• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

I think Southgate has that to be fair, he's worked himself into the position where he could take so many risks with the squad, although in his defence, nobody was complaining about Henderson or Sterling finally being dropped, the omission of Dier and Grealish raised my eyebrows, but seemingly not everybody's.

The talent just isn't there.

They don't have the talent to be a iconic team like the peak Brazil, Netherlands, Argentina or Germany of the 79s and 80s, an all conquering Spain team or France team of the 00s, but with proper squad managment they could do a better.
A team is only as good as it's weakest link, England seems to think they are as strong as their strongest link.

They don't have the talent to be a iconic team like the peak Brazil, Netherlands, Argentina or Germany of the 79s and 80s, an all conquering Spain team or France team of the 00s, but with proper squad managment they could do a better.
A team is only as good as it's weakest link, England seems to think they are as strong as their strongest link.

The sheer lack of courage from Southgate is staggering.
Play Bellingham alongside Rice BUT with licence to roam...play Foden as a 10, allow Kane to drop into pockets/interchange and Foden to sometimes false 9, and get Palmer or Eze on wide so as with Saka you can stretch the pitch and allow the Bellinghams to come from deep or the Kanes to drop in and play Saka, etc. Instead he nullifes Kane and Foden's wider talents and plays a square peg in a round hole.
I don't get it.

Every PL winning team since the wenger era has been littered with foreign players so not sure what your point is there.
I do agree with you that England are one of the teams that could/should be winning these tournaments, but they never get the blend of manager and squad right.
England need a manager that is allowed to sculpt the squad in his own way, no interference from the FA, the media or fans.

Fair points but the players in the England team now have been crucial players for their clubs hence Foden winning player of the year in a Emirates Marketing Project team littered with world class players, Bellingham being Madrid’s top scorer, Kane top scorer in the Bundesliga, Saka and Rice being key players for Arsenal. I accept this team has flaws, mainly in defence. All the top teams have flaws. Everyone is talking about Portugal as a favourite but they’re also 18 months removed from losing to Morocco at the World Cup and their most high profile player is 39 and was a non-factor in the tournament. Germany don’t have a world class striker, neither do Spain. France on balance are the best team but they’re not miles better than everyone else. I would just like the manager to be more progressive and play to our strengths.

Play Bellingham alongside Rice BUT with licence to roam...play Foden as a 10, allow Kane to drop into pockets/interchange and Foden to sometimes false 9, and get Palmer or Eze on wide so as with Saka you can stretch the pitch and allow the Bellinghams to come from deep or the Kanes to drop in and play Saka, etc. Instead he nullifes Kane and Foden's wider talents and plays a square peg in a round hole.
I don't get it.

We’re crap to watch as well. You’ve been manager for 8 years now Gareth, let the fudging handbrake off. It’s not like being cautious has won us loads of trophies. Reminds me of Jose’s stint with us to an extent, go 1-0 up and sit back then inevitably concede because our defenders aren’t good enough.

We’re crap to watch as well. You’ve been manager for 8 years now Gareth, let the fudging handbrake off. It’s not like being cautious has won us loads of trophies. Reminds me of Jose’s stint with us to an extent, go 1-0 up and sit back then inevitably concede because our defenders aren’t good enough.

It feels like the country and media are just waiting for the team to fail and that noise is having an affect on the team. Self-fulfilling prophecy stuff from England once again.

This tournament feels so different to the last two.

with a crap defence, but wealth going forwards, Gareth needs to play a high line press. I liked the look of Guehi, what a recovery! Switch Foden right, drop Saka, push Kane to press form the front.

I'm just quoting Gary Lineker from his podcast with big meeks, but makes a lot of sense, playing deep with less than stellar defence, you just can't get out. So push on. Walker and Guehi can cover serious ground to run back.

Fair points but the players in the England team now have been crucial players for their clubs hence Foden winning player of the year in a Emirates Marketing Project team littered with world class players, Bellingham being Madrid’s top scorer, Kane top scorer in the Bundesliga, Saka and Rice being key players for Arsenal. I accept this team has flaws, mainly in defence. All the top teams have flaws. Everyone is talking about Portugal as a favourite but they’re also 18 months removed from losing to Morocco at the World Cup and their most high profile player is 39 and was a non-factor in the tournament. Germany don’t have a world class striker, neither do Spain. France on balance are the best team but they’re not miles better than everyone else. I would just like the manager to be more progressive and play to our strengths.
Agreed. England easily have good enough players to do well to the tournament and be in with a chance to win it. Not favourites, not particularly likely to win it, but definitely in with a chance. And that of course can still happen.

