• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Pretty sure before var they produced stats that said refs got a lot higher percentage of decisions right.

I'd love to know where these statistics are coming from and how they were measured.

Me too. If you look at a game the referee and assistants have to make loads of decisions. Every tackle is a potential foul. Every throw-in has a decision on who to take it. Every corner or free-kick into the penalty box has many decisions on pushing and shoving. If all these decisions get included then there will be a high percentage of correct decisions. If only "big" decisions get considered the percentage will fall rapidly depending on the cut-off for what gets counted.

In the end the absolute percentage is meaningless. What can be useful is comparing the same metric before and after VAR (and not using retrospective measurements).

Not true. Oliver was sent to the screen and decided it was nothing, which tbf was probably correct.

Surprised that Oliver didn’t change his mind after going to the screen but suppose the latest handball rules do allow more leniency for attackers; very annoying that it gave those bottlejob Goons the consolation of finishing their season with a win which slightly took the shine off my evening.

To me it should have been disallowed because the ball was under his control purely by virtue of his use of the arm. That said, I had a small acca that came in because of that goal….

Was this the only thing they voted on today? The new ffp rules are supposed to be voted on soon. With the euros and summer holidays you'd think they'd do that vote aswell.

There was a vote at the end of April, is there more changes to be voted in?

City lawsuit might have delayed it if there is

There was a vote at the end of April, is there more changes to be voted in?

City lawsuit might have delayed it if there is

That was in principal.

"Premier League clubs have voted in principle for plans to introduce a spending cap from the 2025/26 season.

The rules, should they be approved in a final vote later this year, will replace the current Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) which have caused controversy in the Premier League this season."

That was in principal.

"Premier League clubs have voted in principle for plans to introduce a spending cap from the 2025/26 season.

The rules, should they be approved in a final vote later this year, will replace the current Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) which have caused controversy in the Premier League this season."

Could still be going on if this was part of it

Attwell’s three-minute call shows it’s not VAR at fault, it’s English referees

There is at least one team worse than England at these Euros: unfortunately, it’s the team of English referees. They’ve been given two games so far and these are the only ones with any VAR controversy. Universal acclaim has met the use of technology at the tournament, with the hope it will be deployed the same way in the Premier League next season.

“I am confident we will see that replicated,” said the former referee Peter Walton, writing in The Times. This was before Stuart Attwell took approaching three minutes to call an offside goal in Holland’s match with France, annoying the hell out of everybody.

Look, it’s a matter of opinion whether Denzel Dumfries was interfering when Xavi Simons shot. France’s goalkeeper, Mike Maignan, wasn’t getting there, that much is true, but equally he couldn’t get there because if he had dived he would have got no further than Dumfries, who was between him and the ball. Holland thought it was a fair goal, France did not. Fancy.

The problem is the three minutes. It suggests Attwell doesn’t even think about his job. If he did, he would have a policy for moments like this. Such as: if the goalkeeper cannot make an attempt to save because a player is in an offside position, it is offside whether we think the save can be made or not. The call is then made in three seconds, not three minutes. It would be the definition of clear and obvious, if Attwell knew his mind.

Previously, the one game in which VAR seemed to have delivered an unsatisfactory outcome was Spain’s win over Croatia, failing to overturn a penalty award against Rodri, when replays showed Bruno Petkovic kicking the turf to make more of the challenge. Fortunately, Croatia failed to score, so there was no controversy. And who was on VAR? Attwell again. And no help at all to his referee colleague, Michael Oliver. So I can’t share Walton’s confidence. No amount of technology, however efficiently deployed, can compensate for poor officials. We may improve VAR, but unless we improve our referees also, we’re back at square one.

Back