• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Re: Has Franco Baldini been sacked already?

Was thinking about the possibility of Van Gaal coming. Most articles I can find online suggest he wouldn't want to work under a director of football. Will Baldini be out the door then?

Was thinking about the possibility of Van Gaal coming. Most articles I can find online suggest he wouldn't want to work under a director of football. Will Baldini be out the door then?

LVG has always worked with a DoF. Including in recent years at AZ and Bayern.

I don't think he'd work without one (like AVB didn't want to). LVG wants to concentrate on coaching and finds transfers business disruptive.

LVG has always worked with a DoF. Including in recent years at AZ and Bayern.

I don't think he'd work without one (like AVB didn't want to). LVG wants to concentrate on coaching and finds transfers business disruptive.

So he's basically Levy's dream manager ;)

how would you judge baldini's performance? I'd say:

1- a balanced first team squad with sufficient depth
2- an academy of talents that play the same way as the first eleven

And i find it hard to say that baldini has succeeded at either.

I even wonder if the club as a footballing system/ethos/philosophy that bridges the junior to senior squad.

Just looking at the same team playing so differently under AVB and Sherwood - I'd say a lack of one to unify the club management and performance on the pitch is something that needs to be looked at. I'd assumed that Baldini should be in charge at least of leading or faciliting this discussion and ensuring decisions. Otherwise how is he going to do his job well? So a third key performance indicator:

3- ensuring common footballing ethos/philposophy/system across senior and junior squad, and supporting club systems and processes.

i think he was a first choice left back away from completing your first objective after his first window - which if you consider the amount of movement is quite a feat.

and with regards to 2&3 : are we really going to judge him on the academy at this stage? that's quite something even for Spurs fans :lol:

Baldini was brought in as a deal-breaker as far as I can see.

As far as I can see, we operate a transfer committee to decide targets.

Baldini will have an input into this, as will Levy, the current first-team head coach and maybe one or two senior first team coaches, then a variety of Levy's advisors, which include various people he still talks to within the game.

Targets are decided and agreed but Lewis & Levy probably have the final say due to the financing of the deals. Once the targets are agreed, Baldini is sent with a maximum budget to close the deal.

I'd say Villa & Willian aside, which really couldn't be helped, we bagged every single major target last summer as well as receiving IMO ridiculously high values for our outgoing players.

Sending Ekotto on loan to QPR and not signing a left back was criminal WITH HINDSIGHT, but the club appears to have wanted to give Rose a chance in the first-team and AVB fell out with Ekotto. Not Baldini's fault IMO.

I'd say Baldini was and is doing a superb job so far.

Baldini will have an input into this, as will Levy, the current first-team head coach and maybe one or two senior first team coaches, then a variety of Levy's advisors, which include various people he still talks to within the game.

Targets are decided and agreed but Lewis & Levy probably have the final say due to the financing of the deals. Once the targets are agreed, Baldini is sent with a maximum budget to close the deal.

I'd say Villa & Willian aside, which really couldn't be helped, we bagged every single major target last summer as well as receiving IMO ridiculously high values for our outgoing players.

Sending Ekotto on loan to QPR and not signing a left back was criminal WITH HINDSIGHT, but the club appears to have wanted to give Rose a chance in the first-team and AVB fell out with Ekotto. Not Baldini's fault IMO.

I agree with most of that but I doubt that Lewis is that hands on. I was under the impression that he largely left the running of the club to Levy

how would you judge baldini's performance? I'd say:

1- a balanced first team squad with sufficient depth
2- an academy of talents that play the same way as the first eleven

And i find it hard to say that baldini has succeeded at either.

I even wonder if the club as a footballing system/ethos/philosophy that bridges the junior to senior squad.

Just looking at the same team playing so differently under AVB and Sherwood - I'd say a lack of one to unify the club management and performance on the pitch is something that needs to be looked at. I'd assumed that Baldini should be in charge at least of leading or faciliting this discussion and ensuring decisions. Otherwise how is he going to do his job well? So a third key performance indicator:

3- ensuring common footballing ethos/philposophy/system across senior and junior squad, and supporting club systems and processes.

