• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Re: Has Franco Baldini been sacked already?

The man has the better record than any Spurs manager in living memory and it will be a real coup if we manage to get him but you can kinda see how it is going to end already.

Yeah, it looks tailor-made for a classic Spurs fiasco.

But even if there's as much as a 50/50 chance of fiasco/glory, given LvG's record, he'd probably still be worth the punt. Half the time he'd bring glory, which is a sporting chance.

Yeah, it looks tailor-made for a classic Spurs fiasco.

But even if there's as much as a 50/50 chance of fiasco/glory, given LvG's record, he'd probably still be worth the punt. Half the time he'd bring glory, which is a sporting chance.

I agree

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...pecting-to-keep-tottenham-job-ahead-of-summer

EXCLUSIVE
By Duncan Castles

Franco Baldini expects to be retained as Tottenham's technical director for the coming Premier League season, Goal can reveal.

Appointed last June after an extended courtship, the Italian has borne much of the criticism for the club's failure either to qualify for the Champions League or to win silverware following a £100 million summer spending spree.

While Baldini accepts that none of the seven senior players signed during his first White Hart Lane transfer window have excelled in their debut Premier League seasons - and is prepared to accept ultimate responsibility for their failings if his employer requires it - he argues that their recruitment should not be considered a waste of Tottenham's resources.

Forced to sell the division's most decisive footballer to Real Madrid when Gareth Bale insisted on moving to Spain, and despite going through a mid-season change of coach, Tottenham are poised to finish this campaign just one Premier League position and a maximum of six points short of last season's total. A single point at home to Aston Villa will secure a place ahead of deposed champions Manchester United.

For Baldini that is an indicator that the overall quality of Tottenham's squad has been improved by the summer reinvestment in Roberto Soldado, Erik Lamela, Paulinho, Christian Eriksen, Etienne Capoue, Vlad Chiriches and Nacer Chadli.

As all seven signings arrived from overseas leagues and all have struggled in one way or another, Baldini believes the club is certain to receive a better return from the spend as the players benefit from a year's adaptation to the English game.

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has been unnerved by a campaign that was expected to deliver not only lucrative Champions League qualification but also a direct challenge for the title.

Levy felt he was forced into the mid-December dismissal of Andre Villas-Boas, with whom his working relationship was extremely poor. He has also been disappointed by some of Tim Sherwood's actions since succeeding the Portuguese.

Baldini has counselled patience, advising that Levy wait until the end of the season to review Sherwood's performance and make a final judgement on whether to allow the abrasive Englishman to continue as coach. He also proposed a strategy of avoiding talking to candidates to replace Sherwood until that decision to sack or back was taken.

It is understood that the approach for Ajax coach Frank de Boer, made public last week, actually dates back to November when Tottenham were sounding out candidates as an insurance policy should they deem it necessary to replace Villas-Boas.

Baldini strikes me as a good people person, as well as a negotiator and talent spotter.

I think that's useful as this is something Levy is not exactly known for. Good cop - bad cop approach and all that.

It might help us win friends across the boardrooms of Europe and South America.

I'm glad we are retaining Baldini, the continuity, structure and plan seems to be in place through him. If he was to be sacked it really would be a bit of a joke.

I think that it was obvious that he was staying on. If he was departing, he would have gone by now. There would have been no need to retain him when we did zero business in January and a change of manager in the summer.

I am pleased that he is staying on. Hopefully, we will have a more stable and planned transfer window this summer.

I'm glad we are retaining Baldini, the continuity, structure and plan seems to be in place through him. If he was to be sacked it really would be a bit of a joke.

Agreed - i would really struggle to defend Levy if Baldini was sacked/let go this summer.

i am still not sure about his role and whether he really adds value or not. he had to be involved in avb's dismissal and from the above report, sherwood's installment. also it was clear we needed to hit the ground running and not just buy value for next season to replace that bale sized hole. sure he may win more friends to allow us to buy more players, but it will be pointless until baldini, levy and the coach find a way to work together across all activities on and off the pitch.

i am still not sure about his role and whether he really adds value or not. he had to be involved in avb's dismissal and from the above report, sherwood's installment. also it was clear we needed to hit the ground running and not just buy value for next season to replace that bale sized hole. sure he may win more friends to allow us to buy more players, but it will be pointless until baldini, levy and the coach find a way to work together across all activities on and off the pitch.

