• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ivan Perisic

Yea decent stats really and it doesn’t feel like he’s got going yet either, still seems on a different wave length to the rest of the team.

was his best game for us the other night though I think?

Just an assist and a vital, vital block as his highlight. And no doubt his experience helped too.

Was really impressed with his defensive display tonight. His best game so far for us I’d say, and in a big game too….

Steps up when the game gets bigger, the pressure is on. Cool head, quality to match.

We have other players that do this too, but not enough. Him being here is a huge reason why we are where we are despite not firing on all cylinders.

His age has caught up and it shows. Probably a bigger difference in pace between Italy and England.

I get it Conte wants to play his game, but in the Epl pace and physicality are very important and we lose a bit here.

Probably sane reason why Conte persists with Royal as Wing back.

His age has caught up and it shows. Probably a bigger difference in pace between Italy and England.

I get it Conte wants to play his game, but in the Epl pace and physicality are very important and we lose a bit here.

Probably sane reason why Conte persists with Royal as Wing back.

A bit of it probably is the league and age.

A decent factor of it is also just that this is the player he is. An attacker converted to a wing back, not great defensively. Lethal end product and great in the right situations in the final third, but not great at buildup play or carrying over greater distances.

I think he's very much lived up to expectations.

I think he's very much lived up to expectations.
I was expecting a bit more.
I always used to notice him when he popped up and scored; he seemed to be a big match player, always a pain to the opposition. The Croatian national team is very good and he's been a star man for a long time.
He has been good and sometimes excellent, I was just hoping he would be even better than he has.

I was expecting a bit more.
I always used to notice him when he popped up and scored; he seemed to be a big match player, always a pain to the opposition. The Croatian national team is very good and he's been a star man for a long time.
He has been good and sometimes excellent, I was just hoping he would be even better than he has.
I think you’re even being too generous to him there:D If you took away his set pieces for us, of which have been fantastic I must say I think he’s been very ordinary. And set pieces are an important part of our game so certainly not being dismissive of that, he’s great. But considering the amount of pelters Royal gets down the right - I don’t recall Perisic linking up with anyone down the left and making many chances from open play? Royals finishing might be poor, but I don’t recall Perisic being in positions to score much at all and hasn’t scored a single goal either. Just don’t feel he’s affected the game much in open play, but for his set pieces we need him on the pitch anyway as we don’t have any other decent options….

It goes beyond set-pieces, his crossing and delivery in general play has been excellent imo.
So his delivery In general play has been excellent yet he doesn’t have any assists at all from open play in the league (all four of his assists are from corners) and has one from open play in the CL at home to Marseille when they were down to ten men and his other two assists are from a free kick and corner in the CL. If his delivery was excellent I’m sure Kane and co would have converted a few of these at the very least. I don’t recall a plethora of Perisic crosses being laid on a plate that Kane and co have missed. And at no time this season has there been a consistent threat down the left hand side of the pitch whether it be Perisic or Sess playing there…..

So his delivery In general play has been excellent yet he doesn’t have any assists at all from open play in the league (all four of his assists are from corners) and has one from open play in the CL at home to Marseille when they were down to ten men and his other two assists are from a free kick and corner in the CL. If his delivery was excellent I’m sure Kane and co would have converted a few of these at the very least. I don’t recall a plethora of Perisic crosses being laid on a plate that Kane and co have missed. And at no time this season has there been a consistent threat down the left hand side of the pitch whether it be Perisic or Sess playing there…..

He has put in some excellent crosses, usually from difficult positions, but we lack bodies in the box to take advantage imv.
While kane can do an outstanding job outside the box it does limit the options inside the box.
Its the same for royal, his crossing is not good so when harry is in midfield and royal looks up to send in a cross and our biggest aerial threat isn't there i can understand why he turns back. Not saying its right, but i understand it.
Perisic is a seasoned campaigner who can place a ball pretty much where he wants it, he isn't going to just sling a cross in, he will look for the best option, the best option isn't always there though.

Sample size is too small to make meaningful conclusions on his ability to assist from open play. Much better to look at what he actually does in games. He gets separation/space to deliver crosses and delivers good balls into the box at a really good rate. All imo.

It goes beyond set-pieces, his crossing and delivery in general play has been excellent imo.
Not just that either. His situational awareness is second to none, and his ability to remain calm has been important. This goes beyond himself, and he points and directs team mates too. I've seen it many times when players are about to receive the ball, and are unaware if they are under pressure or not, Ivan has been shouting and pointing to them, so instead of hoofing the ball out for a corner or throw in, they've taken control or headed it back to the GK.
I did expect some goals from him, but otherwise I think he's been a good addition to the team.

