• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Trust me he is a brick MP, I have had the misfortune of hearing that nob end talking on my local news regularly.

He is awful, I always wonder what the sensible and very good Peter Kyle thinks having him as a neighbour MP.

We have Eddie Izzard standings in Brighton Pavilion as well, probably get in as well now that Caroline Lucas is standing down.
You sure? I know she failed to become Labour candidate. Will it be as an independent?

Been quite clear for years how much i despise the Tories and want Labour in. that being said, struggling to see what Starmer will do differently now that Labour have ruled out raising any taxes or taxing billionaires/big corporates etc. Clear they will need to cut public funding, there's no other option. it's raise taxes or cut public funding, there's nothing else to manoeuvre with. Many are sick of the roads, transport, education, health services etc so not really sure what Labour's alternative is?

Bit selfish but the rise in private schooling will hit us. I'll be honest nearly everyone at the school can afford it, but you do get a few families for which the increase would knock them out of the school (i don't think it's to the tune the Mail are reporting, nor do i think it's zero). Not sure it's the best policy but headline grabbing enough for Labour to push ahead with. I just think if you taxed some of the big corporates you'd be on to a vote winner.

I think a lot of those supporting Labour etc are sort of saying "well it'll be different when they're in power, they can then make the changes once they actually get in or if they win another parliament" but really a lot of change is needed now and feel Labour/Keir being too similar in offerings. Labour need to be bolder.
If they are bolder while trying to win an election then they wouldn’t win an election; the right-wing press dominates most people’s access to politics in this country, and they’d rip them to shreds.

They are playing a canny game to gain power. I’ll judge them on their first term in office. I think they’ll be bold enough.

If they are bolder while trying to win an election then they wouldn’t win an election; the right-wing press dominates most people’s access to politics in this country, and they’d rip them to shreds.

They are playing a canny game to gain power. I’ll judge them on their first term in office. I think they’ll be bold enough.
Do people actually read newspapers anymore?

I really hope you are right but the longer Starmer has been in charge the less convinced I am.

so thats why Rishi went early, wanted to get it in before the civil war started in america

just about got away with it

Me too. A lot of powder is being kept dry.
You can see with Wes Streeting that they are prepared to be bullish when needs be - but they know it's their election to lose, and that could happen if they poke the British press the wrong way. They'd love nothing more to flesh out the Tory line that Labour don't have a plan.

It's a ridiculous position where one misstep by Labour could be huge, but the Tories can be as feckless and battbrick as they want without losing much!

Been quite clear for years how much i despise the Tories and want Labour in. that being said, struggling to see what Starmer will do differently now that Labour have ruled out raising any taxes or taxing billionaires/big corporates etc. Clear they will need to cut public funding, there's no other option. it's raise taxes or cut public funding, there's nothing else to manoeuvre with. Many are sick of the roads, transport, education, health services etc so not really sure what Labour's alternative is?

Bit selfish but the rise in private schooling will hit us. I'll be honest nearly everyone at the school can afford it, but you do get a few families for which the increase would knock them out of the school (i don't think it's to the tune the Mail are reporting, nor do i think it's zero). Not sure it's the best policy but headline grabbing enough for Labour to push ahead with. I just think if you taxed some of the big corporates you'd be on to a vote winner.

I think a lot of those supporting Labour etc are sort of saying "well it'll be different when they're in power, they can then make the changes once they actually get in or if they win another parliament" but really a lot of change is needed now and feel Labour/Keir being too similar in offerings. Labour need to be bolder.

Also private schools take on a lot of people via bursaries, not sure what the number is but it's not small. I expect all those places will get cut first.

It already costs a fortune to live in the catchment area for the best state schools, over time that probably trends higher as well.

I live in a posh area, but send my son to the comprehensive down the lane.
A friend of mine sends one kid to private, about £8k per term which I presume will be about £10k per term once Labour win = £30k/yr so about £50k/yr of spare earnings before tax to fund that.
Other friends have 2 kids, £100k/yr of spare earnings. For 5 years = £500k.
Other friends have 3 kids, £150k/yr of spare earnings. For 5 years = £750k.

(A vague aquaintance has 6 kids, £300k/yr of spare earnings but he has worked for Microsoft for decades so I heard rumours he has shares he can sell. 5 years of that is £1.5m of spare earnings to slosh around)

People must be earning a LOT more than me if they have that kind of spare earnings sloshing around that they choose to spend on schooling, after their mortgages, cars, fun, holidays, bills, life etc.

Private schools are the biggest enablers of inequality in our society. They should all be taxed out of existence and into public usage.

There should also be a 7% cap on private schools students in boardrooms and higher levels of the public sector. Other areas too. Blimey there's not even been any state school musicians since the 00s (Arctic Monkeys the last?)

Private schools are the biggest enablers of inequality in our society. They should all be taxed out of existence and into public usage.

There should also be a 7% cap on private schools students in boardrooms and higher levels of the public sector. Other areas too. Blimey there's not even been any state school musicians since the 00s (Arctic Monkeys the last?)

good reason to kill that stream off then

Back