• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Back in medieval times when I played I hated when wingers got crosses in first time, gave you no chance to set yourself up or try for offside, all this fannying about helps defenders, only effective if winger puts in the perfect ball and we don't have that in our team.
England s wingers can’t do that
Saka has been controlling with his good foot and crossing with his bad one… and they are easily intercepetd
Foden hasnt really attempted to pass to Kane

He has played a couple of fantastic balls, one of which led to Foden's narrowly offside goal, and he has scored a winner. Not at his prolific best for sure, but for me, he has to start. Your final thought is a really interesting one; wholly possible.
You start him because he is proven
A decent coach would drop foden or Bellingham and make sure that we have a wide player who can cross both sides

He has played a couple of fantastic balls, one of which led to Foden's narrowly offside goal, and he has scored a winner. Not at his prolific best for sure, but for me, he has to start. Your final thought is a really interesting one; wholly possible.

I don’t think he’s been much better or worse than the rest of the team. Having said, he’s meant to be the best player in the team along with Bellingham, certainly the most high profile. So people expect more from him. I feel he needs a big performance on Wednesday. Most people would probably be happy if he scores and we win but he needs to have a good 90 minutes at least once in this competition. You need your world class players to step up in the big moments.

Yes, we'd have done brilliant to sell our only world class player before we needed to 🤦‍♂️

i don't see the point in holding a world class player back - let them win things while we reinvest financial gains.

if anything, spurs has proven that you just can't win things with ONE world class player. you also need an excellent supporting cast.
i mean kane up front and sissoko in support.... what actually happens is there is unfair blame on players around the superstar when we don't win things.

however, many teams have shown/are showing that you can win things with an excellent team.

so i guess it depends on what you want to get out of the team you support.

That has to be the worst England team i have ever seen.
it gets weirder and weider. the more talented individual players the less the team performs.
maybe English players just can't get over club rivalries to play together.

Germany has lots of players that could not even get into the Spurs first eleven - but they play an excellent team game.

I don’t think he’s been much better or worse than the rest of the team. Having said, he’s meant to be the best player in the team along with Bellingham, certainly the most high profile. So people expect more from him. I feel he needs a big performance on Wednesday. Most people would probably be happy if he scores and we win but he needs to have a good 90 minutes at least once in this competition. You need your world class players to step up in the big moments.
Bellingham has also been awful
In fact, I’d argue this tournament has highlighted the weaknesses in Bellingham’s game (passing for a start)
It’s got to be different for him, Kane and Foden who play club football in such different systems to this
Kane plays in a team with pace and width
Bellingham plays in a team with 3 midfielders behind him and he gets a free role
Foden plays for city

With England they are playing such a different system

i don't see the point in holding a world class player back - let them win things while we reinvest financial gains.

if anything, spurs has proven that you just can't win things with ONE world class player. you also need an excellent supporting cast.
i mean kane up front and sissoko in support.... what actually happens is there is unfair blame on players around the superstar when we don't win things.

however, many teams have shown/are showing that you can win things with an excellent team.

so i guess it depends on what you want to get out of the team you support.
Great logic. Get rid of the one player that fits the jigsaw to win things instead of improving the rest of the team.
You need multiple world or close to world class players to win things. Look at City, stuffed full of world class (or close to world class) players.

Anyway, going way off topic with this so will leave it there.

Yes, and I wanted Toney on in that game simply because those CBs were big bullies and Toney knows how to handle them/cause a moment. It could be a similar situation again with VVD and whatshisname De Virj...

I think there is little doubt that Kane is off-pace, but even at 80% he's still priceless to the team IMO.
I think you are right, in you start him and haul him off earlier if he is putting in another stinker.

Southgate is overly loyal (a bit like Mopo) it's a tough balance, but at the moment it's damaging the team - although we are in the Semi, which is slightly contradicting my argument!

it gets weirder and weider. the more talented individual players the less the team performs.

Germany has lots of players that could not even get into the Spurs first eleven - but they play an excellent team game.

Its the aged old, lack of balance and lack of tough decisions being made

For me you could have a front three of Gordon, Kane and Foden (for example) which ok means you make a tough decision on Saka or look to balance that choice in a game BUT imo Southgate has done the same thing many have done before and said "how many stars can I fit in the side regardless of balance.

Its his biggest failing IMO

Of the Germany first 11, 7-8 would walk into the Spurs first 11.

Its the aged old, lack of balance and lack of tough decisions being made

For me you could have a front three of Gordon, Kane and Foden (for example) which ok means you make a tough decision on Saka or look to balance that choice in a game BUT imo Southgate has done the same thing many have done before and said "how many stars can I fit in the side regardless of balance.

Its his biggest failing IMO

If you work your subs well there's a place for everyone, too many personalities in an England camp for that.

Great logic. Get rid of the one player that fits the jigsaw to win things instead of improving the rest of the team.
You need multiple world or close to world class players to win things. Look at City, stuffed full of world class (or close to world class) players.

Anyway, going way off topic with this so will leave it there.
we got rid of bale then went to the champions league final soon after.
i enjoyed the football when bale was around but enjoyed it better with poch and a younger team.

until we have or can afford to have all round quality and depth, i think upgrading the entire team's performance should take priority. i.e. keep upgrading the weakest links. of course, you may prefer otherwise.. i have no problem with that.

However…

Of 132 players to have completed over 100 passes at this year's Euros, Mainoo ranks 131st for proportion of passes forward. 13%.
l've been impressed with him. i made a comment once about how our young ones always seem timid when they get their chance in their first team games. I don't know how they do it but Man U and Liverpool have consistently put on young ones who are fearless and seem to have an immediate rapport with the senior players. For Man U this season it wasn't jast Mainoo, Amad too came on and did improved their team.

l've been impressed with him. i made a comment once about how our young ones always seem timid when they get their chance in their first team games. I don't know how they do it but Man U and Liverpool have consistently put on young ones who are fearless and seem to have an immediate rapport with the senior players. For Man U this season it wasn't jast Mainoo, Amad too came on and did improved their team.
I think he has been ok
But been hyped up because of how static the team has been
Wharton would have been even bette because he passes forward a lot more
Mainoo played as a CM in the tens that conceded the most chances of any team in a big league in Europe
That’s not all on him of course but that stat alone is alarming.
He had a good game vs Switzerland though for sure

Back