• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Lionel Messi

Stats mean very little in such arguments of 'dominance'. I watched that game and Utd didn't deserve to win

Please don't deviate from the original point with a off-topic argument - do you really think La Liga contains a stronger array of teams than the PL?

You are the one deviating from the original post of Messi being the worlds greatest player with your dislike for the player.

In relation to your sub plot yes i think La liga contains a stronger array of teams than the PL and contains the top 5 players in the world IMO.

Most goals in a calendar year - 86
Most goals in a season: 68
Most goals in a European Cup season: 14 (jointly with Jose Altafini)
Most goals in a La Liga season: 50
Most La Liga hat-tricks in a season: 8
Most European Cup top scorer awards: 4 (with Gerd Mueller)
Most goals in a single European Cup game: 5
Most goals scored in Spanish Super Cup: 10
Most consecutive La Liga matches scored in: 10
Most goals in Club World Cup: 4 (held jointly with Denilson)
Barcelona's top goalscorer in all official competitions: 281
Barcelona's record goalscorer in Champions League: 56
Most La Liga hat-tricks: 15

It would be interesting to see Messi in the PL, of course, and I don't think he'd get that many goals playing there. He also benefits a lot from playing for one of the best club sides ever, but I'd still bet good money on him for PL top goalscorer, provided he played for a decent team (obviously excludes the likes of Chelski and Stoke).

I think he'd do whatever he likes to be honest. Ronaldo scored 40 goals in a season for United, and that was Ronaldo before his prime! So I think Messi would do just fine. He gets kicked to pieces, especially by Madrid! He could stand up to the physical side of the game. La Liga is a better league than the PL now IMO and has been for a couple of years. The teams don't defend very well, but no one else in Spain has managed to get 86 goals.

I'm saying the overall PL quality is considerably higher - as outlined by others as well

Blackburn also 'caned' the top team in England last year - just for some perspective

I wonder what most people outside of England would say to this.

When the PL was at its peak, we had 3 teams in the CL semis regularly or 2 at the minimum. None of the top 4 teams in Europe are English.

Styles and builds aren't much different but Aguero got what? 23 in his debut season? gives defenders torrid times. Messi would do the same but at a much better level.

He'd comfortably score 30 prem goals a season, but I agree that I don't think he would get 80+ in a calendar year if he was at a Prem club. I mean Ronaldo only got 30 league goals once in the Prem.

I agree, but only because the Prem is more physically demanding, and we don't have a winter break for the players to recharge their batteries. But I rate the Spanish league higher in terms of quality. The only downside is the dominance of Real and Barca. Would be great to see Atletico finish 2nd behind Barca, or maybe even win the league.

I wonder what most people outside of England would say to this.

When the PL was at its peak, we had 3 teams in the CL semis regularly or 2 at the minimum. None of the top 4 teams in Europe are English.

I am outside of England, and in my opinion that is very much the case.

We get a lot of live European footy down here (most top leagues) and the level and overall quality if almost impossible to compare with the PL overall

I agree, but only because the Prem is more physically demanding, and we don't have a winter break for the players to recharge their batteries. But I rate the Spanish league higher in terms of quality. The only downside is the dominance of Real and Barca. Would be great to see Atletico finish 2nd behind Barca, or maybe even win the league.

Thats why. I don't think the likes of Shawcross, Huth etc. bother him, lets be realistic.

It's the fact it's so heavy fixtured.

i think the type of referring would make a difference as well, the premier league game is far more relaxed with physicality and shirt pulling

similar case with Suarez and Tevez too. All 4 men are strong on the ball and have unreal balance. The whole " he wont cut it in the prem " talk are just Ronaldo nut huggers really because he did do it in the Prem.

similar case with Suarez and Tevez too. All 4 men are strong on the ball and have unreal balance. The whole " he wont cut it in the prem " talk are just Ronaldo nut huggers really because he did do it in the Prem.

Exactly. Modric cut it in the premier league. So has Cazorla, Fabregas, Defoe, Mata and countless other small players.

I am outside of England, and in my opinion that is very much the case.

We get a lot of live European footy down here (most top leagues) and the level and overall quality if almost impossible to compare with the PL overall

You honestly think the likes of Stoke, Everton, West Brom (mid table sides) are as good as Valencia, Levante, Bilbao and Sevilla?

Its funny how in recent years players have come over from Spain and ripped the prem to pieces. Silva, Carzorla, Mata, Aguero, Michu etc.

Spanish teams are far more technical with the ball than English teams and players always look to be very creative and find space as that is there nature. Messi would come over here and rip this league to pieces.

Messi's overall game makes him so much better than any other player ever. If you watch the passes and the assists he makes that is also on a Xavi level the boy is on another planet and i am grateful that we have the worlds greatest ever player playing in my era.

Its funny how in recent years players have come over from Spain and ripped the prem to pieces. Silva, Carzorla, Mata, Aguero, Michu etc.

Spanish teams are far more technical with the ball than English teams and players always look to be very creative and find space as that is there nature. Messi would come over here and rip this league to pieces.

Messi's overall game makes him so much better than any other player ever. If you watch the passes and the assists he makes that is also on a Xavi level the boy is on another planet and i am grateful that we have the worlds greatest ever player playing in my era.

Completely agree. It's like people hate Messi just for the fact he is good. Just appreciate his ridiculous talent.

You honestly think the likes of Stoke, Everton, West Brom (mid table sides) are as good as Valencia, Levante, Bilbao and Sevilla?

Everton mid-table side?

You are not comparing like for like

The equivalent of VAlencia Sevilla and Bilbao would currently be - Spurs / Liverpool / Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Top 4 - Sky 4 - Utd / City equivalent of Barcelona and Real (weaker)

Chelsea is stronger than Atletico quality wise

Arsenal is next > Valencia

Spurs / Liverpool / Saudi Sportswashing Machine / Everton > Bilbao / Sevilla / Espanyol, etc

The lower teams are really poor

etc.

Everton mid-table side?

You are not comparing like for like

The equivalent of VAlencia Sevilla and Bilbao would currently be - Spurs / Liverpool / Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Top 4 - Sky 4 - Utd / City equivalent of Barcelona and Real (weaker)

Chelsea is stronger than Atletico quality wise

Arsneal is next > Valencia

Spurs / Liverpool / Saudi Sportswashing Machine / Everton > Bilbao / Sevilla / Espanyol, etc

The lower teams are really poor

etc.

Mid table is 7th downwards in my eyes. Everton have been a midtable side for the last few years.

Chelsea stronger than Atletico? Did you watch the super cup final? It wasn't just a one man show, they were all over Chelsea.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the others too.

Back