But they need to figure out how to get width down both flanks. Can't think of many teams that are successful at this kind of level that just abandons width on one side.

Also. TAA has absolutely fantastic passing ability. So let's play him and make sure there's no one wide on the opposite side of him and not much running in behind with pace.

I accept that Southgate knows a lot more about football than me. But to me it seems like he's getting the basics wrong tactically and the basics are so important in international football.

with a crap defence, but wealth going forwards, Gareth needs to play a high line press. I liked the look of Guehi, what a recovery! Switch Foden right, drop Saka, push Kane to press form the front.

I'm just quoting Gary Lineker from his podcast with big meeks, but makes a lot of sense, playing deep with less than stellar defence, you just can't get out. So push on. Walker and Guehi can cover serious ground to run back.
Only problem with that is that I don't think Kane can press from the front like he used to.

It's perfectly possible to get out when playing/defending deep. England haven't had a problem with getting the ball, it's what they do on the ball.

England don't have great quality on the ball at the back overall but certainly good enough.

I'm gonna be a broken clock with this, but getting out is a lot harder when you congested play without outlets.

It's why Ange insists on wide wingers because we invert the full backs. Ange ball without wide wingers would be awful and we wouldn't get out.
I think it's OK in a pinch to experiment in a big tournament. But get the basics right if you do and play a way that allows the player being experimented with to play to his strengths.

TAA can "quarterback", no doubt in my mind. But to do that you need someone in positions to receive those longer passes. TAA can't "Modric" a game. And that's essentially what you end up needing with everything getting congested. Though most teams Modric has played at obviously also have had width on both flanks. Because who doesn't?

I don't get it.

I don't watch international football, but I agree with you in principle.
Southgate is not the manager to get the best out of that combination of players.
He has to play them, but they don't fit his style, he doesn't know what to do with them.
The FA should be looking at the potential squad and then choosing a manager that can maximise that talent and let him get on with it.
It's not totally an English thing, in the past, Scotland was just as guilty.
When our country was littered with players playing at the highest level, that were integral to teams dominating Europe we couldn't even get out of the group stages.
Do British FAs actually take these tournaments seriously, or are just all expense paid junkets.

I don't watch international football, but I agree with you in principle.
Southgate is not the manager to get the best out of that combination of players.
He has to play them, but they don't fit his style, he doesn't know what to do with them.
The FA should be looking at the potential squad and then choosing a manager that can maximise that talent and let him get on with it.
It's not totally an English thing, in the past, Scotland was just as guilty.
When our country was littered with players playing at the highest level, that were integral to teams dominating Europe we couldn't even get out of the group stages.
Do British FAs actually take these tournaments seriously, or are just all expense paid junkets.
Definitely not just an England thing. Has happened a lot of places.

Also the "have to play the biggest stars" at the expense of having a cohesive system is not just an England thing for sure.

Definitely not just an England thing. Has happened a lot of places.

Also the "have to play the biggest stars" at the expense of having a cohesive system is not just an England thing for sure.

Look at Spain, their record is terrible upto a few years ago.
It's definitely not just an English problem.

He's right on the first one but I think that’s the way it should be and it is mainly the media.
Second one he is spot on, rice is good, he's not brilliant or world class, he's good with a potential of being better but he's a good way from being up there with rodri.
I don’t think Rice will ever be a Kroos type player. He’s a destructive player not a creator, and he’s good at what he does, a big influence behind Arsenal’s impressive defensive stats.

I don't get it.
....it's all Kanes fault according to the Beeb.....nowt to do with Southgate.

He's right on the first one but I think that’s the way it should be and it is mainly the media.
Second one he is spot on, rice is good, he's not brilliant or world class, he's good with a potential of being better but he's a good way from being up there with rodri.
You have to remember...many of our better players come from well functioning teams....they don't look so good in a poorly functioning team.

I'd say only Kane and Bellingham have the ability to impact a game regardless of what else is going on around them

Back