• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

Not blaming the media, I'm blaming the twits who lack the self control to use it responsibly. I'm a teacher and we constantly run seminars on the responsible use of social media and the kids continue to do the most outrageous things on it. They refuse to listen and learn. It's almost like a compulsion with many, many of them.

I do feel sorry for them in a way. I am glad that I do not have an adolescence on social media there for everyone to see.

Put it this way, if Tom Caroll's performances had been identical to what they have been up till now but he was 6ft 2 and built like Eric Dier he wouldnt have been singled out for this horrific abuse from total pond life.He would have been labeled a great young english prospect, one for the future etc
F**king disgusting pieces of sh*t with potato's for brains, and thats doing potato's a huge disservice.
I hope he carries on getting in the team and improving under Poches guidance.

I remember Harry Redknapp making a rather scathing observation aimed at English football when he said that Xavi and Iniesta might not even have made it as pro/top footballers in England.

We as a club has been at the forefront of changing that mentality, obvious in the kind of players our youth system now produces. But that mentality still seems rather strong in both some groups of fans and the media.

I remember Harry Redknapp making a rather scathing observation aimed at English football when he said that Xavi and Iniesta might not even have made it as pro/top footballers in England.

We as a club has been at the forefront of changing that mentality, obvious in the kind of players our youth system now produces. But that mentality still seems rather strong in both some groups of fans and the media.

I'm in danger of taking this thread off topic but I was reading an article recently about youth football being played in groups based on body mass rather than age. I believe that this is more common in the States but a handful of professional clubs were trying it over here.

I'm in danger of taking this thread off topic but I was reading an article recently about youth football being played in groups based on body mass rather than age. I believe that this is more common in the States but a handful of professional clubs were trying it over here.

Definitely interesting. At the same time quite a few of the players that are smaller physically will have to get used to being smaller physically sooner or later. But what one should expect is that the step up to regular first team football might come a bit later for those players (see Mason and Carroll as examples).

To some extent grouping players based on age seems detrimental to those players that develop earlier. They get used to being able to bully players and just thrive on their physicality, to an extent that perhaps learning the skills they need to make it at the highest level doesn't happen.

Whatever is being done at Spurs seems to work really well. To me less focus on results at an early age seems important to us the way some of our youth coaches have spoken in the past, and that makes a lot of sense to me.

Put it this way, if Tom Caroll's performances had been identical to what they have been up till now but he was 6ft 2 and built like Eric Dier he wouldnt have been singled out for this horrific abuse from total pond life.He would have been labeled a great young english prospect, one for the future etc
F**king disgusting pieces of sh*t with potato's for brains, and thats doing potato's a huge disservice.
All those so called supporters are clams.

Thats being overly kind.
I wish the club could track them down and make sure every single one of them was banned from watches us live for life.

If it was Dembele that played like Carroll, we would be calling for his crucifixion. He misplaced passes in the first half. His most important contribution - his holding back of a player (was it Barkley) as he was about to break around the half way line. He was average vs. Everton. I dont know why calling Tom average is now a bad thing. That said - I draw the line at familial insults.

If it was Dembele that played like Carroll, we would be calling for his crucifixion. He misplaced passes in the first half. His most important contribution - his holding back of a player (was it Barkley) as he was about to break around the half way line. He was average vs. Everton. I dont know why calling Tom average is now a bad thing. That said - I draw the line at familial insults.

I would hope that no one would crucify any player on their third league start for us.

Carroll wasn't average against Everton. He was one of our better performers in one of our best performances of the season. He made us tick and was very positive in possession. He did make some mistakes but we are setting the bar too high if we expect players to break into the team with no settling in period.

Further to that, regarding misplaced passes. Carroll had a pass completion rate of 88%, all of his misplaced passes were in the final third and forward balls. Dier had a pass completion of 76%, Alli 82% and Eriksen 84%.

This is typical of fans judging from TV. I watch the majority of my football these days on TV and I think we lose a great deal of the big picture you see live. Carroll has been given good reviews from those reporters and fans at the games. I made this mistake with Modric in the early days at Spurs. Never again.
There is far to much knee jerk punditry from TV viewers and I'm one and sometimes as guilty.

