• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T AVB Sacked by Cheatski

What is that based upon? How many teams contest the title? The quality of football? Finances? Or simply how well the teams do in european competition?

The league coefficient is used to rank the leagues of Europe, and thus determine the number of clubs from a league that will participate in UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.
The UEFA ranking determines the number of teams competing in the season after the next, not in the first season after the publication of the ranking. Thus, the rankings at the end of the 2011ÔÇô12 season determine the team allocation by country in the 2013ÔÇô14 (not 2012ÔÇô13) European season, however, the actual teams that will be participating are determined at the end of the 2012ÔÇô13 season when the individual league classifications and national cups are finalized.
This coefficient is determined by the results of the clubs of the leagues in UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League games over the past five seasons. Two points are awarded for each win by a club, and one for a draw (points are halved in the qualifying and playoff rounds). Goals scored in extra time do count in determining the outcome of a game, but any Penalty shootout result does not affect the allocation of points other than the bonus points. The number of points awarded each season is divided by the number of teams that participated for that nation in that season. This number is then rounded to three decimal places (e.g. 2⅔ would be rounded to 2.667).
For the league coefficient the season's league coefficients for the last five seasons must be added up. In the preliminary rounds of both the Champions League and Europa League, the awarded points are halved. Bonus points are allocated for:
  • Qualifying for the Champions League group phase (4 bonus points).
  • Reaching the second round of the Champions League (5 bonus points).
  • Reaching the quarter, semi and final of either the Champions League or the Europa League (1 bonus point).
The bonus points are added to the number of points scored in a season.

you need to have several teams doing well in European competitions to get a high ranking (not just one or two) it's not a perfect system but is the most accurate way of comparing leagues across Europe that i can see

Waste of time arguing over whether he could be suitable to manage Spurs. He'll be in charge of Inter before the month is out.

Its an indication of how well representatives of a country do in european competition, not sure its representative of the quality of each domestic league.

For example, can you judge the overall quality of the premiership based on us having a closed shop top 4 of Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool for a decade?

Our coefficient will be good because these clubs all reached finals and regularly reached knock out stages - but just because they did well does that mean from 5th to 20th we have a really strong league?

Its quite possible that as these clubs hog all the income and coveted CL spaces, the rest of the league suffer as a result of the financial gulf that then appears.

Players are always keen to tell everyone that their profession is a "job" like any other. In what job other than professional footballer do employees earn more than their boss? The manager should earn more than players in my opinion.

More salt in your coffee this morning?

Had rooibos tea actually. Black

Since 2000 these are the number of different teams which have won their respective leagues

Premier League - 3
Serie A - 5
Bundesliga - 5
La Liga - 4
Primeira Liga - 4
SPL - 2

As you mentioned above - one can either argue the PL is dross from 4th downwards or actually watch and see how competitive the quality of football is all the way down to the relegation fights.

In addition - the European index is an excellent indicator, imv as it superimposes teams out of their context (league bubble) against unknown teams who are very different in number of aspects. So in that regards Portuguese teams have won numerous major European trophies over the last 10-12 odd years compared to Celtic's single EL losing final in the early 2000s. Hmmmm. If your logic of them hogging all the income is true (which I don't think it is) - why are they always found out in Europe year after year? Why aren't Chelsea able to win the CL, a gazillion pessos later? The 2 Scottish clubs have be regular CL participants, cash flow as a result, etc. = yet no end product outside their league. Consistently.

The SPL is exactly where it's ranked - amongst Cyprus and Austria and quite frankly - it could stay there for some time to come, even if the had all the money in the world

So no, Primeira Liga is quite a bit higher than the SPL and Celtic's coach achievement cannot be compared objectively to a treble with Porto. If it was so easly to win something with a rich club then his current dismissal should be the case in point

Way to completely miss the point Arcy, well done.

I remember having this discussion with you a few weeks back regarding AVB.....I still believe if Mourinho isn't gettable then this guy is a great option.

Out of curiousity are you completely against the idea of installing him as our next manager? Or just playing devils advocate and merely suggesting he MIGHT not be the answer?

