewish supermarket. Making films with Holocaust deniers and dressing up as Nazis. Telling a jewish journalist it was a pity he wasn't sent to the gas chambers.

He has, I remember him tweeting this back in 2012 when he used to use lol after every tweet.

I think everyone here just gave up arguing lol

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

He actually tweeted back at me in 2012 I went to an open training session and got the whole squad to sign my Spurs flag I tweeted at him saying he was the only player I missed getting on my flag and I was gutted, he responded "Sorry I was with physio rehabbing catch you next time lol"

now i am sure there are many more instances but clearly he is not laughing out loud in that context

He actually tweeted back at me in 2012 I went to an open training session and got the whole squad to sign my Spurs flag I tweeted at him saying he was the only player I missed getting on my flag and I was gutted, he responded "Sorry I was with physio rehabbing catch you next time lol"

now i am sure there are many more instances but clearly he is not laughing out loud in that context

Was there ever a next time? No? See, he knew...

To be fair, we have had in this league "convicted" racists with the likes of Terry and Suarez who are still regarded as superstars, so it seems a little strange that BAE is thrown out for so little imo. For me the issue is more that we have a player on the books that we are paying to essentially do nothing. Maybe you can be more racist towards one group than another though.

IMO its more an issue that the 25 man squad rule creates this situation that you have players like this who can't force their way back in no matter what they do in training and after months of doing nothing are not an appealing option for clubs in January..

The last few pages of this thread sum up a large societal problem

The inability to listen to other points of view once a argument has been made
I think internet forums ( not exclusively) have created a culture where people spout opinion without research or knowledge and then cannot back track even when they are corrected or presented with solid counter argument

I agree

Back