• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2016 Group F - Austria, Hungary, Iceland, Portugal

Does anyone actually like Ronaldo or enjoy watching him play?

I'm obviously biased, have always hated the guy, but he's undeniably very hard to like. His body langauge during matches is always extremely negative, blaming everyone and everything for everything that goes wrong, whining and bitching - it's just too much. He might be an incredibly skilled footballer, but the negatives just eats up the positives with this guy. If you've seen the documentary on him, there's even more reasons to hate the guy. Such a lonely self-centered megalomaniac - it's almost a bit sad, but just almost - as it's his incredibly arrogant attitude that no doubt makes him such a lonely unlikeable guy in the first place. If he was a bit more humble, and maybe focused less on himself and his personal success, he'd probably be an even better footballer, and certainly easier to like.

I'm obviously biased, have always hated the guy, but he's undeniably very hard to like. His body langauge during matches is always extremely negative, blaming everyone and everything for everything that goes wrong, whining and bitching - it's just too much. He might be an incredibly skilled footballer, but the negatives just eats up the positives with this guy. If you've seen the documentary on him, there's even more reasons to hate the guy. Such a lonely self-centered megalomaniac - it's almost a bit sad, but just almost - as it's his incredibly arrogant attitude that no doubt makes him such a lonely unlikeable guy in the first place. If he was a bit more humble, and maybe focused less on himself and his personal success, he'd probably be an even better footballer, and certainly easier to like.

Hmm, I think his selfishness makes possibly makes him the player he is. But on the other hand, his crossing for example and passing is top notch so the team would benefit from him being more of a team player and a provider like Messi is for Barca.

"The former Plymouth Argyle, Rotherham United and Aberdeen defender [Kari] Arnason has not taken Ronaldo’s condescension lightly. “He’s a fantastic footballer but he’s not a gracious human being,” responded the Malmo central defender, who enjoyed a commanding night against Portugal’s front line. “The thing is we almost nicked the win so him saying we weren’t going for the win contradicts that. We got a draw and could have nicked it.

“Obviously we’re not going to create as much chances as a fantastic team like Portugal but his comments are the reason why Messi is always going to be one step ahead of him. You wouldn’t expect Messi to say that. It shows we got under his skin. It was lovely to hear that.”

“It makes it even sweeter when he’s a sore loser like that. He can say whatever he wants. He didn’t really get a chance. He got one and he couldn’t put it away. What can I say? Sore loser. Tough brick. What does he expect – for us to play like Barcelona against him? He fannies about and dives around.”
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...n-cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-sore-loser-messi

The Icelandic fans were great. Not sure anyone else heard it, but that war-cry esque "chant" where they would all uniformly go quiet only to roar at the beat of a drum was awesome. I doubt the Russians would charge that group of fans.

"The former Plymouth Argyle, Rotherham United and Aberdeen defender [Kari] Arnason has not taken Ronaldo’s condescension lightly. “He’s a fantastic footballer but he’s not a gracious human being,” responded the Malmo central defender, who enjoyed a commanding night against Portugal’s front line. “The thing is we almost nicked the win so him saying we weren’t going for the win contradicts that. We got a draw and could have nicked it.

“Obviously we’re not going to create as much chances as a fantastic team like Portugal but his comments are the reason why Messi is always going to be one step ahead of him. You wouldn’t expect Messi to say that. It shows we got under his skin. It was lovely to hear that.”

“It makes it even sweeter when he’s a sore loser like that. He can say whatever he wants. He didn’t really get a chance. He got one and he couldn’t put it away. What can I say? Sore loser. Tough brick. What does he expect – for us to play like Barcelona against him? He fannies about and dives around.”
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...n-cristiano-ronaldo-portugal-sore-loser-messi

Well put, Kari! Right on all accounts. I hope those comments get through to Ronaldo, especially the Messi part. :D

Yet another reminder of what a massive knobhead Ronaldo is. Really wanted him to miss that penalty in the CL final, he just had to take the 5th penalty and be the glory boy didn't he?! Did the same thing at Euro 2012 but he didn't get the chance to take one as or the Portugese players before him missed.

The one big difference between him and Messi; Ronaldo is a phenomenal goalscorer, but Messi creates far more for others and his involved far more in the general play as opposed to glory boy Ronaldo who would probably rather score a hat trick and lose 4-3 than score none and win 3-0.
Yep! You see it all the time when other on the team scores. you can see him thinking "It should have been me!" I have NEVER seen him celebrate a goal not scored by him. Same yesterday. Also, I just don't believe him with his tweet to the fans after the game: "Thanx for the support!"

Does anyone actually like Ronaldo or enjoy watching him play?

yeah, I do

he's obviously a monumental prick but he wouldn't have come so far without the ego and the work ethic

his abilities are as much a product of drive and dedication as they are natural talent

his powers are clearly declining but he really is an all time great

yeah, I do

he's obviously a monumental prick but he wouldn't have come so far without the ego and the work ethic

his abilities are as much a product of drive and dedication as they are natural talent

his powers are clearly declining but he really is an all time great

But in Messi's shadow still.

But in Messi's shadow still.

I don't see that as relevant to the question, I've had the pleasure of driving a Vanquish around Silverstone, I know there is possibly a better car out there but it didn't diminish my enjoyment.

It's not Highlander, they can both be brilliant and appreciated for what they are, in the rush to organise the bookshelf we ignore the beauty on the pages. Would Pele or Maradonna have been rated any differently had their careers aligned?

If Ronaldo is worthy of that level of comparison (which he must be as almost every sentence written about the man mentions the Argentine as well) then he must be a special player at the very least, or should we judge all players against Messi, that would make MotD even more boring surely,

Linker: So Alan, what do you make of Lloris's performance today?

Shearer: He's not as good as Messi.

Lineker: Ok, and how about Clattenbergs decision for the penalty?

Lineker: Thanks Alan, that's all we have time for this week but MotD2 is on tomorrow and on Monday you can see a new documentary charting the career of Sir David Attenborough, one of Britain's finest broadcasters and naturalists who...

Gylfi! Iceland to go through to the knock out stage? Amazing from a country with 325.000 inhabitants.

That means 7 out of the 46 goals in the tournament so far have been scored by former or present Spurs players.

Equaliser 87th minute, shame. Thought Iceland would hold on now. Can't say it's undeserved though.

Back