• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Price of Football

We are both lucky that we can afford to pay for a season ticket, I am happy to keep paying for it as long as I am enjoying it and it doesn't become a chore.

I pay around 750.00 for my season ticket in the Park Lane lower. I think it's expensive, but I believe I'm getting good value for money at the moment. Let's say we struggled like Villa for a few years, there's no way the club would lower the prices unless the attendances started to dwindle.

For everyone that says "you pay a premium like you should do when you buy a top of the range car", at what point does Premier League football stop becoming a "premium product" and simply become overpriced and a rip off? I just want to gauge opinion. If the average PL season ticket cost over 2 grand, would people still feel the same way?

I'm aware of the business aspect of the equation and understand the importance of selling club level seats to corporate entities. But at the same time, the average man in the street is the one who makes the ground's atmosphere what it is. Go to just about any ground in South America, Italy, Spain, Germany etc, the stands behind the goal are where the noise and atmosphere are generated from. It's equally important to retain those fans also.

Liverpool fans taking action shows the power that football fans have, I believe they went about it in the wrong way but I agree with the sentiment.

I do understand your point, as for the bolded bit I have never seen my season ticket as a" premium,product" more as something I am happy to spend my money on and will continue to do so. It still boils down to the point that no one makes me spend whatever I pay for the ticket and my travel. I made the decision years ago that I get more pleasure out of traveling to see Spurs then snorting brick, drinking myself silly or any of the other ways other individuals decide to spend their money.

And before anyone says its not easy for those who are married with kids well I did it then as well, its all about budgeting what money I do have, others may spend their money on other things. You pays your money and takes you choice.

I do understand your point, as for the bolded bit I have never seen my season ticket as a" premium,product" more as something I am happy to spend my money on and will continue to do so. It still boils down to the point that no one makes me spend whatever I pay for the ticket and my travel. I made the decision years ago that I get more pleasure out of traveling to see Spurs then snorting brick, drinking myself silly or any of the other ways other individuals decide to spend their money.

And before anyone says its not easy for those who are married with kids well I did it then as well, its all about budgeting what money I do have, others may spend their money on other things. You pays your money and takes you choice.

i'm married with kids, hence I rarely go now, I no longer drive a fun but impractical car or spend 4 nights a week playing darts in pubs either, my money, my choices, i'm not bleating at the landlord of the boozer that I should be able to get two quid pints because i've been drinking there for years

value is decided by the purchaser, its different for every seat and every spectator, there are those who think £750 is too much and others who would buy two so they could bring a friend (I have friends who are west ham fans who have purchased 3 season tickets each for the OS)

I feel English fan's place an importance on "atmosphere" that isn't really there, it's obviously different for each player but the secret footballer has mentioned his indifference to the crowd in the past and suggested it has no influence of the performance of some players, that it attracts overseas tv viewers to the PL is also overplayed imo, the action on the pitch is what compels people

the action of liverpool fans was a fart in a thunderstorm, ticket prices won't drop until sales do drastically

So where do you think the line should be drawn between value for money and too expensive for PL season tickets? Or do you not think there is one?

So only if attendances start to fall basically? Personally, I don't see us filling the new WHL with the prices we are charging at the moment. Arsenal can't fill the Emirates with a bigger fanbase than us.

yeah, only consistently empty stadiums will reverse the trend, tv viewing numbers will need to drop
of a cliff to reduce the ad buy there as well, "fans" really do have the ultimate power here, walk away, stay away, look away, if there are enough of them
of that mindset change will happen

spoiler: there isn't enough of them

I think we will to start with, if just for the novelty factor, i'm an infrequent visitor now, but, NEW SHINY SHINY!, we don't need to fill it for it to be a financial boon, the increase in hospitality alone will make a big difference, and we'll fill it for the Cat A's mostly so thats a third extra income for 5/6 games a season

So only if attendances start to fall basically? Personally, I don't see us filling the new WHL with the prices we are charging at the moment. Arsenal can't fill the Emirates with a bigger fanbase than us.

They still sell out more or less, it's just that a lot of STHs don't bother going. They should let more daytrippers get access to tickets.

Well you must have a very understanding wife or is she just glad to see the back of you every week:D

Where do you stand on the action Liverpool fans took in their last game? Should fans at all clubs start some action against their clubs?

I personally feel the clubs are simply fleecing the fans, they know they have an addictive product and like drug dealers they are exploiting our needs. When I started going to Spurs I think it was 2/6p for my Dad, less than 1% of his take home wage and less than a pint, now it's almost 18% of the average take home pay, for a family of 4 thats almost half their money.

The media play it a bit of lip service, but there is no full condemnation of the situation.

It's about time the fans made their feeling shown at games.

1948.jpg

I understand the agrument of market forces etc. I just feel sympathy for the kids who don't have the same choices I had. With my 2/6p pocket money I could afford to go to matches with my mates, don't think there are many kids who could do that with their pocket money today.

Back