• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

The only manager to get you to a final, 2 SF and a QF and it’s still just down to blind luck of the draw eh?

It’s certainly helped. I’ve not said it’s all down to luck but it’s not a coincidence that we’ve gone out of tournaments as a result of sitting back after taking the lead.

He won't do it, but Kane needs to be dropped for semi
He's been awful, need more movement up top
He was like that for us in his last few seasons. Not mobile for teams that crowd the defence. He is hardworking and covers the distance but to little effect as he's just too slow.

Then when things suddenly theres a break he's still coming from midfield. We did well to sell him, but would have done better to have sold him earlier and gotten Ivan Toney in. Hindsight I know.

Last edited:
I have been critical of Southgate during this tournament, especially his insistance on sticking to holding midfielders when we don't have a natural one in the squad, his selection of Shaw who was knackered, and his ommital of Grealish. He made the right changes against the Swiss and we played a LOT better. The slagging he continues to get is (IMO) because some people were slagging him with no real reason beyond public trajectory (we've seen it with our club too many times)...

One thing I think is hard for any of us to consider is just how knackered all these players are from their seasons, and how hard it is to manage tired players. I, too, wish we'd swashbuckle more, but the truth is, if we had we'd be out given the fact all the sides remaining have played with a degree of caution and defensive smarts; even Spain haven't looked to dominate the ball like they used to.

Overall I'm delighted with where we find ourselves.

He won't do it, but Kane needs to be dropped for semi

He's been awful, need more movement up top

I think we need Foden and Bellingham to increasingly surge into the spaces which open up. Harry's always had players around him who take advantage like that (prime-time Dele, Sonny, even Eriksen to a degree). I would absolutely stick with Harry 100% to start the semi. What I would not be afraid to do is be more pro-active with substitutions (including Harry). But I would 100% start with Harry Kane, no question whatsoever. For all the plaudits Bellingham (rightly) got for that overhead kick, it was Kane who found the pocket of space and scored the winner. If we present more opportunities when teams sit deep -and if there is greater running around him when he drops into pockets- we will create chances and he will inevitably score again.

He was like that for us in his last few seasons. Not mobile for teams that crowd the defence. He is hardworking and covers the distance but to little effect as he's just too slow.

Then when things suddenly theres a break he's still coming from midfield. We did well to sell him, but would have done better to have sold him earlier and gotten Ivan Toney in. Hindsight I know.
Yes, we'd have done brilliant to sell our only world class player before we needed to 🤦‍♂️

He missed a few games at end of German season, he may be carrying an injury, he's looked very flat in this tournament but who wouldn't when your left up front on your own with 50/50 balls to fight for.

I think we need Foden and Bellingham to increasingly surge into the spaces which open up. Harry's always had players around him who take advantage like that (prime-time Dele, Sonny, even Eriksen to a degree). I would absolutely stick with Harry 100% to start the semi. What I would not be afraid to do is be more pro-active with substitutions (including Harry). But I would 100% start with Harry Kane, no question whatsoever. For all the plaudits Bellingham (rightly) got for that overhead kick, it was Kane who found the pocket of space and scored the winner. If we present more opportunities when teams sit deep -and if there is greater running around him when he drops into pockets- we will create chances and he will inevitably score again.
While Gordon isn't as good a player as Foden and Bellingham he is the one player that can take advantage of Kane dropping deep and run past him into the space when he drags a defender with him, a bit like Son used to do.

Kane has received zero service from either Foden or Saka. He has been terribly isolated up front. Every now and then Saka looked to pass to Kane and then thinks nup and either passed to the defence or takes a shot. people were raving about Saka against the Swiss. Yeah he scored, but I thought for the most part there was no end product in his wing play.

I’m just disappointed with his performances. He seems to amble around without contributing much. We’ve had some great strikers in recent memory; Lineker, Shearer, Sheringham, Owen, Rooney. But Kane’s overall game is arguably superior, his passing specifically. He’s not even creating anything either. I’ve felt for a long time he doesn’t contribute enough in big games for such a great player, unless it’s from the penalty spot or a tap in. I think he would have been dropped by now in this tournament if he wasn’t captain.

Kane has received zero service from either Foden or Saka. He has been terribly isolated up front. Every now and then Saka looked to pass to Kane and then thinks nup and either passed to the defence or takes a shot. people were raving about Saka against the Swiss. Yeah he scored, but I thought for the most part there was no end product in his wing play.

Back in medieval times when I played I hated when wingers got crosses in first time, gave you no chance to set yourself up or try for offside, all this fannying about helps defenders, only effective if winger puts in the perfect ball and we don't have that in our team.

Would always back him to score when presented with a chance, he's still deadly.

I personally think the off the ball levels have dropped, as a previous posted noted, he was like that in his last season or two here, he seems to amble about and his closing down seems half arsed.

He will more than likely score the winner in the final now after all the criticism he's getting.

I've never been much of a fan of Toney, but going on his limited minutes I think his energy and movement would improve the side.

In the game you mentioned it was Toney that created Bellinghams and Kanes goal

Would always back him to score when presented with a chance, he's still deadly.

I personally think the off the ball levels have dropped, as a previous posted noted, he was like that in his last season or two here, he seems to amble about and his closing down seems half arsed.

He will more than likely score the winner in the final now after all the criticism he's getting.

I've never been much of a fan of Toney, but going on his limited minutes I think his energy and movement would improve the side.

In the game you mentioned it was Toney that created Bellinghams and Kanes goal

Yes, and I wanted Toney on in that game simply because those CBs were big bullies and Toney knows how to handle them/cause a moment. It could be a similar situation again with VVD and whatshisname De Virj...

I think there is little doubt that Kane is off-pace, but even at 80% he's still priceless to the team IMO.

I’m just disappointed with his performances. He seems to amble around without contributing much. We’ve had some great strikers in recent memory; Lineker, Shearer, Sheringham, Owen, Rooney. But Kane’s overall game is arguably superior, his passing specifically. He’s not even creating anything either. I’ve felt for a long time he doesn’t contribute enough in big games for such a great player, unless it’s from the penalty spot or a tap in. I think he would have been dropped by now in this tournament if he wasn’t captain.

He has played a couple of fantastic balls, one of which led to Foden's narrowly offside goal, and he has scored a winner. Not at his prolific best for sure, but for me, he has to start. Your final thought is a really interesting one; wholly possible.

While Gordon isn't as good a player as Foden and Bellingham he is the one player that can take advantage of Kane dropping deep and run past him into the space when he drags a defender with him, a bit like Son used to do.

Agreed.
I would love Bellingham to play off his shoulder/from deeper and running beyond him a bit more.

Back