• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2017/18 Premier League Thread

No, that's only handball.

If you impede an opponent it's a foul, intentional or not.
Read the regulations. I have been a ref for 25 years.
A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

How much would Zaha cost, £50m ??
Not sure. Been kinda swaying towards Mahrez...genuine quality, sublime skills, pinpoint delivery and finishing. Just consistency is the worry.

Zaha has undoubted skills and is stronger than Mahrez but he's a bit wild west and also not convinced on his consistency, especially when he moves from selhurst park.

We could do with a trickster though.

Yeah, football players are renown for their extensive knowledge of the rules of the game.....
Ha. Still bangin on about this. Mate he pulled him back, it could have been a yellow, but I'll go watch it again and reappraise my opinion if you think it is worth my time.

Benteke is total brick

He looks like a player completely devoid of confidence. I still remember when he left Villa and I was gutted we didnt get him, he had it all.

Just a shadow of that player now.

Zaha is pretty good at getting past people. He tries and often succeed, even against two or three defenders.

Watching the game I thought he wouldnt have looked out of place on Citys side. His dribbling is Dembele-esque in that they just cant get the ball off him.

Walker couldnt handle him. He put in some great defensive work, not just running but watching spaces and anticipating the ball. I thought he was excellent, and watching him I thought he could be brilliant for us.

If I had a complaint today it was that his crossing wasnt up to much. Just hit it across, didnt pick people out or look for the dangerous channel/space. That said, he rarely had anyone with him so it could have been that.

How much would Zaha cost, £50m ??

Id take him at that price, no question. I suspect Palace will be asking for more though.

He and Fosu-Mensa were the only ones they had that looked like they belonged in the premiership.

Everyone else was working hard, very hard, but looked so limited or just straight up anonymous.

The lad who missed the pen looked like a complete fudging amateur the whole game.

I thought Walker handled him pretty well, out muscled him a few times.
I picked the game up about half hour in, from there I think Walker only got the better of him a couple of times. The last was a shoulder to shoulder where he just knocked him miles, borderline foul.

Don't think Walker beat him in a foot race once, which I was really impressed by

Sent from my [device_name] using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Beeb, for what that's worth, saw it more my way:
"Kyle Walker rarely let Palace's in-form Wilfried Zaha get the better of him, and made more interceptions (three), gained more possessions (13) and sprinted faster (34.69 km/h) than any other City player."

I didn't see anything special from Zaha today, not 50m+ special. Obviously it's difficult to do much against City, but I wouldn't be seeing this as a particularly good sales pitch.

He also hits the deck with embarrassing ease. He'd get called on that way more if he played for us...

Thats football for you, isnt it?

I thought he showed real strength, real pace, and had superb skill (first time Ive noticed how good his first touch is as well, reminded me of Lennon). I thought it was a very even thing with him and Walker. Certainly not a situation, were I a City fan, where I would have been at all comfortable with the match up.

As a Spurs fan I know very well what a strength of Walkers that exact sort of situation was, so it was really notable to me how well Zaha was doing.

On the flip side - as an example - had those comments above been made of Fosu-Mensa and Sane, I wouldnt be arguing at all. FM had Sane's number, they could have played all day and Sane wasnt going to get any joy.

Zaha, on the other hand, I thought had the beating of Walker and I thought it was inevitable he would get some real joy at some point.

That he didnt really get anything of note was more to do with the fact he was entirely on his own. Had he a decent striker around him to play off I think the perception of his efforts would have been very different.

Either way, its a game of opinions and all that...

Read the regulations. I have been a ref for 25 years.
A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

I think the word "careless" here pretty much covers the unintentional aspect of a foul.

A careless trip or challenge could certainly be unintentional yet punishable as a foul.

Back