• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Price of Football

If they think its to much money to pay the team they support then they have the choice not to go ' (simple as that), supply and demand like everything if they will not pay it others will.

Agree to a point. But there is nothing wrong with clubs doing more to help fans who can't afford to go. Of course no one forces you to pay, but with the crazy tv money that clubs will receive from next season, there is nothing to stop English clubs following German clubs like Bayern for example, they just don't want to. If supporting your team is going to bankrupt you then stop going, but why people constantly defends greedy football clubs in this respect also baffles me.

Do you say the same thing about penthouses in Mayfair? What about holidays in St Barts or dinner at Marcus?

If you want something premium expect to pay a lot for it. There are all kinds of things I want to buy but can't, same for everyone else.

False analogy...we're talking about watching a footie match for good sake, not looking for a ticket to the moon. Anyway, watching football used to be affordable for the masses, now it isn't. These people have never aspired to a penthouse in Mayfair because they have never been able to afford it. A complete lack of logic on your part there Scara.. Please try better next time.

I really do feel ungrateful when I, on my salary, am facing ticket prices that force me to compromise my family, while at the same time the players have to do with shamefully low salaries in the range of 20k-150k a week. I really should behave....

you compromise your family to go to a fudging football match?

False analogy...we're talking about watching a footie match for good sake, not looking for a ticket to the moon. Anyway, watching football used to be affordable for the masses, now it isn't. These people have never aspired to a penthouse in Mayfair because they have never been able to afford it. A complete lack of logic on your part there Scara.. Please try better next time.

it's still affordable, there is a level of football everyone can afford, it costs nothing to watch dog and duck 3rds over the marsh every saturday

PL is a premium product, the money men came and took it away 25 years ago, the majority of fans clapped them in and thanked them for it

Do you say the same thing about penthouses in Mayfair? What about holidays in St Barts or dinner at Marcus?

If you want something premium expect to pay a lot for it. There are all kinds of things I want to buy but can't, same for everyone else.
It's a game of football I want to attend, not getting a Rolls Royce ffs!

Let's take something closer to home (for me) then.

Just about anyone used to be able to afford a Georgian terrace in Chichester. Now only people with lots of money to spend can. Or cars - everyone can afford a car, not everyone can afford a Maserati.

Or if you want an entertainment example, how about complaining the the band you used to go and watch at some local pub now sell out Wembley and you can't afford that?

Equally football isn't what it used to be. It's not the same product as it was, so people should expect to pay more for a better product.

beat me to it scara, i was about to revisit my youth when you could see blur in colchester arts centre for a fiver

i wonder who'd agree with me if i had a strop about glastonbury tickets being fifty times the price?

beat me to it scara, i was about to revisit my youth when you could see blur in colchester arts centre for a fiver

i wonder who'd agree with me if i had a strop about glastonbury tickets being fifty times the price?

But I own all their stuff and they're the only band I listen to. Been going to their shows since the very beginning, surely I'm entitled to a discount?

Agree to a point. But there is nothing wrong with clubs doing more to help fans who can't afford to go. Of course no one forces you to pay, but with the crazy tv money that clubs will receive from next season, there is nothing to stop English clubs following German clubs like Bayern for example, they just don't want to. If supporting your team is going to bankrupt you then stop going, but why people constantly defends greedy football clubs in this respect also baffles me.

Bayern are approximately 80% fan-owned. It is not some sort of German benevolence that keeps their ticket prices low - most teams in the Bundesliga are owned by fans, so its much easier to set 'fair' ticket prices.

This may be a controversial viewpoint but I would rather have the richest league in the world and expensive tickets, than have cheap tickets in a brick league held up by 1 superpower. Then again I was born in the Premier League era so maybe I'm just showing my age.

Bayern are approximately 80% fan-owned. It is not some sort of German benevolence that keeps their ticket prices low - most teams in the Bundesliga are owned by fans, so its much easier to set 'fair' ticket prices.

This may be a controversial viewpoint but I would rather have the richest league in the world and expensive tickets, than have cheap tickets in a brick league held up by 1 superpower. Then again I was born in the Premier League era so maybe I'm just showing my age.
What you are saying is that fan owned clubs can't compete and be rich. What about that Bayern you brought up? How come they are still Europe's top club, despite being fan owned? It doesn't fit with your logic/statement.

Even Stoke are spending over £20m on players now and they are not even a traditionally "big club". At the very least, I don't see why clubs can't freeze prices for a few seasons.

What you are saying is that fan owned clubs can't compete and be rich. What about that Bayern you brought up? How come they are still Europe's top club, despite being fan owned? It doesn't fit with your logic/statement.

Bayern are bankrolled by Allianz, from a merchandising point of view they are also effectively the only team in germany.

Bayern's fan ownership level has never been lower, they are slowly selling out.

it's still affordable, there is a level of football everyone can afford, it costs nothing to watch dog and duck 3rds over the marsh every saturday

PL is a premium product, the money men came and took it away 25 years ago, the majority of fans clapped them in and thanked them for it

Premier league is what I'm referring to, not marsh field football and no many cannot go to watch it. The old division 1 was premium and yet people could go .

Let's take something closer to home (for me) then.

Just about anyone used to be able to afford a Georgian terrace in Chichester. Now only people with lots of money to spend can. Or cars - everyone can afford a car, not everyone can afford a Maserati.

Or if you want an entertainment example, how about complaining the the band you used to go and watch at some local pub now sell out Wembley and you can't afford that?

Equally football isn't what it used to be. It's not the same product as it was, so people should expect to pay more for a better product.

Lack of logic again. The Maserati was affordable when we had the old 1st division, but now it (EPL) isn't. It is the same product. Yeah stadiums have improved, but that had to happen anyway, as most of them were falling down. Greavsie was a premium product, I can tell you that!

Premier league is what I'm referring to, not marsh field football and no many cannot go to watch it. The old division 1 was premium and yet people could go .

its a hugely better product now imo

no muddy pitches, no terraces full of tinkled up dart throwing meatheads, far fewer english cloggers getting their reducers in

Lack of logic again. The Maserati was affordable when we had the old 1st division, but now it (EPL) isn't. It is the same product. Yeah stadiums have improved, but that had to happen anyway, as most of them were falling down. Greavsie was a premium product, I can tell you that!

he certainly was, but he wasn't being marketed effectively, so much money was being left on the table

imagine how good greaves would be now, he did what he did despite constant physical assault

Back