I don't think Carroll misplaced more passes than anyone else.... In fact from what I saw he misplaced less passes than just about any of our other midfielders. My perspective from (the admittedly poor) viewing position at Goodison was that Carroll made as many (if not more) tackles than any of his teammates, had more touches of the ball than any of his teammates, completed more passes than any of his teammates and made just as many if not more passes forward than any of his teammates. I thought his quick use of the ball and his movement off of it made a large contribution to our total domination of the first half of the match.

I think his passing accuracy is very good.

My criticism of him is that he's too safe a passer. He doesn't do the higher risk/high reward passing of Mason and Bentaleb. It's perhaps why AVB was his biggest advocate.

I don't think it's a coincidence that with Carroll in the side we dominate play/possession, but don't penetrate much in the final third. I think he contributes to gallant draws.

I don't think Carroll misplaced more passes than anyone else.... In fact from what I saw he misplaced less passes than just about any of our other midfielders. My perspective from (the admittedly poor) viewing position at Goodison was that Carroll made as many (if not more) tackles than any of his teammates, had more touches of the ball than any of his teammates, completed more passes than any of his teammates and made just as many if not more passes forward than any of his teammates. I thought his quick use of the ball and his movement off of it made a large contribution to our total domination of the first half of the match.

Squawka data says Carroll attempted five tackles with 40% being successful. Dier had no tackles, Alli no tackles, Eriksen attempted four with 25% being successful and Lamela attempted eleven tackles with 27% being successful.

My critism of him is that he's too safe a passer. He doesn't do the higher risk/high reward passing of Mason and Bentaleb. It's perhaps why AVB was his biggest advocate.

I don't think it's a coincidence that with Carroll in the side we dominate play/possession, but don't penetrate much in the final third. I think he contributes to gallant draws.

I don't think that is a fair criticism of his performance against Everton. I cannot embed the diagram here at the moment but you can see it for yourself if you fancy

http://epl.squawka.com/everton-vs-t...-2016/english-barclays-premier-league/matches

I think that compares favourably with any Mason performance that I have looked at the data for (and I say that as a big Mason fan).

My criticism of him is that he's too safe a passer. He doesn't do the higher risk/high reward passing of Mason and Bentaleb. It's perhaps why AVB was his biggest advocate.

Spot on for me.. He is a safe passer and in my opinion makes unnecessary movements to get involved in play, just to have a touch, just to make a pass.. I used to watch Capoue do it and drove me mad, running 10ft from a player to take the ball off them and give it back or play it to another player that the original player with the ball could have done. The top midfielders don't do that.. Watch them make movement by continuously jogging and away from their marker but not towards the ball

I would hope that no one would crucify any player on their third league start for us.

Carroll wasn't average against Everton. He was one of our better performers in one of our best performances of the season. He made us tick and was very positive in possession. He did make some mistakes but we are setting the bar too high if we expect players to break into the team with no settling in period.

I agree and I hope that he plays more games and becomes a regular as he offers something that the others do not. As for the slagging he gets its just shows how little many ( so called) fans know about the game.

Spot on for me.. He is a safe passer and in my opinion makes unnecessary movements to get involved in play, just to have a touch, just to make a pass.. I used to watch Capoue do it and drove me mad, running 10ft from a player to take the ball off them and give it back or play it to another player that the original player with the ball could have done. The top midfielders don't do that.. Watch them make movement by continuously jogging and away from their marker but not towards the ball

I think that it is harsh to be concentrating on negatives after only three league starts for us.

I think that it is harsh to be concentrating on negatives after only three league starts for us.

Ive watch Carroll play 20-30 times. A good few years ago when he was first coming through the youth setup I was a big fan but he hasn't adapted or added to his game for senior football. The same as Townsend in a way.

I agree and I hope that he plays more games and becomes a regular as he offers something that the others do not. As for the slagging he gets its just shows how little many ( so called) fans know about the game.

Not looking for an argument but just interested what do you think he offers that Dembele, Bentaleb and Mason dont?

Not looking for an argument but just interested what do you think he offers that Dembele, Bentaleb and Mason dont?

Pass and move quickly, always finding in space, he reminds me a lot of Modric ( but not as good obviously), the others you mentioned have other talents.

Back