• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2015/16 Premier League Thread

Very talented. But also very young. Going to take time for him to become a top class centre back if he ever manages to.

Of course he can improve over time, but the hype that surrounds him reminds me of the hype over the plodder which was always over the top.

Of course he can improve over time, but the hype that surrounds him reminds me of the hype over the plodder which was always over the top.

I agree he's hyped on current ability. But in terms of his talent I don't think he's over hyped. Seems to have all the right tools to become a top class centre back, but needs experience and to improve his decision making to get there.

Just like there's a tendency to over hype players before they mature there's also a tendency to write off players as not living up to their hype way too soon. Look at Smalling this season doing brilliantly for United, a year or two back he was being written off. Still only 26...

I agree he's hyped on current ability. But in terms of his talent I don't think he's over hyped. Seems to have all the right tools to become a top class centre back, but needs experience and to improve his decision making to get there.

Just like there's a tendency to over hype players before they mature there's also a tendency to write off players as not living up to their hype way too soon. Look at Smalling this season doing brilliantly for United, a year or two back he was being written off. Still only 26...

Good points and I do not disagree with most of that, but I would be livid if it was us who were trying to spend 40 mill to buy what I see as a average young player.

The hype that press and fans put on young players is not always good for the player but the press do it all the time with young English players.

Good points and I do not disagree with most of that, but I would be livid if it was us who were trying to spend 40 mill to buy what I see as a average young player.

The hype that press and fans put on young players is not always good for the player but the press do it all the time with young English players.

Agree fully. Particularly with other very talented players being available for a lot less (Dier and Alli for example). Primarily they cost less because they hadn't yet been exposed to PL football.

There's also the case of putting too much trust in a young centre back. Poch seems to trust young players more than most, but at centre back his preference seems to have been for those 25 and older. Rather natural as 23-24 is still young for most centre backs.

Not only the press, but also the English national team imo. Much too early those young talented players are expected to carry a ton of responsibility for the national team. Where perhaps players that have experienced the hype, a set back and a fight back would be better suited to the challenges of international football. Particularly with settling in quickly with new team mates.

Agree fully. Particularly with other very talented players being available for a lot less (Dier and Alli for example). Primarily they cost less because they hadn't yet been exposed to PL football.

There's also the case of putting too much trust in a young centre back. Poch seems to trust young players more than most, but at centre back his preference seems to have been for those 25 and older. Rather natural as 23-24 is still young for most centre backs.

Not only the press, but also the English national team imo. Much too early those young talented players are expected to carry a ton of responsibility for the national team. Where perhaps players that have experienced the hype, a set back and a fight back would be better suited to the challenges of international football. Particularly with settling in quickly with new team mates.

Agree and the point about the CB's is spot on. I have always said that ( imo) the most important partnership in a team is the CB pairing, having played that position most of my time in football it is really important to know what your partner is good/bad at and that only comes with experience. Wimmer has surprised me how quickly he has settled ( seeing as he has played less then 60 top class games here and in Germany) but he is a exception.

One of the reasons I really wanted us to get Toby ( over any other signing) was that is i had seen him play alongside Jan ( during their time at Ajax) and they seem to have telepathic understanding.

Agree and the point about the CB's is spot on. I have always said that ( imo) the most important partnership in a team is the CB pairing, having played that position most of my time in football it is really important to know what your partner is good/bad at and that only comes with experience. Wimmer has surprised me how quickly he has settled ( seeing as he has played less then 60 top class games here and in Germany) but he is a exception.

One of the reasons I really wanted us to get Toby ( over any other signing) was that is i had seen him play alongside Jan ( during their time at Ajax) and they seem to have telepathic understanding.

Part of what has worked with Wimmer for me is that we didn't have to throw him in at the deep end straight away this season. The team could settle into a solid unit that he's been able to come in to. And he's done that next to a great central defender in Alderweireld and after getting games in other competitions to start getting him ready.

Getting Toby was a masterstroke. I have to say I was not convinced signing him would be a good idea in the summer, but it's been the perfect signing.

