• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Footballer out of touch with reality shocker! (aka Rio Ferdinand)

Re: Rio Ferdinand

He was tagged in a message that read: "Maybe QPR will sign a good CB (centre back) they need one" and wrote back: "get ya mum in, plays the field well son! #sket"

ridiculous imo, if he wants to show himself up like that then that should be punishment enough

you should be able to give back in kind in those situations

Did he really write that? How these players don't get attacked out and about more often is beyond me.

He got 3 matches for saying Sket

Terry for 4 matches for calling Anton a ********************************************************** etc

Ridiculous

He got 3 matches for saying Sket

Terry for 4 matches for calling Anton a ********************************************************** etc

Ridiculous

I don't particularly like Ferdinand but the fine and 3 match ban (which I can't understand at all) do not seem proportionate with the crime. Players say worse on the pitch all the time and you don't have to be a lip reader to figure out what they are saying. A smaller fine and twitter ban would seem more appropriate.

This, rightly or wrongly, is about the image of the game. The FA and PL don't want players making controversial statements on social media. If they are consistent with punishments this policy could be effective.

In contrast, what happens on the pitch tends to stay there or just be heard by a few fans. They only act when they have to and it gets widespread media coverage. Clearly this is hypocritical but it's all about their global image.

Seems its a nice little earner for the FA:

Think before you tweet: FA has made £350,000 in Twitter fines since 2011

The FA has collected around £350,000 in fines from social-media-related offences. Since 2010-11 when Ryan Babel, then of Liverpool, became the first player to be censured after he posted a photograph of the referee Howard Webb mocked up in a Manchester United shirt, the FA has investigated 121 instances of inappropriate comments on social media.

Of those cases, 18 have resulted in no further action being taken; 27 resulted in warnings; 16 resulted in the participant being reminded of their responsibilities and 60 led to charges. Of the charges, 33 have involved aggravated breaches of the rules which came into force in 2010‑11 and were tightened up in May 2013 as part of English football’s inclusion and anti-discrimination plan.

Added to the sanctioning element at that point was the introduction of an educational programme the FA considered as being important to guard against re-offending. Ferdinand has been ordered to attend the one-to-one sessions within four months.

Full article: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/30/fa-fines-rio-ferdinand-twitter

1. Ashley Cole. £90,000 (2012) - described the FA as a “bunch of ****s” after they had questioned the evidence he gave on behalf of Terry
2. Benoit Assou-Ekotto. £50,000 (2014) - message in support of Nicolas Anelka’s “quenelle” gesture (plus three match ban).
3. Rio Ferdinand. £45,000 (2012) - for appearing to endorse a tweet referring to Ashley Cole on Twitter as a “choc ice”
4. Rio Ferdinand. £25,000 (2014) - referred to the mother of a Twitter user as “sket”,(plus three match ban).
5. Carlton Cole. £20,000 (2011) - comments he posted during England’s friendly against Ghana.

can't believe the players accepted that, I'd have told the fa to go **** themselves, on Twitter

surely only their employer can fine them, they don't have a contract with the fa

can't believe the players accepted that, I'd have told the fa to go **** themselves, on Twitter

surely only their employer can fine them, they don't have a contract with the fa

You have to register to be able to play competitive football. That probably includes agreeing to certain things.

The FA do it for the same reason Glory-Glory does it, although the latter can't apply the fines that would quickly fund the whole enterprise. It's the advertisers and corporates who are prudish, probably unnecessarily so, given that their customers are often the one's they expect to be censored.

Thinking about it a swear box approach could probably fund much of the internet.

I get that but it doesn't make sense to me, if a footballer abuses me on Twitter (or in person) my logic isnt gonna be

offended
he plays for qpr
they are in the pl
it's has a sponsorship deal with McDonald's
not taking my kids there on Saturday

we seem to live in a society now where people think they have a right to never be offended, even when they are offensive themselves

I think its a joke - how the **** has football become so serious that a few remarks outside the game is taken so seriously... a bit of a joke mountains molehills and all that

It could be worse:

Footballer banned for 50 years ...

A fourth division player in Switzerland has been handed a 50-year ban after kicking a ball in the referee’s face and then spraying him with water.

According to the Swiss newspaper Blick, the defender Ricardo Ferreira of Portugal Futebol Clube was an unused substitute in the 1-0 defeat by SC Worb in the local Bern league. But it was not until after the match that he entered the fray, kicking the ball in the referee’s face and then hurling insults as the official made his way to the tunnel before squirting him with water.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/01/footballer-banned-50-years-kicking-referee-face

Back