• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

I remember wincing as he went in for that and being pleasantly surprised when he came away with the ball. It was Cattermole who is never light in a 50/50

Sunderland were looking for damage. Amazed the game finished 11 v 11. Had it been a derby, 9 v 9.

I know some will laugh at this but he plays a bit like Modric ( although not in the same class), he keeps the ball moving and once he passes it he moves into space which is the sign of a intelligent player.

Not sure he will get enough chances to show if he can progress but we live in hope.

I know some will laugh at this but he plays a bit like Modric ( although not in the same class), he keeps the ball moving and once he passes it he moves into space which is the sign of a intelligent player.

Not sure he will get enough chances to show if he can progress but we live in hope.

Agree 100% and have said so since the first few games he got under AVB in the Europa. Definitely think there is a player in there.

Yes I agree. I also think Eriksen could be better employed in a Modric like role.

There are some players that see the game differently. They not only see the spaces but have the imagination to work out which players can run into the spaces, and then calculate the angle/speed/direction of pass accordingly (and instinctively of course). I'm sure it is a spatial awareness/pattern recognition kind of thing. It is bit like holding a chess game and the various possible moves in your head when you play blindfold chess (not that I do!). Plus, importantly, they have the skill to make those passes, the touch to do it quickly, and the energy to keep moving and making those passes it over and over.

Both Carroll and Eriksen are that type of player. It sets them apart from some of the other players.
I really want Carroll to get a run of games, then at least we will know if he can make it at this level or not.

worrying that managers have seen him but have not given him time. He has been out on loan too and hasn't made the headlines as Pritchard did. Am i missing something?

worrying that managers have seen him but have not given him time. He has been out on loan too and hasn't made the headlines as Pritchard did. Am i missing something?

I don't think he did too badly at Swansea -but they do have a good midfield anyway, so it was always going to be difficult to get a regular run out -and didn't he get injured?
As for lower league I think some players aren't suited to the Championship and Carroll is possibly one of those players. He is an enabler. He needs other players around him who have the ability to benefit from his work - he can only be as good as the players he is with. Pritchard stands out because he has the ability to beat players, and make his own chances (as well as his other talents). He can easily appear better then his teammates. I don't think Carroll is that type of player.

So I see Carroll out injured with no scheduled return date, was I the only one that missed that bit of news?

Out of sight and out of mind, but this evening Tom reminded people of the kind of player h eis. Sure he might be not good enough to start when everyone is fit but it is a squad game and can contribute in his own way. He can play in a 3 behind a striker and in a deeper 2 alongside a stronger more robust partner

Last edited:
Out of sight and out of mind, but this evening Tom reminded people of the kind of player h eis. Sure he might be good enough to start when everyone is fit but it is a squad game and can contribute in his own way. He can play in a 3 behind a striker and in a deeper 2 alongside a stronger more robust partner
This part is true and I do think he needs to work a bit more on the defensive aspect of his game. Tonight he tended to mark space and ball watch a bit when stationed in front of the back 4, but that minor crib aside he was superb tonight. His use of the ball was excellent.

Last edited:
Out of sight and out of mind, but this evening Tom reminded people of the kind of player h eis. Sure he might be good enough to start when everyone is fit but it is a squad game and can contribute in his own way. He can play in a 3 behind a striker and in a deeper 2 alongside a stronger more robust partner

I thought he was fantastic today. Always looking to be direct, pass forward and had some really nice touches. A great game and I'm really happy about it!

Out of sight and out of mind, but this evening Tom reminded people of the kind of player he is. Sure he might not be good enough to start when everyone is fit but it is a squad game and can contribute in his own way. He can play in a 3 behind a striker and in a deeper 2 alongside a stronger more robust partner

I have corrected and underlined the typo

Only issue for him getting a new contract is that there could be too many players in front of him in the pecking order - though if we're expecting Alli and Dier to be first choice mainstays there is no real need to let Carroll go only to sign another backup player from elsewhere

Showed the ability we all knew he had last night. Always felt he didn't have the drive to match his ability but if he plays like that more regularly I might be forced to change my mind

Only issue for him getting a new contract is that there could be too many players in front of him in the pecking order - though if we're expecting Alli and Dier to be first choice mainstays there is no real need to let Carroll go only to sign another backup player from elsewhere

Agreed. Showed again today that he's a good player. And him having a bit of a breakthrough at 23-ish wouldn't be that strange considering he's fairly small and not the naturally strongest players.

Hope he signs another contract. We might be a bit overstocked on midfielders with him in there, but if he's happy to stay I think we have a pretty good mix of players.

Good to see our academy lads being so good at quick tempo passing. Mason, Carroll and Bentaleb really are ahead of just about every central/deep midfielder we've signed since Modric in that respect. Even if not all of them go on to become great players it's a great sign for our "production line".

Back