• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group A - Brazil, Cameroon, Croatia, Mexico

Which two teams will progress to the next round?

• Brazil and Cameroon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brazil and Croatia

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • Brazil and Mexico

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Cameroon and Croatia

• Cameroon and Mexico

• Croatia and Mexico

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FIFA use officials from lower ranked nations in the group stages. They all get sent home when the knock out rounds start.

Glad we got rid of Pletikosa. Charlie a centre back? Hardly. Modric was good, conceded possession a bit. Paulinho....sigh.

Don't judje anybody on one match only. He was top-3 RPL defender this season

Haha! Many posters on here would go bonkers when Charlie was picked as CB for Spurs. At least he has height. He is an excellent right back though, but with no pace whatsoever. His passing makes him worthwhile, because he's not that clever in the air.

If Pletikosa is your first choice keeper, and Charlie is a first choice centre back, your squad is thin.

The fix is on. What a joke this tournament is already. All the millions spent and don't we just know that brazil will be lining up in the final. What a shame, I felt resentful having to watch. A waste of time. Switched off after the Croatian disallowed goal. Does anybody really believe that 'penalty' would have ben given to Croatia? FIFA, corrupt to the bone. As for the Croatian keeper...surely they have someone better than him, what a prat!

The fix is on. What a joke this tournament is already. All the millions spent and don't we just know that brazil will be lining up in the final. What a shame, I felt resentful having to watch. A waste of time. Switched off after the Croatian disallowed goal. Does anybody really believe that 'penalty' would have ben given to Croatia? FIFA, corrupt to the bone. As for the Croatian keeper...surely they have someone better than him, what a prat!
a slight overreaction?

a slight overreaction?

Ultra over reaction actually. Can't believe some people are blaming the ref for Brazil's win. Thought the ref did well and almost all his major decisions was 50-50 situations which could have gone either way. Don't know how people can claim the ref was favouring Brazil when Croatia scored first through an own goal. If anything the Croatian fans should blame their goalie who should have saved all 3 goals. Brazil's first and third goals was tame shots which the goalie could have saved easily. And it was a poor penalty by Neymar which any decent goalie could have saved.

Ultra over reaction actually. Can't believe some people are blaming the ref for Brazil's win. Thought the ref did well and almost all his major decisions was 50-50 situations which could have gone either way. Don't know how people can claim the ref was favouring Brazil when Croatia scored first through an own goal. If anything the Croatian fans should blame their goalie who should have saved all 3 goals. Brazil's first and third goals was tame shots which the goalie could have saved easily. And it was a poor penalty by Neymar which any decent goalie could have saved.
I think that the penalty was very soft and prior to that Croatia had been playing well.

But we all know that World Cup football is effectively a no contact sport and decisions like that will be given. They sometimes also get given in the Premier League despite our referees being European and (mainly) experienced.

The other contentious issue was Neymar not getting a card for the elbow on Modric. I think that either the ref didn't get a proper look at it (in which case he shouldn't have given the yellow) or bottled it.

What disappointed me was seeing the Brazilian players and Scolari calling for cards and they don't half make a meal of it.

I think that the penalty was very soft and prior to that Croatia had been playing well.

But we all know that World Cup football is effectively a no contact sport and decisions like that will be given. They sometimes also get given in the Premier League despite our referees being European and (mainly) experienced.

The other contentious issue was Neymar not getting a card for the elbow on Modric. I think that either the ref didn't get a proper look at it (in which case he shouldn't have given the yellow) or bottled it.

What disappointed me was seeing the Brazilian players and Scolari calling for cards and they don't half make a meal of it.

Thought Neymar got the yellow card for that elbow on Modric, just before he scored the first goal. Or are you referring to another incident ?

Thought Neymar got the yellow card for that elbow on Modric, just before he scored the first goal. Or are you referring to another incident ?
Yes, that is the one. If the ref saw it, he should have issued a red. An elbow is violent conduct and a red card offence. If the ref (or his officials) didn't see it, he cannot issue a card. So whatever happened, the yellow was the wrong outcome.

Solid opening match, very impressed with Croatia tbh. Brazil though, were obviously going to win. - Hope all the matches follow suit in regards to being solid matches. No 0-0s please. I reckon we can wait for Spain to ruin it all today with some sideways passing to nick a 1-0 win.

Very easy to blame him.

1. Missed a very simple red card to Neymar for his elbow on Modric.
2. The penalty that never was.
3. Failing to instruct Neymar to retake the penalty and run up properly (alternatively disallow penalty, award indirect free kick for Ungentlemanly Conduct and second yellow Neymar :) )
4. Disallowing a goal to Croatia due to Cesar's inept handling of a cross
5. Failed to give a foul in the build up to Brazil's third goal.

I think people are perfectly entitled to blame the ref.

Well the opening ceremony was an awful joke - all them years to prepare for.................THAT !

The match was'nt much better, pretty boring, had me flicking the channels. Often happens in opening games - takes some time for the teams to get into their stride. Hope todays games are better.

This is the world cup. We should be expecting better.

What's the nationality got to do with the refs ability?

Because an English referee would have experience from a big league, with high profile games - similar to a German referee in the Bundesliga. Obviously I don't mean that it's the refrerees' nationality that matters. I just think refereeing for ten years in the PL/CL is worth more than ten years in the J League in terms of big game experience.

What like Webb who has been on Utd's payroll for years? He is just as bent as the Jap ref from tonight :)

As if the experienced European refs don't make mistakes. Remember the "legendary" English ref Graham Poll who gave 3 yellow cards to the same Croatian player in the 2006 World Cup ?

Of course, all referees make mistakes (and the Poll one is legendary!), but then at least make sure you minimize the risk of mistakes being made - by using the most experienced referees possible for big games.

Some huge errors in that game.

straight red to Neymar, how can it be a yellow. Its either not a foul or its violent conduct and a straight red and 3 match ban.

noway is that ever a penalty. Huge dive.

nothing wrong with croatias 2nd goal, goalie misses it and its a fair header back across goal.

also looked like a foul in build up to brazils third but not seen a replay.

to be fair it would take a brave ref to show Neymar a straight red but still a bad decision.

Back