I think AVB was trying to implement too much, too fast. He has loads of tactical knowledge, but seems to lack in adaptability. I'm sure he can be very successful at the right club, with the right players. What level he's capable of achieving at is the question.

I remember having this discussion with you a few weeks back regarding AVB.....I still believe if Mourinho isn't gettable then this guy is a great option.

Out of curiousity are you completely against the idea of installing him as our next manager? Or just playing devils advocate and merely suggesting he MIGHT not be the answer?

Im not completely against it, I just dont see it as such a cast iron guarantee of success as so many pitch it to be.

He is a young manager with great potential, I could go with that - as long as he shows he is learning from mistakes he makes.

There are plenty talking like we couldnt do better though.

Clearly I dont see his achievements in the same light as others. I think winning the EUROPA league was a very decent win, but winning the league in Portugal with Porto? Hardly raising the titanic is it?

And there have been enough question marks in his time at Chelsea to have reasonable concern IMHO.

Way to completely miss the point Arcy, well done.

Nayim,

a couple of points spring to mind -

DonÔÇÖt argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

another thing to consider............

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

Villas-Boas wouldn't be bad at all. It does amuse me sometimes how people are willing to completely discard him but then go on to trumpet Rodgers' or Lambert's Spurs credentials in the same breath. Villas Boas has won more games in the league than either of those two managers have, I'm willing to bet. And he won a treble with Porto. The EL, overcoming difficult propositions in the likes of Anderlecht, CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow and Villarreal. And the Portuguese Cup(Taca De Portugal, I believe), beating vitoria Guimares 6-2 in the final. And the league, where he finished the season unbeaten, which, even if you think the Portuguese league is brick (it isn't) is mighty impressive.

So he's a bit boring, and he's not done the greatest of jobs at Chelsea. But he's won more already than Rodgers has in his career, and Lambert has as a manager. He's also won more than David Moyes, who seems the safe bet. So don't discard him from the options; he's young, smart, utterly dedicated to his work(he slept at Chelsea's training ground, for Christ's sake), succesful and wil probably have learned a lot of lessons from his time at Chelsea.

Would love him at Spurs.

Villas-Boas wouldn't be bad at all. It does amuse me sometimes how people are willing to completely discard him but then go on to trumpet Rodgers' or Lambert's Spurs credentials in the same breath. Villas Boas has won more games in the league than either of those two managers have, I'm willing to bet. And he won a treble with Porto. The EL, overcoming difficult propositions in the likes of Anderlecht, CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow and Villarreal. And the Portuguese Cup(Taca De Portugal, I believe), beating vitoria Guimares 6-2 in the final. And the league, where he finished the season unbeaten, which, even if you think the Portuguese league is brick (it isn't) is mighty impressive.

So he's a bit boring, and he's not done the greatest of jobs at Chelsea. But he's won more already than Rodgers has in his career, and Lambert has as a manager. He's also won more than David Moyes, who seems the safe bet. So don't discard him from the options; he's young, smart, utterly dedicated to his work(he slept at Chelsea's training ground, for Christ's sake), succesful and wil probably have learned a lot of lessons from his time at Chelsea.

Would love him at Spurs.

AVB managed Chelsea

Lambert and Rodgers manage Norwich and Swansea

I hope you see the difference and why its expected that Chelsea win more games than the other two clubs, newly promoted at that

What do you think of Steve McClaren? would you like him at Spurs. Not so long ago rated as a hot young coach, worked successfully with Fergie at Utd, went to Middlesborough and won them their only major silverware, took Boro to a UEFA cup final, yes little Boro, has managed England, won the Eredivisie with FC Twente, the only time in their history they have won the Eredivisie, surely Steve McClaren has a pedigree that stands up to the great achievements of the magical AVB??

ahhh, but wait, im not sure if McClaren has ever slept at the training grounds of the clubs hes worked for. Probably he is not that dedicated then. Oh well, AVB must be the man to take over from Redknapp:)

Back