• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Baldini was appointed 19 June. Paulinho came on 6 July.

By all accounts Baldini was out there doing the negotiating. He also has a strong relationship with Corinthians - quite a few of his Roma signings came from there.

Pretty sure we were already negotiating before Baldini came in but seeing as though you have the credentials i will take your word for it . . .

More that they are technical players now being asked to play in a smash 'n' grab limited-possession system (if you can call it that). Our approach now suits much more direct players - but other than Townsend and Lennon we don't have that many of them.

Our system now certainly suits Lamela and Soldado more (Paulinho not sure about but tbh it should suit him more too). Lamela's best season at Roma was when they played fast paced, counter attacking football. When they tried to play possession football he was no where near as effective. Regarding Soldado, it's a myth that Valencia played possession football (that you claimed before). He was effective when they played fast paced football and relied heavily on balls from wide positions.

Our system now certainly suits Lamela and Soldado more (Paulinho not sure about but tbh it should suit him more too). Lamela's best season at Roma was when they played fast paced, counter attacking football. When they tried to play possession football he was no where near as effective. Regarding Soldado, it's a myth that Valencia played possession football (that you claimed before). He was effective when they played fast paced football and relied heavily on balls from wide positions.

this

It's way too early to tell. Remember how average Bale, Modric, Carrick and Berbatov were during the first six months of their careers with us. Just think, we could have saved that £40m and stuck with LeeYP, Zokora, Mendez and Mido.

The manager situation has screwed them over quite a lot, but if we can protect them till after the summer, I'm sure all will flourish next season if we get someone capable of installing a vision and system on the squad.

Paulinho, Soldado and Lamela are all great players. I really liked Huddlestone, Defoe has always been terrible and Townsend is currently ineffective (still not one assist in his career yet IIRC). If we revisit this in a year's time, I'm sure £70m will look like a great investment.

modric and carrick were not average...people just couldnt see what they offered at the time

berbatov was not average but he wasnt scoring...he still showed high levels of intelligence , vision and technical ability

but i do agree that soldado and lamela are not the players that we have seen so far, they probably arent the players they were hyped to be either but my guess is that they are better than what they have shown so far, that in itself is encouragement that our team cAN actually get better THIS season.

i dont think paulinho should be played without a pure holder ever again....his positioning confuses me and confuses the wonky system...makes it so scatty

A complete nonsense piece with not a shred of evidence. We heard all these rumblings back in December and it's likely the journo is just re-hashing old news to fill column space. Someone posted on here how Sherwood and Baldini were arguing about who to appoint chief scout, with both having their own men waiting in the wings and I reckon the board are peeved about how the new signings haven't hit the ground running, but that in itself isn't Baldini's fault.

There is also this thing where everyone see's Sherwood as Redknapps successor, a man who couldn't get on with the Technical Director model, so the joruno has likely assumed that the same thing will happen. The last bit about Lamela is the icing on the cake though, because everything we hear right now about the lad is that he's injured but working hard to adapt to the country OH and that the club think he is a big part of our future.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/franco-baldinis-tottenham-future-doubt-3150519?

Wonder if the is any truth in it, would be a worrying sign. If levy does sack him and then does not go for another director of football it would prove to me levy does not know his own mind and is the worse thing that is happening to our club.

Reads like bull**** to me. If the People had a shred of evidence they would have written more than a handful of paragraphs.

All the tabloids appear to be anti Spurs...why... I have no idea?

The club hardley ever get a mention except when there is a match report or when they have something negative to say about us!

It's the same with all clubs. Bad news sells.

Oliver Hoult is still chief sports editor of the mirror right?? He's a massive gooner and never has a nice thing to say about Spurs

Oliver Hoult is still chief sports editor of the mirror right?? He's a massive gooner and never has a nice thing to say about Spurs

I will never forget - or forgive - Holt's piece on Hoddle after we lost the League Cup final against Blackburn, with Sheringham's disallowed penalty etc. Hardly Glenn's fault that Sir Les couldn't find the target, but the piece was just 100% poison. If I ever get the chance to meet him I will certainly let Mr Holt know of my displeasure in a way he won't forget in a hurry!

This man has been an epic failure so far.

i think that it's WAY too early to be saying things like this mate. i think our squad had a lot of holes last summer and we've filled the majority of them - the signings overall haven't made the impact that we would have hoped but i think there are mitigating circumstances which can be used to explain away a huge part of that. how long do you personally think is a fair time to judge a new arrival? does a poor first season mean he's a failure or do you hold out hope of him improving in their second season? if the latter then it's only fair to allow the DoF the same time at a minimum before judging him on his recruitment policy. not strengthening LB is the only real problem i have with last summers transfer activity.

the way i see it the DoF is a long term role - and should be judged over a period of time a lot longer than one season.

but this is a man that's in charge of player recruitment. He's responsible for all those 7 coming in....and none of them being especially good.

I really am unsure on the whole Director of Football thing, but if we have a massive change in players this summer again, i will finally know whether the system works or not. Im not anti it but i still do not believe it can work as well as some think.

I really am unsure on the whole Director of Football thing, but if we have a massive change in players this summer again, i will finally know whether the system works or not. Im not anti it but i still do not believe it can work as well as some think.

Baldini's role this summer should likely be

- Get rid of some of the players that are fringe/old without too much 1st team disruption -> Naughton/Kane/Brad/Gomes, possibly Siggy
- Get a LB and agree with manager on a creative player for midfield (is it Eriksen, do we get a LW, what?)
- Probably in all likelihood a new manager as well

If we can get a new manager, fix our LB issue and start next year with no more than 2 changes to the starting 11, I think we would have done very well

Back