• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

sure, thats true, but think about how much his international Spanish teammates are earning elsewhere....atm he is Spain's number 1 striker, ahead of Torres, Villa, Llorente

well done to Baldini and Levy for getting him over i reckon =D>

yep, brilliant business. Don't even care if he cost us £26m if I am honest with you. If he can contribute to our season, score goals and win us games than who cares what he cost. Baldini going to Valencia to speak it over seems to have worked wonders and I am glad both Soldado and baldini are at our club.

To me the main difference is we are ignoring the British market and not buying players British agents are touting to Harry.

Let's not try and blame Arry for that when we bought Sigurdsson and Dempsey last season.

Our best transfer window in recent history was 11/12 season imo.

Let's not try and blame Arry for that when we bought Sigurdsson and Dempsey last season.

Our best transfer window in recent history was 11/12 season imo.

01/07/2011 Friedel
01/07/2011 Ceballos
11/07/2011 Coulibaly
01/08/2011 Parker
01/08/2011 Adebayor
01/01/2012 Saha
01/01/2012 Nelsen
16/01/2012 Falque
01/02/2012 Gallifuoco
01/05/2012 Grant Hall

Last edited:
Compare that to 12/13:

04/07/2012 - Sigurdsson
12/07/2012 - Vertonghen
21/08/2012 - Adebayor
28/08/2012 - Dembele
31/08/2012 - Lloris
31/08/2012 - Dempsey
03/01/2013 - Fryers
28/01/2013 - Holtby

01/07/2011 Friedel
01/07/2011 Ceballos
11/07/2011 Coulibaly
01/08/2011 Parker
01/08/2011 Adebayor
01/01/2012 Saha
01/01/2012 Nelsen
16/01/2012 Falque
01/02/2012 Gallifuoco
01/05/2012 Grant Hall

Why have you bolded Adebayor? i was talking about the 11/12 summer window btw.

That list includes all the summer signings.

Adebayor was the deal of the summer. Turned us into title challengers.

Defoe scores against City, who knows?

Ah ok fair enough.

That summer was pretty awesome in terms of transfer dealings and very underrated by fans. I mean we had a mere 6m to spend an we managed to bring in:

1) Adebayor - Had a superb season and contributed massively. Scored and assisted...i mean he was brilliant.

2) Parker - Had a superb season and was our player of the season. I think he was our MOTM his first 7 or so games in a row....brilliant signing.

3) Friedel - Had a very good season and was a calm and reassuring presence in the team.

3 players signed for the first team and all 3 playing pivotal roles in our season not to mention we kept Modric after relentless pressure from Chavski.

I thought both years were testament to how good the club was becoming, by acquiring some really good players and not breaking the bank. Especially considering how we were replacing players like carrick, berbs , modric and vdv along the way, and still being able to push for top four on a tight budget. That's changed now, it seems, with Baldinid arrival. Still we don't have a massive stadium to help with pay for these transfers, so .... An interesting question now would be "what would it take to replace bale" ?

Ah ok fair enough.

That summer was pretty awesome in terms of transfer dealings and very underrated by fans. I mean we had a mere 6m to spend an we managed to bring in:

1) Adebayor - Had a superb season and contributed massively. Scored and assisted...i mean he was brilliant.

2) Parker - Had a superb season and was our player of the season. I think he was our MOTM his first 7 or so games in a row....brilliant signing.

3) Friedel - Had a very good season and was a calm and reassuring presence in the team.

3 players signed for the first team and all 3 playing pivotal roles in our season not to mention we kept Modric after relentless pressure from Chavski.

I agree that we did really well that window, but all of those were short term solutions. A year down the line and we were looking for another goalkeeper, Parker was starting to look past it and Ade had to be signed again.

Last summer's signings seem likely to provide us with more long term answers and I think we had a net spend of less than £6m. We had to replace quite a few players and did so to the tune of amassing our best ever points total with a new manager and 4-5 new players to integrate into the starting 11. That to me seems like a much stronger performance in a transfer window, but seemingly this summer will blow last summer out of the water. Hopefully that's the feeling we have when looking back on this summer in hindsight too :)

I haven't figured out why in my head yet but it seems to be a common thing in the industry, that the smaller clubs let the bigger clubs make their moves first, and once they have done, it causes a domino effect when each rung of lesser club then makes theirs.

Obviously small clubs will sign players whenever, but I remember something last summer, reading something suggesting the market was stagnant because everyone was waiting to see what Chelsea were going to do or something. And once one big move happened, it could kick the rest of them off.

Part of it should be about the money trickling down, but I suspect it's more about seeing who becomes available, then taking a punt, with no real plan for how you build your squad.

I agree that we did really well that window, but all of those were short term solutions. A year down the line and we were looking for another goalkeeper, Parker was starting to look past it and Ade had to be signed again.