His role from what I can understand:
-Obviously a massive say in who the new manager will be (assuming Sherwood is gone).
-Head of scouting and most likely youth recruitment, at least from abroad.
-Important role in negotiations with other teams, players and agents.
-Important part of the transfer committee.

If he adds value or not is pretty much impossible to say from the outside at this point. Most agree that last summer's signing should be given at least one more season to prove themselves. We've been linked to and signed kids as young as 16 I think, for this part of his job (youth recruitment) it could take a decade to see the true results.

Right now, I agree with you, it's about getting players that can hit the ground running next summer. Sort out those weaknesses in the squad.

I read somewhere that 'Baldini' is Latin for 'shield of the bald one'. Not sure it's true, though.

Seeing it all from block 29.

BALDINI

SOURCE: Given Name
USAGE: Italian

Meaning & History: Means "son of Baldino". The given name Baldino is a diminutive of BALDO.

BALDO

USAGE: Italian

Meaning & History: Short form of BALDOVINO, TEOBALDO and other names containing the Germanic element bald "bold, brave".

[h=1]What Does Name "Baldini" Mean[/h]
You can go to great heights and equally great depths. :lol: You are emotional and fixed in your opinions. You are hospitable, sentimental, often psychic, sometimes moody. You are ruled by love and the lack of it and feel a need to be encouraged and appreciated. You are bold, independent, inquisitive and interested in research. You know what you want and why you want it.You find the best contentment in life when you own your own home and provide well for your family and loved ones. You have a great sense of responsibility and duty. You are comforting, appreciative and affectionate. Your obligation in life is to hold justice and truth, and if you follow the Law, you can find the great happiness and satisfaction.

Baldini has counselled patience, advising that Levy wait until the end of the season to review Sherwood's performance and make a final judgement on whether to allow the abrasive Englishman to continue as coach. He also proposed a strategy of avoiding talking to candidates to replace Sherwood until that decision to sack or back was taken.

I really hope that's not the case. What kind of utter ****ing idiot would recommend that we take such a major decision without knowing all the facts?

If we don't speak to other managers, how do we know whether or not to sack Timmeh?

I want him gone more than most, but if the only two people answering our job advert are Allardyce and Pardew then I'd be a little tempted to stick with what we have. If, on the other hand, people like LVG or Bielsa are truly interested then Timmeh should be swiftly out the door on the end of Levy's boot.

I really, really hope this is just a (usually good) journalist filling space with a nothing sentence.

Maybe it's a way to buy ourselves more time/ stall, while waiting for outsider candidates, such as Ancelotti and others, to have their futures clarified.

It also means FDB , Poch etc dont become too restless.
Also shows TS a little respect, in that he's not been sent to job centre by default.

I'm sure it's just a formality; and people are working behind the scenes, in terms of recruitment.

I really hope that's not the case. What kind of utter ****ing idiot would recommend that we take such a major decision without knowing all the facts?

If we don't speak to other managers, how do we know whether or not to sack Timmeh?

I want him gone more than most, but if the only two people answering our job advert are Allardyce and Pardew then I'd be a little tempted to stick with what we have. If, on the other hand, people like LVG or Bielsa are truly interested then Timmeh should be swiftly out the door on the end of Levy's boot.

I really, really hope this is just a (usually good) journalist filling space with a nothing sentence.

The club got a lot of criticism for the way talked to Ramos before sacking Jol.

I think the best course of action is to not get caught, and I think that's pretty much Levy's choice.

I have to say that your example of only Allardyce and Pardew being available seems a bit... far fetched.

The club got a lot of criticism for the way talked to Ramos before sacking Jol.

I think the best course of action is to not get caught, and I think that's pretty much Levy's choice.

I have to say that your example of only Allardyce and Pardew being available seems a bit... far fetched.

You're right of course, it's just the extreme example I was using to show the point. Fact is, I'd like us to have a replacement available (or at least know we have a good selection of them) before we make our move.

You're right of course, it's just the extreme example I was using to show the point. Fact is, I'd like us to have a replacement available (or at least know we have a good selection of them) before we make our move.

Certainly before we make our move and sack a manager.

But if the article is correct (big assumption) Baldini was saying that we should avoid talking to new candidates before a decision was made to sack him or not, not to wait until we sacked him. Although he also argued a different point, that we should wait until the end of the season to decide on that.

Back