• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

What have they hyped him up to be? I see him as a 6 and I think most people do but he can also good going forward as he got 7 league goals for Arsenal including some important match winning goals. No one is saying he is as good as Rodri, he’s clearly a level below him. McClean is entitled to his opinion and he’s not wrong that we do overrate our players, although I’d say the more overrated players in recent memory are the likes of Stones, Rooney & Joe Hart rather than Rice. Rio Ferdinand even said Saka isn’t world class yet so it’s not like everyone in England believes we’ve got a team of great players. Back to McClean, it does come across as bitterness even if he is half right. Does also make me laugh how badly the Scots, Irish and Welsh are want England to lose and yet support English clubs teams.
Sorry, you think prime Wayne Rooney was overrated? My word...:oops:

Sorry, you think prime Wayne Rooney was overrated? My word...:oops:

In the sense that people compared him to Messi and Ronaldo. He was a great player but he’s miles behind those two. Overrated doesn’t always mean bad, just not as good as some portray him to be. He only scored 20 league goals twice in his career.

Yet Southgate thought it'd be fine to leave behind the best performing English CB in Europe on current form in Dier. Experience, leadership, the ability to ping a 40 yarder if necessary...I think Stones and Guehi have been very good in all fairness, but if one of them gets hurt, we're fudged because Dunk is a carthorse at this level.

Best performing English CB in Europe? Are you sure about that Steff? Bayern finished third and had their worst league campaign in over a decade.

The glory of stats, stating the bleeding obvious. My son told me Rice had reasonably good stats in the Denmark game after having one of his worst games of the season, the best indication of a players and teams performance is your own eyes and an unbias mind.

Be carefull mate you will upset the XG worshipers, stats are usefull but XG is gonad*s imo.

Be carefull mate you will upset the XG worshipers, stats are usefull but XG is gonad*s imo.

Stats can be useful but they lack context, factors like opponents, state and size of pitch, physical condition of players, weather and more which all effect performance. To my mind the good thing about stats is that they can identify weaknesses in a player or team.

Stats can be useful but they lack context, factors like opponents, state and size of pitch, physical condition of players, weather and more which all effect performance. To my mind the good thing about stats is that they can identify weaknesses in a player or team.

I do agree, they have their place for sure but should never be taken as the gospel especially those like XG.

How is it that Scotland can make their inevitable early departure and their fans have the best time - and earn the warmest praise - while England lump along through the group stages and conjure up nothing but misery with their turgid, tepid play. It's a wonder more of their fans aren't already being shipped home early. For their own good.

Last edited:
I know it's a nice, considered (and probably pre-planned out) response but fudge me. If you play brick then it should be completely fine for someone to say you played brick. What a stupid question from that reporter. Just trying to get a bitchy 'Kane slags off Legend' response for his headline!

Okay, so England played schit. Like they have for decades. Lineker said England played schit and the reporter referenced Lineker's comment. What exactly is "stupid" about connecting all these soundly established dots and holding a top England player's feet to the fire?

Here, in Norfa Merica, that sort of questioning is pretty routine. Should England's football journos be obligated to toss marshmallow questions to England players when times are tough?

England have been an utter disappointment for decades. Their fans - too often obnoxious, overbearing and outright messy - have been a hardship to endure for many other nations, especially when you see the warm welcomes that have been given to fans of Scotland or Northern Ireland or Denmark/Sweden/Norway in recent tournaments. Yeah, it's absolutely alright to ask hard questions of England players about their play, because the resulting effects it seemingly has on their travelling support are part of the overall discussion.

I've covered three World Cups - '82, '86, and '94 - and the absence of the English fans and their overbearing media was an absolute blessing in '94. No one missed them. Give your head a shake. England are not the welcome presence or the respected participant you might like to think they are. They are more to be endured than enjoyed.

So, if I was asking those questions, I'd be giving it bifters like the bloke who's upset you. Just for fcukin laughs.

When someone as talented as Kane, someone who has consistently delivered under various managers, in various systems and roles, fails to deliver it really shouldn't be hard to ask oneself "maybe that's not on Kane".

Large parts of the English media seems incapable of having a tactical conversation and if things don't go to expectations just blame the biggest players.

I can understand players getting sick of that.

Okay, so England played schit. Like they have for decades. Lineker said England played schit and the reporter referenced Lineker's comment. What exactly is "stupid" about connecting all these soundly established dots and holding a top England player's feet to the fire?

Here, in Norfa Merica, that sort of questioning is pretty routine. Should England's football journos be obligated to toss marshmallow questions to England players when times are tough?

England have been an utter disappointment for decades. Their fans - too often obnoxious, overbearing and outright messy - have been a hardship to endure for many other nations, especially when you see the warm welcomes that have been given to fans of Scotland or Northern Ireland or Denmark/Sweden/Norway in recent tournaments. Yeah, it's absolutely alright to ask hard questions of England players about their play, because the resulting effects it seemingly has on their travelling support are part of the overall discussion.

I've covered three World Cups - '82, '86, and '94 - and the absence of the English fans and their overbearing media was an absolute blessing in '94. No one missed them. Give your head a shake. England are not the welcome presence or the respected participant you might like to think they are. They are more to be endured than enjoyed.

So, if I was asking those questions, I'd be giving it bifters like the bloke who's upset you. Just for fcukin laughs.
No no, I am more than happy for questions about them being brick, definitely need to see more of that, However we all know he phrased it by saying "Lineker (The England legend and all round good guy) said you were brick! So what do you think of that?" and please say something snarky just so we can go with the headline 'Kane slags off Lineker' etc.

Last edited:
Ah yes, whereas our performances by the top class Capello and Eriksen were on a different level? These performances have happened year in, year out for as long as I remember. Maybe just maybe the problem goes way beyond the manager, and I'll start with a lot of our players being over rated. The international game is very different to the hustle and bustle of the Premier league....

Of course the problem goes beyond the manager, that said, having a manager that would never be hired by any Club with real ambitions (lets say CL) in any of the top 3 European leagues is probably not the way to start fixing the problem.

Kane and Bellingham are two elite level players, you have enough top tier (if not elite) around them to make it work, certainly enough not to whimper out against mid level opposition.

Pick the right players (and as other have pointed out/quoted, if Southgate doesn't know who the fudge that is by now, that in itself is a problem), understand the weakest part of this team is defensively, so guess fudging what? don't play defensively. Watch England play, seriously how fudging hard is it to tell the team -> pass to Kane or Bellingham? the amount of time in the last 5 years of watching England, Kane is open for a pass and some idiot thinks they are better off with another option or trying themselves?

When a manager's only consistent attribute is "he's a decent bloke and at least the team gets along under him" you have the wrong guy. Said it before, this outcome was predictable 2 years ago, two fudging years of wasted development time, two more years of the best striker England has produced in decades wasted ..

The Scots go to enjoy themselves, lots of bravado but they realise they are not going to win and make the most of the occasion, English fans are arrogant and driven on by jingoistic media believe they have a right to win, not all behave badly but enough do to make them the pariahs of football. Travelling abroad its virtually always English men I see getting drunk and behaving like animals and they wonder why no one likes us, no self awareness or self respect.

In a years time we will hear from Southgate in some article about how we would have won if we still had Henderson in the side as he was a vital piece of the puzzle

Back