• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

John Stones

Is Stones any better than Dier at this point? They will both improve with age. Defending is about experience.

Stones has never been better than Dier ... even ignoring Dier's ability to play multiple positions

Dier was a key part of a solution that made Spurs much better defensively, Stones has moved to title winning side and has "helped" the defense look like league 1 quality.

In 3 years from now, Stones will be playing for Stoke/West Ham/whoever

Dier is perfect for the right side of the three, will take a bit of time to get up to speed but confident he will make it his own. Not so much as part of a two

Dier is a very good defender prone to the odd lapse of concentration, and this is mostly due to his lack of experience IMO. He is a truly excellent DM, possibly not as good as Wanyama, but definitely in the top 5 in the league in that position. I'm sure he made the odd slip up now and again in the DM role too, it was just that it those mistakes were not punished as harshly.

Comparatively he is not playing as well this season as last but considering he is playing in a different position, that comparison is not really fair. From what I can see he has struggled a little in a back two but when we switch to a back three he has looked fine. He just needs to go a few games on the spin without any glaring errors to build his confidence back up. And even now, at his current level he is far better than most of the CB's in the league IMO. We are lucky to have him.

Last edited:
His peers at similar ages or younger, Baily / Ake / Keane /Stones are in the conversation. Not sure I would want any of these over Dier in a 3.

Well if given the choice i would rather have Dier then the VASTLY overated Stones.
is Baily not rated anymore? I don't watch a hell of a lot of Man U but he seemed to be held in high regard -

regardless just fro reference Baily £30M - Stones £50M - Keane they are talking about £30M

is Baily not rated anymore? I don't watch a hell of a lot of Man U but he seemed to be held in high regard -

regardless just fro reference Baily £30M - Stones £50M - Keane they are talking about £30M

I can not say i know ( or seen) a lot of Baily to be honest however as far as i am aware he is the same age as Dier , the thing about Dier is we know he can be great in CM as well as being able to play CB and RB, not sure Baily could do that.

Back