Last summer's signings seem likely to provide us with more long term answers and I think we had a net spend of less than £6m. We had to replace quite a few players and did so to the tune of amassing our best ever points total with a new manager and 4-5 new players to integrate into the starting 11. That to me seems like a much stronger performance in a transfer window, but seemingly this summer will blow last summer out of the water. Hopefully that's the feeling we have when looking back on this summer in hindsight too :)

I think the difference with this window is there is a clear vision for the next few seasons...

i'm not so sure yet.
- we bought paulinho and soldado at market and club record price (same for capoue if it comes true), didn't see any discounts there
- the two young roma boys was set up but seems like we missed out...
- sold dempsey and caulker at pretty good prices, but really these were the easiest players to sell
- we've still got a lot of players on our books, seems like we're buying before we sell, hope we'll be able to get rid of the rest without a fire sale

and against this all will be whether bale stays or go...i think we won't be able to judge until then.

Do you actually understand Baldini's role? He liases with players and agents and tries to attract them to the club and does a very good job doing so as the calibre of players we are in for means we face a lot of competition. It's not his job to get the best price for such players, we have this guy called Daniel Levy which does that....

In the cold light of day, I find it amazing that we are signing players like Lloris, Vert, Paulinho and Soldado unopposed. We are a, albeit promising, team that generally doesn't get CL or win things!

Money. The reason this transfer window is potentially the best for a while is because we've finally spent some money. AND we've done it before the season even starts.

Anyone who claims that this IS the best transfer window is jumping the gun. Transfer windows are not judged at the time, but a year or two down the line. Out of all our signings Soldado is the one to be excited about as he is proven in a major league, but due to his age we need to be making the most of him now. All of the others, including Paulinho, are risks. A lot of high profile big money signings flop (not just at Spurs) and dare I say that players that don't live up their billing exceed those that do. If all of our signings come off this year it will be simply amazing, but highly unlikely. Just look at last season. Lloris is superb, Vertonghen looks good but defensively he isn't brilliant, Holtby underwhelmed, Dempsey has already gone, Sigurdsson disappointed and despite some love for him on this forum I just don't get the fuss about Dembele and expect him to lose regular first team status over the next couple of seasons. Bar Bale our best player last year ended up being Dawson, who didn't (still doesn't probably, just that we are having to make do) feature in the "project" plan anyway and has been at the club for years. Out of all of the signings for last season Lloris is the one who was inspired and I expect the others to fade away pretty quickly. I expect a similar thing will happen after this window. One will be great, the others will fade away.

My other fear is that if we lose Bale, this is all too little too late. People crow about our points total last year, but last year wasn't good enough because comparative to our peers we dropped from 4th to 5th and it's the league position that dictates how good you are, not a points total. A good transfer window last season would have seen us get 4th again.

Looking at the state of the lower and mid-table teams this year I wouldn't be shocked if the 6th place team this season gets more points than we did last season. There's a real gap opening up in the Premiership between the top six/seven clubs. The rest are all relegation fodder. For all our wheeling and dealing if we fail to get top four this season then this transfer window cannot be regarded as a successful one.

Lastly it is sad that the English heart of the club is being ripped out. Foreign fans (or even English fans with few family connections to London) won't give a fudge but, no disrespect to them, they don't truly understand the meaning of being a Spurs fan. Growing up watching true local hero's playing for the club. Speaking to people who played with them at school, or who knows their parents etc. A few years ago every Spurs fan I spoke with was disgusted at Arsenal's lack of English core and that was one of the reasons that no matter how successful Arsenal were it meant fudge all because they weren't even an English club anymore. Now we're the same. I don't expect Dawson to last much longer, sadly none of the youngsters I can see making it. Walker will be flying the lone English flag in a couple of seasons with kids making up the necessary legal quota of other English players. The days we start consistently fielding XI foreigners in successive games is the day I stop following my beloved Spurs and football in general.

I know that after Chelsea AVB has little regard for English players, and probably wants to get them out of our club ASAP, but I do hope we win something that I can enjoy before he gets his way. An FA Cup win this season would be perfect, especially if our team had at least three English players (which in itself is so pathetic) in it when we did it.

This season hasn't started and i wouldn't hazard a guess as to who his first 11 is going to be.
I do know that many times last season, our first 11 included Dawson, Defoe, Walker and Lennon. We could even add Huddlestone if we wanted to be generous. Obviously Caulker's gone so he doesn't count anymore, but last season he was pretty regular.

I think before we write off AVB as someone who disrespects the English, we'd be wise to wait and see how it pans out...the most interesting thing would be to see how it works out IF he does take a predominantly less English player selection policy and we end up winning a trophy and/or making the CL...

This season hasn't started and i wouldn't hazard a guess as to who his first 11 is going to be.
I do know that many times last season, our first 11 included Dawson, Defoe, Walker and Lennon. We could even add Huddlestone if we wanted to be generous. Obviously Caulker's gone so he doesn't count anymore, but last season he was pretty regular.

I think before we write off AVB as someone who disrespects the English, we'd be wise to wait and see how it pans out...the most interesting thing would be to see how it works out IF he does take a predominantly less English player selection policy and we end up winning a trophy and/or making the CL...

We have to win a trophy if he goes down that route. We've successfully managed top four twice with a strong English core. Utd, City and Chelsea are the recent title winners with strong English cores. Finishing top four without a strong English core is something the scum have managed to do for season upon season, so I don't regard that as any sort of achievement.

