• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2021/22 Premier League Thread

Just seen the Gordon penalty claim when Matip pushed him over.

Funniest thing I've seen for a while - was laughing out loud.

Was such a blatant penalty - ridiculous that VAR didnt even stop play to look at it!

Just seen the Gordon penalty claim when Matip pushed him over.

Funniest thing I've seen for a while - was laughing out loud.

Was such a blatant penalty - ridiculous that VAR didnt even stop play to look at it!

It might be funny until it happens to us. I’m not one of those on the board that the mere mention of Liverpool FC gets me frothing at the mouth / claiming wild conspiracies to minimise their success, but Lampard was right, you don’t get those penalties at Anfield. Even with VAR.

If VAR can't even produce something remotely resembling consistency in those kind of situations, then what's the point? That's a clear a penalty as you get.

I keep thinking to myself what I would do to improve that aspect of VAR. I think a big, general VAR review team covering all games could be a solution - where every situation is randomly referred to say five VAR referees, with them independently reviewing the situation within a limited time span (30 seconds?). A majority decision (foul, no foul, etc) would then be needed to overrule the on field referee.

I think the key is to force VAR referees to make reasonably quick and independent decisions - no more back and forth discussions in the VAR room (where I can easily see the strongest opinion prevailing). Also having a large enough pool of refs so you don't have the same VAR refs making all decisions in one single game, would go a long way in eliminating at least some of the potential bias among (parts of) the VAR referees.

If VAR can't even produce something remotely resembling consistency in those kind of situations, then what's the point? That's a clear a penalty as you get.

I keep thinking to myself what I would do to improve that aspect of VAR. I think a big, general VAR review team covering all games could be a solution - where every situation is randomly referred to say five VAR referees, with them independently reviewing the situation within a limited time span (30 seconds?). A majority decision (foul, no foul, etc) would then be needed to overrule the on field referee.

I think the key is to force VAR referees to make reasonably quick and independent decisions - no more back and forth discussions in the VAR room (where I can easily see the strongest opinion prevailing). Also having a large enough pool of refs so you don't have the same VAR refs making all decisions in one single game, would go a long way in eliminating at least some of the potential bias among (parts of) the VAR referees.

I'm not sure that those changes prevent the top teams getting the balance of the decisions.

I'm not sure that those changes prevent the top teams getting the balance of the decisions.

Yeah, maybe not - it was just a thought that struck me. VAR is not working very well ATM though, so surely it wouldn't do any harm trying a new approach.

Could perhaps also add a bit of transparency as to who makes the decisions in favour of which team, as well as official explenations for the biggest/most controversial decisions.

GHod knows. I'm just sick and tired of seeing tinkle poor, video reviewed (!) VAR decisions on a weekly basis. It's beyond the odd judgemental error and way into incompetance/cheat speculation territory.

Yeah, maybe not - it was just a thought that struck me. VAR is not working very well ATM though, so surely it wouldn't do any harm trying a new approach.

Could perhaps also add a bit of transparency as to who makes the decisions in favour of which team, as well as official explenations for the biggest/most controversial decisions.

GHod knows. I'm just sick and tired of seeing tinkle poor, video reviewed (!) VAR decisions on a weekly basis. It's beyond the odd judgemental error and way into incompetance/cheat speculation territory.

VAR is a joke and its killing the game for match going fans.

If it was done by an ai and was instantaneous, fine. But now you are replacing human error with human error and a couple minutes wait. Can't even celebrate a goal. Which is one of the best parts of a game.

That is the worst part of Var ( they are several more) celebrating a goal when your side scores is what was the best part of a game ( madness, joy, jumping up and down etc).Now you/we are stood around waiting for s ome prick to decide if its a good or bad one, and they still get it wrong. Worse thing to have happened to the game.

There are elements of VAR that need improving without doubt, but I don't get the 'can't celebrate a goal' thing. Every goal we've scored gets celebrated by everyone that I can see. Sure there can be a sudden come-down when you realise the goal is being reviewed by VAR, so maybe celebrations are a bit truncated sometimes, but that initial instinctive reaction to cheer, jump up and down, hug your mates etc. hasn't gone away. Not every goal needs VAR intervention. And for the celebrations that are spoiled by a VAR call, there are others where the call in our favour leads to even more celebration.

VAR decisions on offside decisions are fine, and generally binary. Its offside or its not

Decisions like the Everton penalty are inexcusable though. I'm not someone who has a problem with Liverpool but the top teams do get the balance of the decisions

If it was done by an ai and was instantaneous, fine. But now you are replacing human error with human error and a couple minutes wait. Can't even celebrate a goal. Which is one of the best parts of a game.

I've not seen the Everton pen claim, but i did see mane stick his finger up somebody's nose and try to get a finger in his eye, how that is not picked up is just incredible.
VAR should be made to explain decisions like that, because not seeing that isn't an error, its a choice.

VAR was poor on Sunday - missed two red cards and a pen.

But - Everton lol

Attachments

• 643EDBAB-DD56-451E-AE28-AC513A73F5B4.jpeg
    643EDBAB-DD56-451E-AE28-AC513A73F5B4.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 15

And that is the main thing for me. Was always bad enough looking for offisde flags, now you cant relax until the restart, wondering if this or that is being looked and is it being over-ruled and so on

There is no way we are catching Chelsea so might as well have them do us a favour and beat United......which obviosuly means a resounding home win.

Back