• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

David Beckham Announces Retirement, Lovely Gesture

Dunno how this could be a bad thing at all? So his brand gets a boost...who cares. A charity is still getting some serious cash.

Re: David Beckham, Lovely Gesture

People who are slating him need to get a grip. He's going to be donating a very large sum of money to charity - that can only be a good thing.

I fudging love D-Beck and I genuinely think the sun shines out of his arse.

Haters go'n hate...

I remember hearing how players when away with england did not go out and the countries trips out for the day to meet mandela and stuff like that because it was just the david beckham roadshow.

Everything that man does is to further things for himself. He represents this modern celebrity stuff perfectly and i fudging hate him he is up there with lampard for me as a hate figure. Respect that game against Greece but that is the only thing good going for him.

Would have been a better gesture if he had donated his wages to a uk charity and not a French one though

Why so? He will be living in France so giving to a French charity seems reasonable and quite a nice gesture. I bet the French public would not think so

Why so? He will be living in France so giving to a French charity seems reasonable and quite a nice gesture. I bet the French public would not think so

Will he?

I thought his son had joined Chelsea Academy or something..

I remember hearing how players when away with england did not go out and the countries trips out for the day to meet mandela and stuff like that because it was just the david beckham roadshow.

Everything that man does is to further things for himself. He represents this modern celebrity stuff perfectly and i fudging hate him he is up there with lampard for me as a hate figure. Respect that game against Greece but that is the only thing good going for him.

How come mate? I know us fans give him a ribbing on the pitch but I've always thought he comes across very well outside of football.

How come mate? I know us fans give him a ribbing on the pitch but I've always thought he comes across very well outside of football.

slags us off every chance he gets

one of my happiest memories at spurs is when chelsea came to the lane after the 2006 world cup and he came over to take a corner and the whole end chanted "you cost england the world cup" i swear you could see a tear in his eye. The fat fudging ****.

i remember that "lampard, you let your country down" you could see him physically affected by it, he shrunk about 2 inches

i remember that "lampard, you let your country down" you could see him physically affected by it, he shrunk about 2 inches

25 shots he had in thaat world cup and not a goal, show how he won the lottery at chelsea, got to play the free role in midfield and could have 20 shots a game without people caring, honestly think he is no better then jenas

jenas would have got as many goals for chelsea as lampard and i aint no jenas fan

The people who question motives on giving to charity really need to get a fudging grip .. really?

You think a starving child, or a kid that gets a sponsorship, or medicine gives a fudge if the person who gave it got good PR out of it?

As for Beckham, the hate is just tiresome, lots of footballers don't need money anymore, pick your favourite, what % of their salary do they give away?

The people who question motives on giving to charity really need to get a fudging grip .. really?

You think a starving child, or a kid that gets a sponsorship, or medicine gives a fudge if the person who gave it got good PR out of it?

As for Beckham, the hate is just tiresome, lots of footballers don't need money anymore, pick your favourite, what % of their salary do they give away?

You're right - let's never question anything as long as someone in need is getting a helping hand.

Id imagine there are a lot of footballers out there that give to charity but don't feel the need to make a song and dance about it - they haven't even named which charities are getting the money yet so there's no publicity to be had for the causes - so why the need to tell everyone what you're doing?

Yes he's doing it all for himself. Yes he's a publicity freak etc. But the truth is that there is simply nothing negative in what he's doing. What were his options?

Keep all his wages: Good for him, not for the charity

Give all to the charity, but on the sly: The thing is that charities crave publicity and want attention. It's a fundamental requirement to sustain their existence and draw attention to an issue. I bet if he had gone to them to give money but said to keep it confidential, they would have been begging him to go public with it. Hold a press conference and shout it from the roof tops.

It's a bit if a double edged sword really. Privately giving to charity, with no fuss always seems like a good thing. However the charity would always want you to spread the word.

I think on the whole he's doing the right thing

It's a bit if a double edged sword really. Privately giving to charity, with no fuss always seems like a good thing. However the charity would always want you to spread the word.

Seeings as as yet there are no charities linked to recieve this publicity you speak of it's clear the announcment was purely self serving.

Credit to him for doing it, i am maybe coming across like im negative on the whole thing, that's not the case - but Beckham and his willingness to attach his name/face to whoever pays him enough money is something ive always disliked (looked like a G on that speedboat tbf) - he'll have negotiated an extra few % on his image rights deal and will still be making more per week than most of his team mates.

When does this 75% tax law come in over there btw?

Last edited:

Yes he's doing it all for himself. Yes he's a publicity freak etc. But the truth is that there is simply nothing negative in what he's doing. What were his options?

Keep all his wages: Good for him, not for the charity

Give all to the charity, but on the sly: The thing is that charities crave publicity and want attention. It's a fundamental requirement to sustain their existence and draw attention to an issue. I bet if he had gone to them to give money but said to keep it confidential, they would have been begging him to go public with it. Hold a press conference and shout it from the roof tops.

Both the Beckham's have been giving privately to charity for some time according to people in the media industry that I know (I know, maybe not the best 'sources' but they are friends who have no need to flimflam). And you are absolutely correct, some of these charities have requested that they go public now to promote awareness.

Great name by the way!

Seeings as as yet there are no charities linked to recieve this publicity you speak of it's clear the announcment was purely self serving.

Credit to him for doing it, i am maybe coming across like im negative on the whole thing, that's not the case - but Beckham and his willingness to attach his name/face to whoever pays him enough money is something ive always disliked (looked like a G on that speedboat tbf) - he'll have negotiated an extra few % on his image rights deal and will still be making more per week than most of his team mates.

It does work both ways though. The extra % he'll get from image rights is swallowed up by the money the club will make. Didn't Madrid make back the transfer fee they paid to United for him in some ridiculously short time just from shirt sales alone? I know it can leave a vulgar taste in the mouth, but the man sells and that's why he makes the big bucks.

Back