• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group D - Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Which two teams will progress from the group?

• Uruguay and England

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Uruguay and Italy

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Uruguay and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England and Italy

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • England and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy and Costa Rica

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While I root for England tonight, a part of me hopes Suarez shows his real self tonight, cheating his way to a Uruguay win.
Preferably by diving/faking injury to get Gerrard sent off, biting Henderson in the arm and continuously whispering racist abuse in Sterling's ears.

Will be fun when the Liverpool teammates meet up for pre season! :)8-[

While I root for England tonight, a part of me hopes Suarez shows his real self tonight, cheating his way to a Uruguay win.
Preferably by diving/faking injury to get Gerrard sent off, biting Henderson in the arm and continuously whispering racist abuse in Sterling's ears.

megalol :ross:

:ross:

I have a feeling that Suarez will be rushed back almost no matter what and that it's quite likely he'll either break down or have a poor game by his standards. Not that Uruguay really have much of a choice other than just starting him and hope it works.

Uruguay from their first match won't stand a chance against England from their first match, but who knows which teams will show up with teams like these?

I think Hodgson will keep Rooney in the side and I think it's a good decision if he does. This will be a completely different game from the Italy game, Italy had 56% possession with a 93% pass accuracy against England, Uruguay had 44% possession with a 78% pass accuracy against Costa Rica. The teams really couldn't be much more different in style. I actually think this could be a very good game for Rooney to play from the left as he did against Italy.

The scene is all set for Luis Suarez's apparent year of redemption quickly dissolve if he cheats England out of the World Cup tonight. His last touch of a ball in this tournament cemented him as a villain of world football, and since then he has bitten two fellow professionals, whilst racially abusing another. The whole world is waiting for him to do something sinister tonight.

I love the pantomime aspect of football

The scene is all set for Luis Suarez's apparent year of redemption quickly dissolve if he cheats England out of the World Cup tonight. His last touch of a ball in this tournament cemented him as a villain of world football, and since then he has bitten two fellow professionals, whilst racially abusing another. The whole world is waiting for him to do something sinister tonight.

I love the pantomime aspect of football

I am not a cheat and not a fan of it suffice to say but didnt Sturridge come out and say that he would do ANYTHING to win the match? Anything in my book means pretty much anything so not sure how thats different than someone like Suarez doing ANYTHING. This is a world cup in all honesty I think any player would do anything to win. We consider it cheating and they would be cheaters but ultimately they would have a world cup winners medal.

I can't see how Suarez can be even close to fully fit. They didn't bring him on as sub at the weekend (sat?) when they were losing their "easy" game. I can see why they would not start him, hoping he was not necessary, but I assume they would have used him if he was close to fit. Another five days doesn't seem enough to transition from not worth risking to fit. If they start him they risk doing a Costa and that cost Atletico dearly in the CL final.

I am not a cheat and not a fan of it suffice to say but didnt Sturridge come out and say that he would do ANYTHING to win the match? Anything in my book means pretty much anything so not sure how thats different than someone like Suarez doing ANYTHING. This is a world cup in all honesty I think any player would do anything to win. We consider it cheating and they would be cheaters but ultimately they would have a world cup winners medal.

There are different approaches to what we see as 'cheating' across the globe. In South America conning the referee is seen as clever thing to do, never more so exemplified by Maradona in '86.

I'm not a fan of these sort of antics myself, but there is seemingly no way of eradicating them.

There are different approaches to what we see as 'cheating' across the globe. In South America conning the referee is seen as clever thing to do, never more so exemplified by Maradona in '86.

in addition, lets not forget that we (the english) cheat too (all the time). with defenders shirt pulling etc. we've just decided that some forms of cheating are wrong, whilst some are ok (like every other country).however, in other countries (ie. uruguay), i assume they've just set their bar somewhere else. its entirely wrong for us to judge them imo, as if we are the ones with the authority to set which forms of cheating are morally ok.

in addition, lets not forget that we (the english) cheat too (all the time). with defenders shirt pulling etc. we've just decided that some forms of cheating are wrong, whilst some are ok (like every other country).however, in other countries (ie. uruguay), i assume they've just set their bar somewhere else. its entirely wrong for us to judge them imo, as if we are the ones with the authority to set which forms of cheating are morally ok.
Uruguay historically have been one of the world's most physical sides. I don't think that we are going to see a beauty vs the beast game tonight.

Uruguay historically have been one of the world's most physical sides. I don't think that we are going to see a beauty vs the beast game tonight.

the physicality of the uruguayans and the english is totally different though. when the uruguayans are physical, they usually know that they are potentially going to be penalised, and therefore only foul when they feel the need to. similar to the likes of ramos and pepe. on the other hand, the english seem confused when they get penalised for their challenges (at international games). and the british tv commentary sides with the english player in these cases and say stuff like "he's got the ball there, not a foul for me" etc.

the physicality of the uruguayans and the english is totally different though. when the uruguayans are physical, they usually know that they are potentially going to be penalised, and therefore only foul when they feel the need to. similar to the likes of ramos and pepe. on the other hand, the english seem confused when they get penalised for their challenges (at international games). and the british tv commentary sides with the english player in these cases and say stuff like "he's got the ball there, not a foul for me" etc.
I'm not sure that English players are alone in appealing for leniency from the ref for getting the ball. We saw Dani Alves do it on Monday night.

I will watch with interest tonight. Maybe we can pick this discussion up again after the game when it will be easier to make the comparison.

I'm not sure that English players are alone in appealing for leniency from the ref for getting the ball. We saw Dani Alves do it on Monday night.

I will watch with interest tonight. Maybe we can pick this discussion up again after the game when it will be easier to make the comparison.

A cynic would think that Uruguay will kick lumps out of England tonight, go down as if shot at the hint of contact, and generally **** England off. Unless Suarez is genuinely fit, this is their best chance of winning.

Back