• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Franco Baldini

Re: Has Franco Baldini been sacked already?

Not only do i not buy that but i feel it's a very very very weak excuse for our/Baldini's failings.

He was instructed to get a CM and pinpointed Paulinho. He was instructed to get a striker and splashed big ££££ on Soldado. He was instructed to get a CB and thought Vlad Chiriches was a good shout. Over 50m on these 3?

Hell most (me included) have faith in Lamela but even he hasn't worked out yet (especially for nearly 30m).

Baldini has failed miserably so far.

Would Rodwell, Benteke and Ferdinand for 50m (the Redknapp approach) worked out better? Would they have retained their value better?

Not only do i not buy that but i feel it's a very very very weak excuse for our/Baldini's failings.

He was instructed to get a CM and pinpointed Paulinho. He was instructed to get a striker and splashed big ££££ on Soldado. He was instructed to get a CB and thought Vlad Chiriches was a good shout. Over 50m on these 3?

Hell most (me included) have faith in Lamela but even he hasn't worked out yet (especially for nearly 30m).

were Paulinho and Soldado not done before we appointed Baldini?

In terms of a progressive culture permeating the club - yes. That can ride the changing of coaches and the exodus of players. One that values technique, hardwork, resilience and organic growth; over reputation, veneer and appeasement.

In terms of finances, obviously - no.

Our youth system is pretty crap compared to theirs, don't see that changing any time soon.

To be fair, we've had numerous managerial changes, but we've finished in the top 6 consistently in the last 8 or 9 years.

Style of play is a big factor though, it's changed a lot as the managers have changed.

Would Rodwell, Benteke and Ferdinand for 50m (the Redknapp approach) worked out better? Would they have retained their value better?

Benteke yes.

Rodwell? Not much difference really.

Why do you assume he would sign Ferdinand? Is it just because you hate Redknapp. People like you fail to acknowledge he wanted players like Remy for example because it doesn't fit the narrative of only wanting to sign his old mates like Joe Cole, Rio etc.

That's supposition. You don't even know if those players were identified by Baldini.

Juergen, I think could you could say a lot of teams youth set up is crap in comparison to sotons. Look at the talent they have brought through in the last 5 years.

As for the general point, it's to early to say and there way to many things we don't know. I think he is working within a very tight remit.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

That's supposition. You don't even know if those players were identified by Baldini.

ok then we don't need a DOF then. If he doesn't identify players what's the point? Levy is already the best around at negotiating so what does baldini bring to the table?

The fact is Chiriches and paulinho were roma targets when Baldini was DOF so it's safe to say he had a say in the matter.

Benteke yes.

Rodwell? Not much difference really.

Why do you assume he would sign Ferdinand? Is it just because you hate Redknapp. People like you fail to acknowledge he wanted players like Remy for example because it doesn't fit the narrative of only wanting to sign his old mates like Joe Cole, Rio etc.

Rodwell would have provided faaaaaar more than paulinho ever has. GB was trying to be funny with his response but the sad reality of it is that the 3 players he mentioned would all be superior to what we actually got.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...ghlyrated-sevilla-talent-spotter-9790913.html

Tottenham are interested in hiring Sevilla sporting director Monchi at the end of the season.

According to reports in Spain, Monchi, considered one of the best in Europe at his job, is to leave Sevilla at the end of the campaign in search of a new challenge.

Both Barcelona and Bayern Munich are said to be following developments but Monchi is also keen to work in another league and speaks English well.

When Spurs prised coach Juande Ramos from Sevilla in 2007, many felt that they had got the wrong man and that they should have approached Monchi instead.

Franco Baldini is currently technical director at Spurs but his role was called into question after the signings he masterminded in the summer of 2013.

Spurs spent more than £100million on seven players after selling Gareth Bale to Real Madrid but until now only playmaker Christian Eriksen has proved value for money.

