• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Not in this zip code.

It's always been Green Party policy

Brexit was in the 1983 Labour manifesto (7th bullet), and others too

nintchdbpict000319200181.jpg

It used to be Green Party policy a long time back. It is obvious why they changed tack on this from a climate perspective and are pro-EU now.
They were still leave until the mid 2010s. An in-out referendum was in their 2010 manifesto (not 2015 though)

It's always been Green Party policy

Brexit was in the 1983 Labour manifesto (7th bullet), and others too

nintchdbpict000319200181.jpg

How many of those do you think they would have done if they got elected?
Manifesto is what they say to get elected, what they actually do is a whole other matter.
Only recent election pledge I can remember being followed up on is "get Brexit done", and the least said about that the better.

Manifesto is what they say to get elected, what they actually do is a whole other matter.
Only recent election pledge I can remember being followed up on is "get Brexit done", and the least said about that the better.

And in a party like that it’s all flowers and sausages as you’ll never have to deliver it.

He is better then the Conservatives but anyone thinking the will be a drastic change will be disappointed. But with Labour we should get a grown up functioning government which is more then we have had for years.

I think that counts as drastic change.

It’s been so chaotic since 2016 we’ve forgotten what functional government looks like.

We’ve just lurched from one disaster to the next, it’s now so normal we are too desensitized to react.

In Britain, his current position is called ‘Being electable.’ I’ll judge him once he’s in. At the moment he’s playing a game.

More stability and less scandal certainly but I don't expect much to change. They've boxed themselves in on taxes. I mean he even says it himself, stability is change.

More stability and less scandal certainly but I don't expect much to change. They've boxed themselves in on taxes. I mean he even says it himself, stability is change.
Tbf there is no solution.
We need to raise the tax take to pay for 'on their knees' services but the increase in the government debt pile and the escalation in costs of servicing that debt put us between a rock and a hard place.

Labour just need to do what they can and be honest and transparent about it...just that will resonate with people.

Tbf there is no solution.
We need to raise the tax take to pay for 'on their knees' services but the increase in the government debt pile and the escalation in costs of servicing that debt put us between a rock and a hard place.

Labour just need to do what they can and be honest and transparent about it...just that will resonate with people.

I don't think it will resonate, for as long as I can remember governments promise world class public services with US style levels of tax. Actually growing the economy would help but is only a partial solution.

I don't think it will resonate, for as long as I can remember governments promise world class public services with US style levels of tax. Actually growing the economy would help but is only a partial solution.
What I said they should do 'wont resonate'....or what you said they always do 'wont resonate'?

What I said they should do 'wont resonate'....or what you said they always do 'wont resonate'?

Nothing resonates, Lib Dems and Greens both looking to change tax setup but not really registering. Weird in Europe smaller parties can perform well or come from nowhere and succeed but the UK duopoly locks us out unless we move to PR.

You have to look at it against the political backdrop then.
That's pre the Thatcher, Reagan neo liberalism acceleration.
The country was a mess. The 80s, 90s, 00s, up to the 2008/09 financial crash were a boom time, built on unsustainable principles.

Look at the themes:
- Decent pay
- Funding for vital services (see the Care system now)
- Lack of investment and - Unfair competition for foreign competition
(Neo liberalism (Tory and Blair) chose to allow mass foreign investment and not implement EU laws around foreign investment and foreign workers)
- EEC draining natural resources and job (that's really interesting. Would love to understand more about that.)
- The North needs help because we focus on London, aka Northern Development Fund, or Levelling Up.
- NHS staff underpaid, increase pay
- And the easy one; nuclear deterrent. We don't like it. We don't want. We'll get rid of it - when we can....but we never can, because that's how Game Theory works.

A lot of that is still relevant now.
The EEC position is interesting; it's almost like the actions of 1980-2009 created an unsustainable position and then a frog man came along, used the EU as a straw man (instead of pointing towards i. UK Gov decisions (he couldn't, "Rule Britiania"! and ii. The banking sector (don't bite the hand that feeds you) for all the issues, and people fell for it.

He is better then the Conservatives but anyone thinking the will be a drastic change will be disappointed. But with Labour we should get a grown up functioning government which is more then we have had for years.

Yes. Sadly no one is about to give this country the left wing shake up it needs to promote better economic performance and better quality of life.

But he’s at least got more brains then the brain dead neoliberal right. Who would gladly welcome more years of falling earnings for the British person just so they can keep their 100k+ an annum chums onside.

You have to look at it against the political backdrop then.
That's pre the Thatcher, Reagan neo liberalism acceleration.
The country was a mess. The 80s, 90s, 00s, up to the 2008/09 financial crash were a boom time, built on unsustainable principles.

Look at the themes:
- Decent pay
- Funding for vital services (see the Care system now)
- Lack of investment and - Unfair competition for foreign competition
(Neo liberalism (Tory and Blair) chose to allow mass foreign investment and not implement EU laws around foreign investment and foreign workers)
- EEC draining natural resources and job (that's really interesting. Would love to understand more about that.)
- The North needs help because we focus on London, aka Northern Development Fund, or Levelling Up.
- NHS staff underpaid, increase pay
- And the easy one; nuclear deterrent. We don't like it. We don't want. We'll get rid of it - when we can....but we never can, because that's how Game Theory works
A lot of that is still relevant now.
The EEC position is interesting; it's almost like the actions of 1980-2009 created an unsustainable position and then a frog man came along, used the EU as a straw man (instead of pointing towards i. UK Gov decisions (he couldn't, "Rule Britiania"! and ii. The banking sector (don't bite the hand that feeds you) for all the issues, and people fell for it.

The country was a mess and a very good part of that mess was created by the previous Labour government, less than five years before.
So why didn't they put any of those policies in place then?
Why were they not in the labour manifesto for the 1979 election?

Back