I'd say they are all fair measures. BUT, they need to be applied from 2-3 years' time onward.

The DoF role is inherently about the long term. Most of Comolli's best work came to fruition after he'd left (Modric, Bale, BAE, Kaboul).

The long term planning is essential. Redknapp's short-termism was great for him, but it left us in a situation where we had to turnover 15 players in 15 months and where only two of his signings remain (Sandro and Walker).

Baldini's reputation is two-fold - having contacts and negotiating big deals, and discovering young (especially South American) talent.

The former he performed excellently in the summer. Bar David Villa, Willian and Coentrao, he got all our deals over the line, and the former two he managed to do deals for the 2nd names down the list (Soldado and Eriksen).

What I want to see more of from Baldini this summer, is four or five 17-20 year olds arriving from Brazil, Argentina and Europe, who will go into the academy and then start filtering into the first team over the next few years.

I absolutely agree with this and am glad to see it highlighted. In previous summers we have twitched, hesitated, haggled before finally dragging deals over the line on deadline day. Baldini came in and we brokered several big deals early. Yes he's part of the committee but we can't lay all of the blame at his feet for a failure to kick on. I think he's done a pretty good job and I'll be very disappointed if he isn't given a 2nd year in the job.

What I want to see more of from Baldini this summer, is four or five 17-20 year olds arriving from Brazil, Argentina and Europe, who will go into the academy and then start filtering into the first team over the next few years.

Given the quality that is currently in our u-21s/youth teams would this not stop some of that young talent blossoming and coming through? I'd like to see 1-2 max of that type.

Where did this whole notion that we have a 'transfer committee' come about? Is it something that has come directly out of the club or just the media?

This is extremely hard for us to do due to our work permit laws. Unless the player qualifies for an Italian/Spanish/Portuguese passport then they are reasonably unlikely to be granted a work permit unless they are already a full international.

This is extremely hard for us to do due to our work permit laws. Unless the player qualifies for an Italian/Spanish/Portuguese passport then they are reasonably unlikely to be granted a work permit unless they are already a full international.

Don't we have a Belgian feeder club we can use for that?

Standard Liege isn't it?

Don't we have a Belgian feeder club we can use for that?

Standard Liege isn't it?

I think we have a 'relationship' with a Belgian club.... (the Fryers signing seemed to demonstrate that - was that Standard Liege?).

Other than that Fryers signing it doesn't seem to be a relationship that we have really used so far. Also Isn't it more the African nations that the Belgium work permit rules are relaxed for? (or have i just made that up?)

I think we have a 'relationship' with a Belgian club.... (the Fryers signing seemed to demonstrate that - was that Standard Liege?).

Other than that Fryers signing it doesn't seem to be a relationship that we have really used so far. Also Isn't it more the African nations that the Belgium work permit rules are relaxed for? (or have i just made that up?)

I think it was Liege. Not sure about belgian work permits, you may be right - I know they've been used for african players a lot, is it Portugal where they do the same for South Americans?

what i don't get is who is handling the immediate short term transfers?
say LB - madness to have just rose and send out BAE, and decide fryers wasn't ready and not better than a reluctant verts who is so ****ed he seems to be agitating for a move.

are we going to hang him out to dry over one position metalgear? - the squad needed a lot of work in the summer and we strengthened in most other areas

my thinking is we probably thought Coentreau (or whatever his bloody name is) was a goer up until the last moment and then when that fell through we still had Rose Fryers and Vertonghen who can all play LB - although not ideal it probably wasn't seen as the calamity it turned out to be.

I think it was Liege. Not sure about belgian work permits, you may be right - I know they've been used for african players a lot, is it Portugal where they do the same for South Americans?

Pretty sure a lot of the Brazilians come over due to Portugal's settlement of Brazil, maybe the Africans do the same in Belgium. If I remember rightly the Congo area was Belgian up to the Second World War (if not later)

Where did this whole notion that we have a 'transfer committee' come about? Is it something that has come directly out of the club or just the media?

Most things on here is hear say that are converted into facts to suit someone's argument....

I think I've heard this comittee being mentionned in interviews etc. IIRC correctly AVB might have nodded towards them at some stage.

Back