Monchi has built an excellent reputation at Sevilla by signing a number of promising players who developed into world stars

Dani Alves, Seydou Keita and Ivan Rakitic, to name three, were all snapped up for small fees before being sold to Barcelona at a considerable profit

ok then we don't need a DOF then. If he doesn't identify players what's the point? Levy is already the best around at negotiating so what does baldini bring to the table?

The fact is Chiriches and paulinho were roma targets when Baldini was DOF so it's safe to say he had a say in the matter.

There's a bit of a jump in logic there KD. Baldini was appointed on 19th June last summer when AVB had already been in position for a year. I think that given Baldini came in so late, it is likely that the majority of transfer targets were already identified when he was appointed.

Regarding what is the point of a DoF? The role involves more than just identifying potential targets. Pretty much every club of our size or bigger in Europe has a technical director, director of football, general manager or someone with similar responsibilities, why should we be any different?

There's a bit of a jump in logic there KD. Baldini was appointed on 19th June last summer when AVB had already been in position for a year. I think that given Baldini came in so late, it is likely that the majority of transfer targets were already identified when he was appointed.

Regarding what is the point of a DoF? The role involves more than just identifying potential targets. Pretty much every club of our size or bigger in Europe has a technical director, director of football or someone with similar responsibilities, why should we be any different?

I don't get the second part of your post...because every club has it we should? even if it looks like it's failing. You say it involves more but you don't tell me what they are?

I think baldini played a big part in identifying players tbh.

Regarding what is the point of a DoF? The role involves more than just identifying potential targets. Pretty much every club of our size or bigger in Europe has a technical director, director of football, general manager or someone with similar responsibilities, why should we be any different?

On the date thing, our interest in Baldini had been long monitored/reported/mooted before 19 June. It is not a massive supposition to believe that, a bit before an official join date, there had been discussions about the sort of players that would be recommended and looked for.

Of our signings thus far since Baldini joined, the only ones that undoubtedly appear to be primarily his signings are Lamela and Chiriches. The others could just as easily have been suggested by others on our "transfer committee". Certainly, I seem to remember that AVB had long been keen on Paulinho and that he was keen to bring in Soldado too.

Our youth system is pretty crap compared to theirs, don't see that changing any time soon.

To be fair, we've had numerous managerial changes, but we've finished in the top 6 consistently in the last 8 or 9 years.

Style of play is a big factor though, it's changed a lot as the managers have changed.

That's not true, actually. Not now.

We now have one of the best youth systems in the country. We're only now beginning to see the fruits of the root and branch change that has been effected since the appointment of John McDermott to the position of Academy Director. Townsend, Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Rose, Carroll, Pritchard, Caulker, Livermore...........none of them world beaters, maybe, but all decent players who will have a good Premier League (or foreign equivalent) future - some with the potential to become very good. It's a far better output in a relatively short time than we have had for decades. And those players are only the vanguard. There is better to come. Seriously.....we have some very good prospects.

The problem which we have - and which Southampton didn't, until recently (which is why their academy appears to be better than ours) - is the difficulty of affording our academy products first team opportunities. That is the big test for us now. Not producing players but assimilating them into the first team.

Of our signings thus far since Baldini joined, the only ones that undoubtedly appear to be primarily his signings are Lamela and Chiriches. The others could just as easily have been suggested by others on our "transfer committee". Certainly, I seem to remember that AVB had long been keen on Paulinho and that he was keen to bring in Soldado too.

i believe avb wanted the other brazilian more - the one that walked to chelsea after passing our medical.

I don't get the second part of your post...because every club has it we should? even if it looks like it's failing. You say it involves more but you don't tell me what they are?

I think baldini played a big part in identifying players tbh.

I don't really see that you have made the case for it failing. It just feels like you are looking for someone to pin the blame on for signing players that you don't rate and have settled on Baldini.

The Paulinho deal was completed a little over a couple of weeks after Baldini joined. Given the complexity of South American deals, I think that it is very unlikely that he was one of his.

I don't really see that you have made the case for it failing. It just feels like you are looking for someone to pin the blame on for signing players that you don't rate and have settled on Baldini.
Again I'll ask..

You said a DOF has many other roles, can you please ket me know a few?

Back