• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Euro 2016 Group B - England, Russia, Slovakia, Wales

Don't be fooled be the hype, England are still poor and any if the bigger teams will be glad to draw them in the k o rounds.
there is absolutely no plan or road to progression with England, short term rules.

I agree about England short term planning but that has become the norm in football, managers are not allowed the time to develop a team as the next result is the be all and end all. England are not best served by the clubs as most key areas in successful teams are filled by non Englishmen and few clubs are prepared to take a chance. You just need to look at our own transfer threads, virtually all calling for international imports.

Sturridge was absolutely abysmal prior to his goal.
Agreed. Worst of all was his greediness.

Not only did he shoot on sight when no decent chance was on, he also kept laying off backwards passes so he could move into the centre even though the passes were slowing us down and increasing pressure. Spent no time at all moving defenders about or making space for others.

He was not good. However the masses would appear to think otherwise :

The masses take there lead from the media, all the headlines about Vardy and Sturridge, how often do you read a report of a game which actually focuses on the game rather than personalities in it. All of a sudden Hart makes an error, like he's never made plenty before and the press will now say his form is not what it was and we must never mention the elephant in the room Smalling's addiction to grabbing hold of people in any circumstance. The media are so concerned with keeping in with the players so that they can get their interviews rather than reporting what's happening all because they have to fill space or time.

Agreed. Worst of all was his greediness.

Not only did he shoot on sight when no decent chance was on, he also kept laying off backwards passes so he could move into the centre even though the passes were slowing us down and increasing pressure. Spent no time at all moving defenders about or making space for others.

How many people notice that sort of thing?

I'm sorry but Roy made a massive fudge up in both his team selections so far, can't believe I'm reading all this well done Roy cobblers!?

It's quite clear to anyone whose ever watched a football match that sterling shouldn't be anywhere near this team at the moment and even clearer after the Russia game, yet Roy starts him in both? It was like playing with 10 men in both games, then low and behold he subs him with Vardy and we suddenly look good, what a surprise!

Trouble is he took Kane off as well and denied him the opportunity of playing in a team with 11 players and a bit of support up there. Sturridge was playing no better than Kane did before the goal and fair play to him for that great goal, but had he not scored i think we'd be reading a different narrative of his performance. I think he's a good player by the way and id be so tempted to start Sturridge myself as well, but put him up top on his own with lallana and sterling off him and see how well he does?!?

Kane's being made a scape goat for Roy's pathetic team selection.

The only mistake he made was possibly sticking with Sterling. I don't blame him too much for playing the same 11 that were unlucky not to beat Russia. He did the right thing removing Sterling at HT yesterday.

You could make a case for keeping Kane on and bringing on Vardy to play alongside him, but Kane finished the last 4 games of the season a bit rusty besides the goal he scored against Chelsea. I haven't seen him pressing like he does for Spurs. He has barely touched the ball in the box and hasn't looked sharp. Vardy and Sturridge both look fitter/fresher/sharper/insert adjective here than Kane does, who looks jaded.

Kane's play over the last two seasons has earned him the right to be England's focal point in attack for the future, but current form dictates he shouldn't be in the starting lineup. Can see Roy starting with the two goalscorers for Slovakia, but I would be surprised if we don't see Kane in some form as a sub alongside one of the other two. If he comes on and plays well and/or scores a goal, then he gives Roy a headache, but a good one.

I don't agree he is being spacegoated at all. People were rightly questioning why Kane was taking set pieces (badly) and why Sterling was in the team. I think people were more questioning WHY Vardy wasn't starting as well, or why he wasn't used at all against Russia.

It just sounds like sour grapes by Spurs fans to not give credit to the two strikers that scored just because Kane is having a bad time.

I think that we have to worry when our only striker looks so much of the pace.
Sturridge was disappointing until his goal but Kane was so poor it was shocking!

We must be getting worried if he needs a prolonged rest because he is not going to get it!

