• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Re: Has Franco Baldini been sacked already?

I think I've heard this comittee being mentionned in interviews etc. IIRC correctly AVB might have nodded towards them at some stage.

Ah reet, just wondered how reliable the information is. Hadn't seen anything 'official' myself.

I'd say they are all fair measures. BUT, they need to be applied from 2-3 years' time onward.

The DoF role is inherently about the long term. Most of Comolli's best work came to fruition after he'd left (Modric, Bale, BAE, Kaboul).

The long term planning is essential. Redknapp's short-termism was great for him, but it left us in a situation where we had to turnover 15 players in 15 months and where only two of his signings remain (Sandro and Walker).

Baldini's reputation is two-fold - having contacts and negotiating big deals, and discovering young (especially South American) talent.

The former he performed excellently in the summer. Bar David Villa, Willian and Coentrao, he got all our deals over the line, and the former two he managed to do deals for the 2nd names down the list (Soldado and Eriksen).

What I want to see more of from Baldini this summer, is four or five 17-20 year olds arriving from Brazil, Argentina and Europe, who will go into the academy and then start filtering into the first team over the next few years.

The club haven't announced the deals, probably because they're too young, but haven't the Nigerian press confirmed we've signed some 17 year old Nigerian midfielder. I'm pretty sure the Belgian press said we'd signed some 17 year old from Anderlecht too, so presumably no confirmation from the club, but we should see both of these players in u18 academy line-ups next year?

are we going to hang him out to dry over one position metalgear? - the squad needed a lot of work in the summer and we strengthened in most other areas

my thinking is we probably thought Coentreau (or whatever his bloody name is) was a goer up until the last moment and then when that fell through we still had Rose Fryers and Vertonghen who can all play LB - although not ideal it probably wasn't seen as the calamity it turned out to be.

Maybe both managers were happy with Rose as first choice and we were never going to sign somebody who wasn't a significant upgrade?

Given the quality that is currently in our u-21s/youth teams would this not stop some of that young talent blossoming and coming through? I'd like to see 1-2 max of that type.

How good are they really? Considering across the board, England isn't really producing any top players at the moment.

I've heard people say that one or two of Pritchard, Coulthirst and Ceballos could make it as EPL players in the next 2-4 years. But then compare that to teams like Ajax, Porto, Dortmund, who bring through 2 or 3 players each year who are as good, or better than, the big names they sell off.

I want Baldini to be bringing in a new generation of teenagers of the calibre of his De Rossi, Samuel, Cassano, Higuain, Marquinho, Pjanic and Lamela discoveries.

This is extremely hard for us to do due to our work permit laws. Unless the player qualifies for an Italian/Spanish/Portuguese passport then they are reasonably unlikely to be granted a work permit unless they are already a full international.

I thought this was ok since work permits were abolished a year or two ago. The PBS makes it easier for highly skilled workers like footballers.

How good are they really? Considering across the board, England isn't really producing any top players at the moment.

I've heard people say that one or two of Pritchard, Coulthirst and Ceballos could make it as EPL players in the next 2-4 years. But then compare that to teams like Ajax, Porto, Dortmund, who bring through 2 or 3 players each year who are as good, or better than, the big names they sell off.

I want Baldini to be bringing in a new generation of teenagers of the calibre of his De Rossi, Samuel, Cassano, Higuain, Marquinho, Pjanic and Lamela discoveries.

I thought this was ok since work permits were abolished a year or two ago. The PBS makes it easier for highly skilled workers like footballers.

Unless you're Man United the demands are still pretty high. Not all footballers are highly skilled ;)

I think we will see a few young players come through the academy in the next 3-5 years. In the next gen series a couple of years back our youngsters advanced quite far and were only turfed out over a technicality. Last season they bossed the U21 league and played some very good football and right now the U18's are doing really well too. All we hear in interviews is the ethos of the academy about being about developing technical players and how the teams play the same system right the way up the chain. The first team won't see the benefits of this until the first few waves of youngsters trained this way come of age.

The other thing to consider is that in the Eredivisie the average age of players is quite young. Their kids are getting a competitive grounding early on in a top division whereas most of ours are out at Swindon in League 1. We have had successes in recent years with players like Townsend, Caulker and Walker being blooded at other EPL clubs but such is the level of competition in this league, we can't afford to blood all our youngsters in our first team.

Maybe both managers were happy with Rose as first choice and we were never going to sign somebody who wasn't a significant upgrade?

Rose had a good time up at Sunderland and we done the same thing with Walker after he had a good prem loan with Villa so it is possible. just remember there being a lot of smoke with regards to Coentreau so think it's likely he was a target

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Spurs-man-heading-exit/story-20942589-detail/story.html

Franco Baldini is reportedly in talks over a severance package with Spurs.

The sporting director has come in for criticism over the club's transfer policy during the summer.

And now reports in Italy suggest that he is set to leave the club at the end of the season.

Tutto Mercato say Spurs may look to appoint a successor for Baldini - who only joined the club last summer - but that the club's new manager is set to have greater control over transfers.

consistent with the scenario that he screwed up avb's tenure and now confirmed with sherwood. levy = last man standing. what does that say.

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Spurs-man-heading-exit/story-20942589-detail/story.html

The sporting director has come in for criticism over the club's transfer policy during the summer.

And now reports in Italy suggest that he is set to leave the club at the end of the season.

Tutto Mercato say Spurs may look to appoint a successor for Baldini - who only joined the club last summer - but that the club's new manager is set to have greater control over transfers.

Hip hip ...

Good riddance.

Pfft, don't know if I think this is a good move or not. There was some talk of Sherwood moving into a more technical role a month ago, but it seems in the last week all that talk has died down and he's playing the manager or bust card.

Back