What he is starting to lack in physical attributes he is more than making up with his attitude, presence and experience.

Love the way he is always talking to the players on the pitch, he must be a joy to have for conte on the training pitch also.

Sample size is too small to make meaningful conclusions on his ability to assist from open play. Much better to look at what he actually does in games. He gets separation/space to deliver crosses and delivers good balls into the box at a really good rate. All imo.
I don’t know what you mean by small sample size considering we have played over 20 league and CL matches, I think that is enough to expect him to notch a few goals/assists by now? He has one assist and zero goals from on field play all season. His set pieces have been far more productive and for that reason alone we need him but I dont think he has been any better than average in play.

I see these fluffy arguments about how he puts it into a good area but if there aren’t enough men in the box then he shouldn’t be putting it in there unless he is confident of hitting the men in there which he hasn’t done enough. Especially considering we play a defensive wing back on the right, I don’t see a larger amount of creativity come from his side of the pitch. I don’t recall any games where he has created a handful of good chances from open play, unless you can point me to specific games where you thought he was really on it?
He’s been ok, and like I say his set pieces are great but considering the amount of pelters Royal gets I’d say Royal contributes to opportunities created down our right side (whether it be by him winning the ball and moving it forward, or link up play or just him crossing)more than Perisic or Sess does down our left. I think our left needs as much work if not more than our right hand side(of course that’s not just down to Perisic)……

I don’t know what you mean by small sample size considering we have played over 20 league and CL matches, I think that is enough to expect him to notch a few goals/assists by now? He has one assist and zero goals from on field play all season. His set pieces have been far more productive and for that reason alone we need him but I dont think he has been any better than average in play.

I see these fluffy arguments about how he puts it into a good area but if there aren’t enough men in the box then he shouldn’t be putting it in there unless he is confident of hitting the men in there which he hasn’t done enough. Especially considering we play a defensive wing back on the right, I don’t see a larger amount of creativity come from his side of the pitch. I don’t recall any games where he has created a handful of good chances from open play, unless you can point me to specific games where you thought he was really on it?
He’s been ok, and like I say his set pieces are great but considering the amount of pelters Royal gets I’d say Royal contributes to opportunities created down our right side (whether it be by him winning the ball and moving it forward, or link up play or just him crossing)more than Perisic or Sess does down our left. I think our left needs as much work if not more than our right hand side(of course that’s not just down to Perisic)……

He has 833 minutes in the league according to whoscored. Just over 9 games worth of minutes.

I think assist stats, limited to open play as well, needs a larger sample size. Crosses are inherently low percentage chances as well, quick limits the amount of assists one would expect from that over 9 games. Would expect no more than 1-2 assists from open play over that sample. So the sample size is obviously small. One or two situations going differently would change the picture completely.

I don't know if 1 open play assist in 9 games is as bad as you think really. If someone said to you Kieran Trippier, you might think yeah he can cross. He has 3 assists in 15 games, don't know how many are from set pieces though but considering he's their primary set piece taker i would wager at least 1. As a wider point assist numbers are always lower than you would think across a whole season.

I can't remember watching him do something and thinking to myself 'he's taken the wrong option there'.

His ability to get a cross in on one on one situations is second only to Kulu.

I don't know if 1 open play assist in 9 games is as bad as you think really. If someone said to you Kieran Trippier, you might think yeah he can cross. He has 3 assists in 15 games, don't know how many are from set pieces though but considering he's their primary set piece taker i would wager at least 1. As a wider point assist numbers are always lower than you would think across a whole season.

Solid comparison.

Understat has data for this. Trippier has one assist from open play in the league this season.

His xA per 90 stat is 0.13. Perisic has 0.10. For further comparison Alexander Arnold had 0.29 in his best ever season in that regard, 0.19 last season.

Assists isn’t my primary concern either, it was in response to those saying his delivery is fantastic etc I would think for someone with such pinpoint accuracy Kane would have got on the end of at least one or two of his fine goalscoring creating deliveries no? My original comment was I don’t see him creating many opportunities for us from open play and I’m yet to see evidence to the contrary. He hasn’t done anything particularly wrong in open play but not seen him do anything great either - he’s never been spoke about as MOTM in match threads I’ve seen. He’s been a 6 or 7 in almost every game, with his pedigree I’d be expecting to see a few more 8s and a few goals too….

Back