Kaboul is the wild card. This season will probably end up with just Walker being a first choice regular if AVB rates Kaboul over Dawson. AVB doesn't rotate his squad, so for the league I can see plenty of games already where the 6 players encompassing the midfield/attack won't have an English presence especially if we sign the French holding midfielder (which surely spells the end of Huddlestone and Parker at the club).

Do you actually understand Baldini's role? He liases with players and agents and tries to attract them to the club and does a very good job doing so as the calibre of players we are in for means we face a lot of competition. It's not his job to get the best price for such players, we have this guy called Daniel Levy which does that....

...and do you think that baldini's role is actually just the PR guy?

...and do you think that baldini's role is actually just the PR guy?

Of course not, but your very first reason for not being convinced is you didn't see any 'discounts' on Soldado etc, Levy is the negotiator. Then your next reason to question him is a couple of Roma players we haven't signed...how do you even know we're in for them, how do you know they're even available? Seems like you're really scraping the barrel looking for reasons not to appreciate the work he's doing. Or is it just a coincidence he's come in and we are doing our deals a lot quicker, and the calibre of player is very good quality? I think not....

Money. The reason this transfer window is potentially the best for a while is because we've finally spent some money. AND we've done it before the season even starts.

Anyone who claims that this IS the best transfer window is jumping the gun. Transfer windows are not judged at the time, but a year or two down the line. Out of all our signings Soldado is the one to be excited about as he is proven in a major league, but due to his age we need to be making the most of him now. All of the others, including Paulinho, are risks. A lot of high profile big money signings flop (not just at Spurs) and dare I say that players that don't live up their billing exceed those that do. If all of our signings come off this year it will be simply amazing, but highly unlikely. Just look at last season. Lloris is superb, Vertonghen looks good but defensively he isn't brilliant, Holtby underwhelmed, Dempsey has already gone, Sigurdsson disappointed and despite some love for him on this forum I just don't get the fuss about Dembele and expect him to lose regular first team status over the next couple of seasons. Bar Bale our best player last year ended up being Dawson, who didn't (still doesn't probably, just that we are having to make do) feature in the "project" plan anyway and has been at the club for years. Out of all of the signings for last season Lloris is the one who was inspired and I expect the others to fade away pretty quickly. I expect a similar thing will happen after this window. One will be great, the others will fade away.

My other fear is that if we lose Bale, this is all too little too late. People crow about our points total last year, but last year wasn't good enough because comparative to our peers we dropped from 4th to 5th and it's the league position that dictates how good you are, not a points total. A good transfer window last season would have seen us get 4th again.

Looking at the state of the lower and mid-table teams this year I wouldn't be shocked if the 6th place team this season gets more points than we did last season. There's a real gap opening up in the Premiership between the top six/seven clubs. The rest are all relegation fodder. For all our wheeling and dealing if we fail to get top four this season then this transfer window cannot be regarded as a successful one.

Lastly it is sad that the English heart of the club is being ripped out. Foreign fans (or even English fans with few family connections to London) won't give a fudge but, no disrespect to them, they don't truly understand the meaning of being a Spurs fan. Growing up watching true local hero's playing for the club. Speaking to people who played with them at school, or who knows their parents etc. A few years ago every Spurs fan I spoke with was disgusted at Arsenal's lack of English core and that was one of the reasons that no matter how successful Arsenal were it meant fudge all because they weren't even an English club anymore. Now we're the same. I don't expect Dawson to last much longer, sadly none of the youngsters I can see making it. Walker will be flying the lone English flag in a couple of seasons with kids making up the necessary legal quota of other English players. The days we start consistently fielding XI foreigners in successive games is the day I stop following my beloved Spurs and football in general.

I know that after Chelsea AVB has little regard for English players, and probably wants to get them out of our club ASAP, but I do hope we win something that I can enjoy before he gets his way. An FA Cup win this season would be perfect, especially if our team had at least three English players (which in itself is so pathetic) in it when we did it.

I'm not sure how much of your post was a reply to my post so I'm not quite sure how much to answer too.

Yes, money is obviously significant. Not sure if I ever gave the impression this isn't the case.

What I said was: "but seemingly this summer will blow last summer out of the water. Hopefully that's the feeling we have when looking back on this summer in hindsight too" Like I said, I'm not sure if what you wrote was a reply to me, if so I'm not sure how I could have made myself more clearly understood.

You're sad about our diminishing English core, but you also demand a top 4 finish for our transfer dealings to be considered a success. As far as I can see no team that were in the top 7 last season have spent even an iota of their transfer budget on an English first team player this season. The only English player being chased by the top teams is Rooney, a player I think we cannot sign.

I suggest you either make your suggestions of who we could have signed that's English and as good and as good value as Soldado, Chadli, Paulinho and our foreign signings from last season or you should give up on one of your wishes for what you want our transfer committee to accomplish. To me, at this point in time, the wish to significantly improve our team in the transfer market within our budget and keeping an undiminished English core in our starting 11 and squad seem mutually exclusive.

Back