• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Yep. We are better than the last Liverpool and Chelsea sides to win the CL. Knock out competitions are always a bit of a lottery. If you can get to the latter stages, a bit of luck can be the difference.

Well we both know we ain't that lucky

We are capable of winning the league if our key players maintain form and we have a slice of luck. This Spurs side is better than the last two league winners.

And yet we were not good enough over the last 2 seasons and right now we are 17 points behind the leaders.

Let me clarify, I am not for one moment saying we cannot win either competition, I am just saying we will need to strengthen before we can do so

And yet we were not good enough over the last 2 seasons and right now we are 17 points behind the leaders.

Let me clarify, I am not for one moment saying we cannot win either competition, I am just saying we will need to strengthen before we can do so

I didn't say that it was likely, I said that we were capable. The last two seasons we have come up short but we are a consistently good side under Poch and improving. As I have said, a good run of form and a slice of luck and we could do it.

City have been great this year but have their weaknesses and are not guaranteed a repeat of this season's form next year.

Do you think our team is good enough to win the league or the CL? I do not think so, not in comparison to our opposition

I do
CL vs Juve... ref does his job and we’re in the quarter finals

In the league we’re playing at a Whole season away form home and we have been the want team in the league for 4 months now so that’s good enough when you add previous seasons improvements

Sorry I just cant agree. We arent going to win the league if we just keep on acquiring 'young gems' because the level of the competition we are up against keeps on acquiring genuine top class established players. With these young players we have to wait at least a couple of years for them to truly develop, to have someone in his prime and a truly top class player could really elevate us from challenging titles to winning titles. If you dont think that player is Bale then fine, but someone in that category would make a difference.....

Have to raise this ... the city team we finished above last season brought young players and ones that were unproven

I see City at the top of the pile and I simply think to complete with them over 38 games we need to strengthen

Form fluctuates, their's can too.

BTW I am not against strengthening, where better players are available, you have to take them. What I don't think is that we need to sign superstars to compete, a transfer window similar to last summer could be fine as long as we hold onto the players that the manager wants.

City’s best player this season IMO has been Sane
He was an expensive young signing and relatively unproven
Their next best player is DeBruyne who had failed once over here (harshly treated and poorly managed too)... that was an expensive gamble too
If a player is good enough and given the opportunities to work hard and show it then they can succeed. We can’t compete with the oil money teams financially but identifying the next sane or de Bruyne is possible and a great model for us

I think Daniel will not go for Bale for financial reasons.

We shall see my friend. I think he will for a variety of reasons, but Bale will have to take a wage cur which I think is possible, and if we got two strong seasons out of him I believe it would be enough to win a large large prize.

I also think Sissoko will remain with us TBH. This is going to be a very interesting window for sure...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I have seen both the results and the performances but I have not seen anything to suggest we could win either the league or the CL without strengthening. Sure we can beat a few top teams "on our day" but that is not enough to win either trophy.
We've been saying that for the past few years, yet we seem to be strengthening as much as any other team, as our league position indicates. The only difference is that we do it through our key players hitting their prime and younger promising players evolving, as opposed to marquee signings. There is a lot to be said about keeping your core team together and not chopping and changing every year, even if you bring in world class players. That will ensure that you will be "on your day" more often than not.

And from the results and performances I have seen this year I have seen a lot to indicate that we can challenge for league and CL. The Lollerpool, Juve, and Real games showed me as much (and I'm not even including Yanited, Woolwich, and Dortmund, who we disposed of quite easily). That shows me a team that can beat any other big side. What we need to do is cut out the Swansea/Burnley/Watford/West Brom draws. That is one of the things that has made the big difference in us challenging for the title. And you do not need strengthening to beat these teams: you just need to be consistent.

People forget it’s World Cup year which means tired players, random World Cup stand out players and less time before the season

With our system and settled structure we are in a very very strong place for next season.... oh and a new ground

Form fluctuates, their's can too.

BTW I am not against strengthening, where better players are available, you have to take them. What I don't think is that we need to sign superstars to compete, a transfer window similar to last summer could be fine as long as we hold onto the players that the manager wants.

Notice I did mention that we need to sign "superstars" or "big names" :)

Back