• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone could share a river site so I can watch the second games then next day I'd be eternally grateful. They aren't showing the later kick off on the island I'm at in Thailand.

Fullmatchesandshows doesn't seem good for the World Cup and that's the only one I know.

Wasn’t even on the pitch when they won it so as i see him and Messi are fairly even when it comes to their records at international tournaments.

But he captained the side throughout the competition and played in a winning final fir his country

Messi wont ever do that currently

But he captained the side throughout the competition and played in a winning final fir his country

Messi wont ever do that currently

Messi captained Argentina to the final of the last World Cup and has done so in two Copa América finals. Ronaldo went off injured before Portugal eventually won so it’s even as far as I’m concerned. Portugal drew all three group games and would have been out in the old format as they finished 3rd. They also didn’t win a game in 90 mins till the semi final. Ronaldo scored 3 goals in that tournament so it’s not like he carried them, far from it.

Messi captained Argentina to the final of the last World Cup and has done so in two Copa América finals. Ronaldo went off injured before Portugal eventually won so it’s even as far as I’m concerned. Portugal drew all three group games and would have been out in the old format as they finished 3rd. They also didn’t win a game in 90 mins till the semi final. Ronaldo scored 3 goals in that tournament so it’s not like he carried them, far from it.

Did Argentina win those finals?

Messi is more Spanish than anything. Lived there for 17 of his 31 years.

Bloody hell imagine him playing in the Spanish squad all these years:eek:

Last edited:
Did Argentina win those finals?

You already know the answer. Ronaldo went off injured the first half when it was 0-0 and they went on to win it in extra time so I’m not sure how he’s credited when he had no input in the actual result in the final itself, regardless of what happened in the previous rounds.

You already know the answer. Ronaldo went off injured the first half when it was 0-0 and they went on to win it in extra time so I’m not sure how he’s credited when he had no input in the actual result in the final itself, regardless of what happened in the previous rounds.
Don't you remember? He took over as manager once on the sidelines and guided his comrades to glory :rolleyes:..:D

But he did play on the final as captain and they won! Just stating that as facts

And that’s why for me he is the better player

Feeling annoyed with Argentina for losing to France and going out of the World Cup but not really surprised. They started poorly against France when they conceded the penalty so early but did well to come back and lead 2-1. It was a brilliant long range goal by De Maria and Messi's shot were then deflected into goal to help them lead 2-1. But not surprisingly, their shyte defence and midfield let France to score 3 goals after that. It is no coincidence that they conceded 3 goals after Fazio replaced Rojo in defence. Remember, Fazio were so poor when he was at Spurs but amazingly he is still playing for Argentina ! Aguero did well to come on and score their 3th goal but it was too late by then. They should have included Lamela who could have stopped players like Mbappe running unchallenged to score 2 goals. Despite his deflected goal, annoyingly, Messi simply went missing when his team needed him most. With this defeat, Messi will now join the long list of players who tried to emulate Maradona but failed. Messi has proven to be just a poor man's Maradona who is not fit to tie Maradona's boot laces. For all his trophies with Barcelona, Messi has yet to win any trophies with Argentina, losing the 2014 World Cup final and 2 Copa America finals. Don't think Messi will get another chance in the World Cup as he will be 34 in the next World Cup in 2022.

This is easily the worst Argentina team to have played in the World Cup for the last 20 years or so. They have scored the least number of goals(6) since 2002 and conceded the most goals(9) since 1974 among the Argentina teams in the World Cup. Even before the World Cup started, all the signs were there as Argentina were poor in the qualifying and then got beaten 2-4 by Nigeria and 1-6 by Spain in the friendlies. And now they have been beaten 0-3 by Croatia and now 3-4 by France in the World Cup. Argentina's defence and midfield are so shyte that they looks like can get beaten by any decent team now. It is amazing that Argentinian coaches can inspire others teams around the world but they cannot seem to find the right coach for their own national team. Remember, their former coach Pekermen is now inspiring Colombia wile their current coach Sampaoli won 2 Copa America titles beating Argentina in the finals. It was a privelege to watch Maradona lead Argentina to win the World Cup in 1986 and finish as runners-up in 1990 but all the Argentinian teams have been poor since then.

Uruguay have continue their good form by beating Portugal and progressing to play France in the Quarter Final. Cavani inspired them with 2 goals but unfortunately he got injured after that. Hope Cavani will be fit to face France in the Quarter Final. Portugal and Ronaldo were fortunate to win the Euro 2016 but played poorly against Uruguay even if they did well to score their goal through Pepe. Ronaldo even got himself a yellow card which meant he would have missed the Quarter Final if Portugal had progressed. Just like Messi for Argentina, Ronaldo has failed to inspire Portugal in the World Cup. Remember, this was Ronaldo's 4th World Cup since 2006 and he has never turned up in the World Cup before this. Ronaldo is 34 now and will be 38 in the next World Cup. Just like Messi, don't think Ronaldo weill get another chance in the next World Cup in 2022.

Russia have home advantage but have never beaten Spain in any football match before. Spain have been in turmoil since sacking their coach who had joined Real Madrid. Spain have been poor in this World Cup and could have lost all their 3 matches. Russia did well to win their first 2 matches convincingly but got beaten by Uruguay in the final group match. Let's see if Russia can make use of their home advantage to beat Spain and progress to the Quarter Finals.

Denmark and France played out the first scoreless match of this World Cup. Since then, France has suddenly scored 4 goals against Argentina. Let's see if Denmark can suddenly find goals like that against Croatia. Eriksen has been having a mixed World Cup. He scored a brilliant long range goal against Australia but has been poor apart from that. Croatia humiliated Argentina 3-0 in the group match and do have players who can trouble Denmark. Denmark will need inspiration from Eriksen if they are to overcome Croatia and progress to the Quarter Finals.

Rod Liddle's take on the Messi-Ronaldo debate:

And Messi himself? Forlorn, sulky, withdrawn, ineffectual. Yes, I know how good he is. But his attempted finishing in the second half reminded me slightly of Michael Ricketts. It is sad that he will be remembered primarily as a great club player who had misgivings about the concept of taxation. I suppose this is controversial, but to my mind the real greats step up to the plate for their national teams.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/france-win-but-every-cloud-has-a-silver-lining-jsnq7nxzr

But he did play on the final as captain and they won! Just stating that as facts

And that’s why for me he is the better player

He played for 25 mins out of 120 IIRC. That’s essentially like crediting John Terry for winning the CL final in 2012.

Or perhaps a more appropriate comparison could be giving Sissoko credit for being on the pitch for 15 minutes at the end of the game we were already winning before he came on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back