• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The London Taxpayers' Stadium Shambles

RichieRiv wrote:
Why do you care?

Whether you like it or not, at least someone has done something to try and regain the intimidating atmosphere the Bolyen Ground (where we used to play our home games) was so famed for.

Really?

"By writing pre-prepared chants about John Terry's sexual preferences?
That is not, to my mind, "trying to regain the intimidating atmosphere at the Boleyn Ground". It is just embarrassing, not to mention deeply alienating to some of our supporters."

There is hope!

RichieRiv wrote:
Why do you care?

Whether you like it or not, at least someone has done something to try and regain the intimidating atmosphere the Bolyen Ground (where we used to play our home games) was so famed for.

Really?

"By writing pre-prepared chants about John Terry's sexual preferences?
That is not, to my mind, "trying to regain the intimidating atmosphere at the Boleyn Ground". It is just embarrassing, not to mention deeply alienating to some of our supporters."

There is hope!

The intimidating atmosphere that carried them to so many trophies.

Having away fans worry about getting out in one piece is certainly going to help them on the pitch. :rolleyes:

I went there a few times in 90's and 2000's and it wasn't intimidating at all! The atmosphere was pretty brick for the most part as well and comes across that way for most games on tv in the last 20 years. Think this famous UP atmosphere they've talked up in the last couple of years is a bit of a myth personally.

No doubt in the 80's and 70's it was intimidating, but pretty much every away ground was in those days I imagine?

It will still be like Disneyland compared to the late '70s/early '80s and the vile filth which went down every time you stepped out of the tube and made your way into the old brick-box...seriously...I am not joking.

This is so true. Looking at those Twitter vids there are big groups of 'geezers' surging towards each other BUT when you actually look there is nothing really between the two apart from a couple of stewards in high vis jackets.
There is no real security/segregation at the OS, if they 'wanted it' each side have carte blanche to run riot.
It's just bravado,finger pointing and name calling. We do the same when the gooners get funnelled of the High rd into the Park Lane.
As Steff said in the 70/80s this situation would be a golden ticket for those minded to cause havoc.
That said, I still think something terrible could happen if Leeds or Millwall visit.

I went there a few times in 90's and 2000's and it wasn't intimidating at all! The atmosphere was pretty brick for the most part as well and comes across that way for most games on tv in the last 20 years. Think this famous UP atmosphere they've talked up in the last couple of years is a bit of a myth personally.

No doubt in the 80's and 70's it was intimidating, but pretty much every away ground was in those days I imagine?

My thoughts too. I only went there once (in 2008 when we won 2-0) but the atmosphere was flat, and this was on a Monday night against their supposed "rivals"!

From all accounts, most grounds were intimidating as you pointed, but obviously the degree of intimidation varied. I remember my Dad went to the Old Den once and we drew 0-0, he said he was glad we didn't win as he could have only imagined the aggro if we had won the game.

This is so true. Looking at those Twitter vids there are big groups of 'geezers' surging towards each other BUT when you actually look there is nothing really between the two apart from a couple of stewards in high vis jackets.
There is no real security/segregation at the OS, if they 'wanted it' each side have carte blanche to run riot.
It's just bravado,finger pointing and name calling. We do the same when the gooners get funnelled of the High rd into the Park Lane.
As Steff said in the 70/80s this situation would be a golden ticket for those minded to cause havoc.
That said, I still think something terrible could happen if Leeds or Millwall visit.

They still have Liverpool, United and Spurs to come. All 3 clubs don't exactly shy away from a ruck. I would avoid it personally for this season anyway.

I love how so many of their fans still think there is unfair reporting, its laughable really.

One bloke on my FB who I thought was a decent lad is using the "It happened at Man United and City so why report us" like they are the norm and it should not be reported.

Its just going to get worse at their place. Once the novelty factor of the new stadium has worn off, attendances will gradually drop and certainly this sort of news will stop some men from taking their kids/wives etc. Leads to an emptier stadium so WH more and more desperate to fill it up so less and less likely to filter out hooligans. Add to the fact that the stadium will just create a sh1t atmosphere because of its design so WH less likely to have a decent home record....all a recipe for disaster. The sooner they're relegated the better. At least when they get 15k-20k attendances they might think about moving to a proper football ground and trying to reverse some of this

They have a real catch22 here - the fans are unhappy about the stewarding and reacting to it with agro, but now the pressure is on to make that less flexible.

The only hope I can see is a mass redesign of the away segregation (especially concourse access) and a less antagonistic stewarding style - these would result in being able to get through a few games without agro until proper solutions can be put in place.

The obvious response is that no way will that happen with the stewarding.
However the stadium operators have a duty to their stakeholders (both WHU and the concession operations) to stay open for business.
So a set of behind closed doors games isn't as simple as a slap on the wrist to WHU, it's wider reaching.

They have a real catch22 here - the fans are unhappy about the stewarding and reacting to it with agro, but now the pressure is on to make that less flexible.

The only hope I can see is a mass redesign of the away segregation (especially concourse access) and a less antagonistic stewarding style - these would result in being able to get through a few games without agro until proper solutions can be put in place.

The obvious response is that no way will that happen with the stewarding.
However the stadium operators have a duty to their stakeholders (both WHU and the concession operations) to stay open for business.
So a set of behind closed doors games isn't as simple as a slap on the wrist to WHU, it's wider reaching.

What do they do in terms of away segregation today? I cant say I know the details. Similar, how is their stewarding different?

am i wrong in either statement,

this was initiated by chelsea fans merely leaving the ground?

west ham fans kicked off during a game they were winning?

What do they do in terms of away segregation today? I cant say I know the details. Similar, how is their stewarding different?
I'm not sure re; segregation, but judging yesterday it's clear there is access to the concourse.
At most stadiums away fans don't get any sight of other fans until they get to their seats. Maybe they could out up a wall?

Stewarding - look back at my post from earlier in the thread for full details. But in summary the stadium operator (not WHU, a private company) employee many of the UP stewards and a large amount (I reckon half - but that's not backed by data) of "event stewards". And that is a very different type of stewarding and security than football stewarding.
They also didn't transition fans from parts of UP to the same sections at LS, so lots of different types of fans sitting together.
Been very militant re: standing, chucking people out at the drop of a hat.

Add to the really odd stadium set up and it makes for an all around negative atmosphere which just creates disproportionate agro.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Back