• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2021/22 Premier League Thread

Utd's team spirit is fun to watch.

Ronaldo just hoofed a Sissoko quality pass out for a throw and then stood in the centre circle, with his hand on his hips, showing disgust that the rest of his team didn't somehow get on the end of it.

The only thing I think of when I watch Pool these days is ' it could have been us'.

We had the same philosophy. A better coach, imo. And better players as late as 2016/2017.

They had the far, far, far better owners - transformative owners who cared about winning, invested when it mattered most, backed Klopp to the hilt in good times and bad. That's the only difference.

Everything they did, we could have done, but they had FSG and we have...ENIC.

Their rise and our fall into mid-table and possibly worse will be a case study down the road, imo. As natural experiments go in football, there aren't many as useful as this one.

The only thing I think of when I watch Pool these days is ' it could have been us'.

We had the same philosophy. A better coach, imo. And better players as late as 2016/2017.

They had the far, far, far better owners - transformative owners who cared about winning, invested when it mattered most, backed Klopp to the hilt in good times and bad. That's the only difference.

Their rise and our fall into mid-table and possibly worse will be a case study down the road, imo. As natural experiments go in football, there aren't many as useful as this one.

Not sure that's entirely fair. They didn't have a stadium to build and got a bunch of money from the Coutinho sale, which wasn't voluntary, to invest in VVD and Alisson.

They aren't great owners by any stretch. Klopp is infuriatingly good though.

Crowbar.

Not sure that's entirely fair. They didn't have a stadium to build and got a bunch of money from the Coutinho sale, which wasn't voluntary, to invest in VVD and Alisson.

They aren't great owners by any stretch. Klopp is infuriatingly good though.

They invested more than that, though. Iirc, in terms of owner investment, they backed Klopp with about 100m over the years (not including what they spent on the stadium renovation) - a pittance by PL standards, but enough to push him over the line to win the CL and the PL.

Poch didn't need that much to get over the line, but he got absolutely nothing from Levy or ENIC.

And worse than that, at the first sign of trouble, he was dumped by Levy. Klopp had a horrendous, horrendous 2020/2021 for the most part - they kept him, he turned it around at the end and now they're flying again. They kept faith with their man.

We didn't keep faith with a manager who was (imo) better than Klopp when they were both here.

They invested more than that, though. Iirc, in terms of owner investment, they backed Klopp with about 100m over the years (not including what they spent on the stadium renovation) - a pittance by PL standards, but enough to push him over the line to win the CL and the PL.

Poch didn't need that much to get over the line, but he got absolutely nothing from Levy or ENIC.

And worse than that, at the first sign of trouble, he was dumped by Levy. Klopp had a horrendous, horrendous 2020/2021 for the most part - they kept him, he turned it around at the end and now they're flying again. They kept faith with their man.

We didn't keep faith with a manager who was (imo) better than Klopp when they were both here.

The owners have made a few missteps IIRC. Wasn't there some big outcry over ticket prices and the ESL debacle that they apologised for? They also had a couple of windows where they didn't invest much and it nearly cost them CL football this season.

Their net spend since 17/18 is around £150m. Ours is over £200m according to transfermarkt.co.uk. I agree that ENIC shafted Poch with the inactivity at a key time but there were other considerations at play. The other thing I think Liverpool have done better is that when they wanted a player (VVD and Alisson being the two main ones), they went all in on them whereas we always seem to be shopping for second tier players and flirting with buying a massive name.

But I don't think FSG are much better than ENIC. In fact, I don't think they are any better.

Back