• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/03/3...n-agree-deal-real-madrid-out-favour-youngster

Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly close to agreeing a deal for out-of-favor Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic, and a £37.7m move could well be on the cards for the Croatian international. The 23-year-old has received little game time this season from Zinedine Zidane and a departure may be his only option.

He arrived back in 2015, and has impressed a lot since his debut for the club - racking up 98 appearances in total as a good backup for Los Blancos. However, this season has seen Kovacic receive limited opportunities at the Bernabeu, and Tottenham have already been linked with the youngster.

And now, according to AS (via Sports Lens), they are now said to be in a position to agree a deal with the Bernabeu outfit, with the 23-year-old looking to move away from the club.

His arrival would add another powerful addition to an already strong midfield, and a deal worth around £37m could see him move to the Premier League giants.

The other teams in the report come as the likes of AS Roma as well as his former club Inter. Real do not want to let the midfielder leave the club, but may be forced into the sale should a strong offer come his way.

If interest in Kovacic is as hot as is reported, we could well see a three way tug of war break out over his future. It's uncertain whether the player himself fancies a return to Inter - or even a return to Italy for that matter, but only time will tell.

I like the part where they refer to us as "Premier League giants." :D

Maguire is left sided. He could well replace Verts if Verts doesn't extend his contract soon.

If we have scouts at Burnley I think it's Tarkowski we are watching, not Mee, as a potential Alder replacement.

Is he? Transfermarkt has him down as right-footed. I really think we need a left-footer in there. Ben Mee *is* left-footed, but he's also 28. Tarkowski isn't left-footed.

Is he? Transfermarkt has him down as right-footed. I really think we need a left-footer in there. Ben Mee *is* left-footed, but he's also 28. Tarkowski isn't left-footed.

No he can play right too, is right footed and played right at Hull and Sheffield United. I’ve watched him a lot for some time and IMO he is the perfect Toby replacement if we can do a deal all round

Last edited:
Here's a different question; Who will leave this summer?

For me, I reckon Alderweireld and Rose are certainties.

The movement of our front 3 these past few games has me convinced that both Llorente and Janssen will be surplus to requirements too. N'Koudou is another I expect to be moved on. Sissoko could stay as I think this second season has shown us that he can fulfill a role in the squad, but if he wants more football he will be off too.

The movement of our front 3 these past few games has me convinced that both Llorente and Janssen will be surplus to requirements too. N'Koudou is another I expect to be moved on. Sissoko could stay as I think this second season has shown us that he can fulfill a role in the squad, but if he wants more football he will be off too.
I don't think Rose is going to be going anywhere. We still need a back-up left back (and Sessegnon is not a left back). GKN is definitely a goner. Llorente and Vincent are a bit of a toss-up. I could see Vinny getting another year with us. So our priorities for next season would be:

- Top notch young CB (left-footed preferably)
- Reserve goalie
- Creative midfielder (no urgency, but would be nice to get an Eriksen understudy sooner rather than later)

And that's about it. We're pretty deep. And have a strong bench.

Last edited:
I see that a story of an early £50m move for De Ligt has hit the press outlets.
Ajax must either hate the sight of us, or view us as a valued customer.
Considering that Sanchez and De Ligt played together very well over a year ago, and that they've had time to develop their game further, this seems like a fine idea. Especially considering his age.

Said it before, there is actually quality gaps developing in squad

Top tier - Lloris, Toby, Jan, Dembele, Eriksen, Dele, Son, Kane - nobody on this list we could afford an upgrade on, or likely to attract a better level player.
Mid+ - Dier, Wanyama, Lamela, Sanchez & Lucas (Sanchez & Lucas, maybe even Lamela have an argument to be in top tier, first two likely by start of next season) - All contribute, all good players with promise of more, not likely useful return on trying to upgrade

Mid tier - Vorm, Trippier, Davies, Rose (this year's version), Sissoko, Winks, Aurier - all could/should be upgraded (just not all at once)

Lower tier - GKN, Janssen, Llorente, CCV, Onamah - move on, none have or will significantly contribute to 5+ games a season.

Purposely left out Foyth, KWP, Edwards as it's too early to call on any, with Foyth having the most promise.

I think you build your strategy on the above, plus the two weakness areas the squad has -> cover for Eriksen & Kane.

Considering that Sanchez and De Ligt played together very well over a year ago, and that they've had time to develop their game further, this seems like a fine idea. Especially considering his age.

Ajax probably likes us as much as any club can like selling their players on.

- This has been their model for years, develop good youngsters, sell on to other European leagues. A consequence of the league they operate in.
- When they sell players to us (either directly or via other clubs), they generally are a big success, this is simply good advertising for their model and future sales.

would imagine the latter and would also probably hazard a guess that we have a good working relationship with them at board level, which will hold us in good stead for the future

would imagine the latter and would also probably hazard a guess that we have a good working relationship with them at board level, which will hold us in good stead for the future

Co-incidentally (or not) Europe's two big Jewish clubs too

I think that about sums it up, but I'm not sure Rose is a certainty.

I have a few mates that are in their firm ... they don't like to see their players move and are making jokes of us being lazy scouting their players.

Sure there is a little resentment ... But like I said from one yid to another

Ajax probably likes us as much as any club can like selling their players on.

- This has been their model for years, develop good youngsters, sell on to other European leagues. A consequence of the league they operate in.
- When they sell players to us (either directly or via other clubs), they generally are a big success, this is simply good advertising for their model and future sales.
And the transactions seems to be pretty smooth and under the radar, Which is good for everyone involved.

I have a few mates that are in their firm ... they don't like to see their players move and are making jokes of us being lazy scouting their players.

Sure there is a little resentment ... But like I said from one yid to another

Sure the fans will be a little miffed ... the club/board is different.

I'm watching the Fulham game right now. I still can't see how Sessegnon is worth more than 20 million.
I’ve never seen him doing anything THAT good. He’s young and scores goals which is a good habit to have, but from what I’ve seen of him I’ve never thought wow, he’s going to be really special. But I’ve only seen him a few games on tv so can’t make a definitive judgement based on that....

I’ve never seen him doing anything THAT good. He’s young and scores goals which is a good habit to have, but from what I’ve seen of him I’ve never thought wow, he’s going to be really special. But I’ve only seen him a few games on tv so can’t make a definitive judgement based on that....

My thoughts are the same. This is the post Alli world, where lower league talent is overhyped and no club wants to sell for as little as 5m.

I don't think Rose is going to be going anywhere. We still need a back-up left back (and Sessegnon is not a left back). GKN is definitely a goner. Llorente and Vincent are a bit of a toss-up. I could see Vinny getting another year with us. So our priorities for next season would be:

- Top notch young CF (left-footed preferably)
- Reserve goalie
- Creative midfielder (no urgency, but would be nice to get an Eriksen understudy sooner rather than later)

And that's about it. We're pretty deep. And have a strong bench.

I would agree with most, but I have little confidence in left footed strikers, I prefer most of my players to be comfortable on both feet, given the coaching players now get there is no excuse for being one footed and lefties are usually the worst culprits.

I would agree with most, but I have little confidence in left footed strikers, I prefer most of my players to be comfortable on both feet, given the coaching players now get there is no excuse for being one footed and lefties are usually the worst culprits.
Oops, I meant CB not CF.

Back