The only mistake he made was possibly sticking with Sterling. I don't blame him too much for playing the same 11 that were unlucky not to beat Russia. He did the right thing removing Sterling at HT yesterday.

You could make a case for keeping Kane on and bringing on Vardy to play alongside him, but Kane finished the last 4 games of the season a bit rusty besides the goal he scored against Chelsea. I haven't seen him pressing like he does for Spurs. He has barely touched the ball in the box and hasn't looked sharp. Vardy and Sturridge both look fitter/fresher/sharper/insert adjective here than Kane does, who looks jaded.

Kane's play over the last two seasons has earned him the right to be England's focal point in attack for the future, but current form dictates he shouldn't be in the starting lineup. Can see Roy starting with the two goalscorers for Slovakia, but I would be surprised if we don't see Kane in some form as a sub alongside one of the other two. If he comes on and plays well and/or scores a goal, then he gives Roy a headache, but a good one.

I don't agree he is being escaped goated at all. People were rightly questioning why Kane was taking set pieces (badly) and why Sterling was in the team. I think people were more questioning WHY Vardy wasn't starting as well, or why he wasn't used at all against Russia.

It just sounds like sour grapes by Spurs fans to not give credit to the two strikers that scored just because Kane is having a bad time.

tickle my balls with a feather and a good summing up. It seems that no matter how poor any of our players are its a sacrilege to mention it to those who wear blue tinted glasses. How dare we he is " one of our own" don't you know.

Am I the only one who thought Rooney was a bit dodgy when pressured? He lost posession on a few occasions and there were other times when he tried to turn out of being pressed and almost got stripped of the ball.

Am I the only one who thought Rooney was a bit dodgy when pressured? He lost posession on a few occasions and there were other times when he tried to turn out of being pressed and almost got stripped of the ball.

He's like a lot of forward players of a certain age, I called it old mans disease, it's when a player needs more time and space to do things he did quiet easily in tight situations, he moves further back in the field of play to buy that time, it works for awhile but it's the begin of the end as a goal scoring force. Brutal I know but time will tell.

He's like a lot of forward players of a certain age, I called it old mans disease, it's when a player needs more time and space to do things he did quiet easily in tight situations, he moves further back in the field of play to buy that time, it works for awhile but it's the begin of the end as a goal scoring force. Brutal I know but time will tell.

I suffer from a really bad case of that disease.

I think that we have to worry when our only striker looks so much of the pace.
Sturridge was disappointing until his goal but Kane was so poor it was shocking!

We must be getting worried if he needs a prolonged rest because he is not going to get it!
That's funny. I could have sworn it was Kane who early on put Lallana clear with a deft piece of work? Not his fault Sterling fluffed the chance that Lallana went on to provide. Had that move led to a goal like it should have done, how different would the narrative be now? Harry would not have been taken off at half-time for a start and who knows how it might have changed the game by obliging Wales to go on the attack.

Funny how little nuggets like that get written out of the script because they do not play to the vogue narrative that he's tired and needs a break.

Not disputing he was below par but to suggest he was shocking, well, a tad OTT don't you think?

That's funny. I could have sworn it was Kane who early on put Lallana clear with a deft piece of work? Not his fault Sterling fluffed the chance that Lallana went on to provide. Had that move led to a goal like it should have done, how different would the narrative be now? Harry would not have been taken off at half-time for a start and who knows how it might have changed the game by obliging Wales to go on the attack.

Funny how little nuggets like that get written out of the script because they do not play to the vogue narrative that he's tired and needs a break.

Not disputing he was below par but to suggest he was shocking, well, a tad OTT don't you think?

modern man, got to go with the zeitgeist

No sadly he was poor - not OTT. The only mitigating circumstances was tiredness and no other player looked too much better.
Harry needs a break.
Sturridge is a far better striker for me, as he has far more variation to his game. Harry tends to the same thing too often IMHO he has become a little predictable.

Back