• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Good move, but I am somewhat worried about the 'too many cooks spoiling the broth' adage coming horrifically to life. We now apparently have Baldini,this Mitchell guy, and Broomfield all doing overlapping jobs when it comes to scouting. A Harry-era scout, an AVB-era DoF and now a Poch-era...erm, scouting analyst? This worries me.

Baldini is very good at getting deals done. With Levy as Chairman we need him.
Levy would never have got the Soldado deal done for instance without Baldini. Okay he hasnt exactly worked out as a player.
But we've not gonna have deals falling through over money with Levy ****ing everyone off with take it or leave it offers with Baldini doing the deals.

Baldini is very good at getting deals done. With Levy as Chairman we need him.
Levy would never have got the Soldado deal done for instance without Baldini. Okay he hasnt exactly worked out as a player.
But we've not gonna have deals falling through over money with Levy ****ing everyone off with take it or leave it offers with Baldini doing the deals.

Eh? That's because we're finally paying top £££.

26m for soldado? 30m for lamela? it doesn't matter who the DOF is...those clubs would accept those deals with anyone.

That isn't top dollar, though. Not anymore. David Luiz went for 50 million, and whatever you think of Lamela, he is objectively better than David goddamn Luiz. But that's just how prices have become these days.

Good move, but I am somewhat worried about the 'too many cooks spoiling the broth' adage coming horrifically to life. We now apparently have Baldini,this Mitchell guy, and Broomfield all doing overlapping jobs when it comes to scouting. A Harry-era scout, an AVB-era DoF and now a Poch-era...erm, scouting analyst? This worries me.

Could be. It could also be that slightly different approaches could feed more information into the decision making process and help the club make better decisions.

That isn't top dollar, though. Not anymore. David Luiz went for 50 million, and whatever you think of Lamela, he is objectively better than David goddamn Luiz. But that's just how prices have become these days.

Agreed. The way the market has been inflated recently, no doubt help by the latest infusion of TV-money, the prices have chanced for sure.

I'm not sure I would use the David Luiz deal to base any numbers on.... It just all looked a bit dodgy to me that one!... I am just wondering at what point Chelsea will give PSG the back scratch they owe them!

Could be. It could also be that slightly different approaches could feed more information into the decision making process and help the club make better decisions.

Hopefully that will be the case, although it still baffles me as to how this set up is going to work (Broomfield presumably recommends a player using his old-school scouting nous, Mitchell then analyses him using his fancy modern statistical approaches, and Baldini...erm, takes care of his wonderful flowing mane, I guess?). I'll take any backing for Poch that Levy provides, however inconsequential, so I'm still in favour of this move.

I'm not sure I would use the David Luiz deal to base any numbers on.... It just all looked a bit dodgy to me that one!... I am just wondering at what point Chelsea will give PSG the back scratch they owe them!

You're right, there's a lot that seems dodgy about that deal when it comes to circumventing FFP....but then you look at Pastore and Lucas Moura, both of whom went for considerably more than Lamela ultimately did and both of whom I think are about equal to Lamela's abilities and potential. Overall, it seems like we got a deal on Lamela, even as we made him our record signing: these days, prices are insane.

Hopefully that will be the case, although it still baffles me as to how this set up is going to work (Broomfield presumably recommends a player using his old-school scouting nous, Mitchell then analyses him using his fancy modern statistical approaches, and Baldini...erm, takes care of his wonderful flowing mane, I guess?). I'll take any backing for Poch that Levy provides, however inconsequential, so I'm still in favour of this move.

How it's actually going to work backstage is obviously impossible to know from the outside. But if implemented correctly there's no reason to think that it will be a too many cooks situation. Too many cooks is only really a problem if there's a lack of leadership and organization, most good kitchens have several cooks :)

You're right, there's a lot that seems dodgy about that deal when it comes to circumventing FFP....but then you look at Pastore and Lucas Moura, both of whom went for considerably more than Lamela ultimately did and both of whom I think are about equal to Lamela's abilities and potential. Overall, it seems like we got a deal on Lamela, even as we made him our record signing: these days, prices are insane.

Agreed. Pastore, Moura and Luiz might have been inflated by the PSG money hype, but the Premier League money hype isn't that far behind, and for the signings where we obviously had Bale money available it's not like we were alley cats begging for scraps.

Lamela was bought by Roma for somewhere around €20m from a relegated(!) team in Argentina. His price rising to what we paid after one good and one very good season in Serie A really was no less than market value I would say.

Watch this for four minutes from 6:17

It clearly demonstrates Mitchell's role - running a team of kids that edit videos, giving reports, advice, videos to the coaches etc, nothing at all like Baldini's role

http://youtu.be/ShdaWbMUFfE?t=6m17s

It clearly demonstrates Mitchell's role - running a team of kids that edit videos, giving reports, advice, videos to the coaches etc, nothing at all like Baldini's role

Haven't watched the vid yet, will do now, but my question is if his role is nothing like Baldini's why is he supposedly so insistent about his role not reporting to Baldini?

That type of scouting tells who nothing about the character of the player you're looking at.
We need leaders and determined winners. We have enough tecnically good players with potential all capable of putting in a good performance on a good day.

That type of scouting tells who nothing about the character of the player you're looking at.
We need leaders and determined winners. We have enough tecnically good players with potential all capable of putting in a good performance on a good day.

Maybe Poch and Baldini feel that they have other people who can identify that and what they are short of is player analysis.

That's where someone like Baldini with his network comes in.

You put together a list of players to keep an eye on, then start making calls if you're thinking about making a move.

Back