Part of what has worked with Wimmer for me is that we didn't have to throw him in at the deep end straight away this season. The team could settle into a solid unit that he's been able to come in to. And he's done that next to a great central defender in Alderweireld and after getting games in other competitions to start getting him ready.

Getting Toby was a masterstroke. I have to say I was not convinced signing him would be a good idea in the summer, but it's been the perfect signing.

Good point, I said elsewhere on here that I am really surprised how quickly since the start of the season we have settled into Poch's game so quickly, it is not brain surgery to get team to press and play the way we do but it normally takes a while to achieve it so well.

Poch has really done a great job.

Good point, I said elsewhere on here that I am really surprised how quickly since the start of the season we have settled into Poch's game so quickly, it is not brain surgery to get team to press and play the way we do but it normally takes a while to achieve it so well.

Poch has really done a great job.

Quickly this season, but Pochettino was seemingly patient with implementing his ideas last season. Two pre-seasons and over a year working with some of his players and he really started implementing what he presumably wanted all along. Been some really good decisions made by him. A big struggle with a quick change in style last season could have caused more problems.

Quickly this season, but Pochettino was seemingly patient with implementing his ideas last season. Two pre-seasons and over a year working with some of his players and he really started implementing what he presumably wanted all along. Been some really good decisions made by him. A big struggle with a quick change in style last season could have caused more problems.

That is true to a point, he did not have the players who would/could do what he wanted last year and having got rid of those who would not and brought in those that would have made the difference.

He's not even remotely close to the level that Varane had at the same age.

He's not even remotely close to the level that Varane had at the same age.
The hype around Stones is mostly because he doesn't hoof it up the pitch at every opportunity as far as I can see. It laudable that he tries to be a ball playing centre half but it gets him in a lot of trouble. He's not as good as he thinks he is, but he is still a good player none the less. Needs to work on his decision making more than anything.

Last edited:
The hype around Stones is mostly because he doesn't hoof it up the pitch at every opportunity as far as I can see. It laudable that he tries to be a ball playing centre half but if gets him in a lot of trouble. He's not as good as he thinks he is, but he is still a good player none the less. Needs to work on his decision making more than anything.
Reminds me of Rio at West Ham, couldn't believe what Leeds paid for him, turned out to be a good player.

The Premier League have revealed a new logo to be used from the 2016/17 season.

The design sees the Premier League move away from title sponsorship, which is currently Barclays, and will be known as 'the Premier League' from the start of the next season, rather than the 'Barclays Premier League'.

premier-league-logo-pl_3413059.jpg

Premier League managing director Richard Masters said: "From next season, we will move away from title sponsorship and the competition will be known simply as the Premier League, a decision which provided the opportunity to consider how we wanted to present ourselves as an organisation and competition.

"We are very pleased with the outcome: a visual identity which is relevant, modern and flexible that will help us celebrate everyone that makes the Premier League.

"We look forward to sharing more details of our new positioning in the coming months."

The change represents the Premier League's first visual rebrand since 2006.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...eveals-new-logo-to-be-used-from-201617-season

Hakuna Matata

Do anyone other than marketing companies and designers benefit from these frequent re-brandings?

The Premier League have revealed a new logo to be used from the 2016/17 season.

The design sees the Premier League move away from title sponsorship, which is currently Barclays, and will be known as 'the Premier League' from the start of the next season, rather than the 'Barclays Premier League'.

premier-league-logo-pl_3413059.jpg

Premier League managing director Richard Masters said: "From next season, we will move away from title sponsorship and the competition will be known simply as the Premier League, a decision which provided the opportunity to consider how we wanted to present ourselves as an organisation and competition.

"We are very pleased with the outcome: a visual identity which is relevant, modern and flexible that will help us celebrate everyone that makes the Premier League.

"We look forward to sharing more details of our new positioning in the coming months."

The change represents the Premier League's first visual rebrand since 2006.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...eveals-new-logo-to-be-used-from-201617-season

Hakuna Matata
Looks like it was designed by Clem Fandango.

Back