• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

Scary news about the person who died on that flight from London to Singapore due to turbulence. I don’t think anyone likes turbulence or doesn’t get uncomfortable when it happens but I’ve always been led to believe that it’s not dangerous to the plane and that pilots aren’t overly worried about it, it’s more about the comfort of the passengers (I’ve even gone into the roosterpit of planes before and spoken to pilots due to fear of flying) but with climate change it’s a bit of a worry that turbulence will likely become more severe and more frequent.
A 73 year old man had a heart attack during an event that many people inexplicably find scary.

I wouldn't worry too much.

A 73 year old man had a heart attack during an event that many people inexplicably find scary.

I wouldn't worry too much.

I don’t think it’s inexplicable, you are strapped into a metal tube miles off the ground with zero control of the vehicle, if enough things go wrong you die.

I don’t think it’s inexplicable, you are strapped into a metal tube miles off the ground with zero control of the vehicle, if enough things go wrong you die.
If enough things go wrong with my gas boiler I die. If enough things go wrong with Waterloo bridge I die, etc. Fear of turbulence is not particularly rational, although I don't think a particularly good job is done in explaining to the general public what turbulence is.

Still, a 73 year old man dying of a heart attack is not particularly noteworthy.

Haven't watched this evening's coverage yet, but have it recorded. But I saw a few bits earlier in the day and it is so moving. These men, so unassuming, and modest about what they did, are absolute heros.

A lot of them very young men too. That generation have proven to be an extremely tough act to follow.

I can't help but cry when I watch these memorial ceremonies, I suppose it's my age, as a child every adult I knew where effected by the war either shot or bombed regularly and lost loved ones. It's easy to forget these people were naive youngsters with little experience of the world outside their neighbourhoods, I had uncles and cousins fight in France, Italy, North Africa, North Atlantic, Netherlands and Far East with uncles dying in Italy, France and POW at Singapore and only one was bitter about their experiences and they rarely spoke of the horrors they saw but of the comradeship they shared. They were our golden generation.

Yep. Universities, soft parenting and social media are to blame.

Ah, if only people remained uneducated and you were legally allowed to beat humans that you have brought in to the world. The glory days!

If another world war came about, folks would hopefully be bright enough to just let the generals / rich folk that started it fight it out rather than sloshing around in the mud murdering each other for who knows why.

Ah, if only people remained uneducated and you were legally allowed to beat humans that you have brought in to the world. The glory days!

If another world war came about, folks would hopefully be bright enough to just let the generals / rich folk that started it fight it out rather than sloshing around in the mud murdering each other for who knows why.

If there is another world war the rich and educated will have enough technology, hangers on and fanatics to do their killing for them, the rest of us will become collateral damage.

I’m not sure how you have made the leap from me saying parents are soft to let’s beat kids. I’ve not advocated for that nor would I. But I do think back to how I was parented along with my friends of a similar age, cousins etc and I can’t help but see the stark contrast to the parenting styles. My parents weren’t particularly strict, but me and my sister knew what was what and we had a healthy fear and respect of them, they never laid a finger on us but we knew where the line was. That didn’t stop us going close to it or sometimes going over it but we knew there would be consequences, they didn’t ask us if we were ready to go, it was typically “we’re going now” followed by “get in the car” if they lost patience with us.. I do think parents today have become too over-protective. Kids don’t really play outside anymore, I was probably the last generation to play outside, we didn’t have mobile phones for our parents to constantly keep in touch or keep track of us and they let us have a certain amount of freedom that kids today don’t have and they’re worse off for it as you need to learn things, what’s safe and sensible and what isn’t.

I do also think universities are to blame to an extent. I’m all for kids getting further education and trying to increase the chances of getting a good job but again I think they over protect the kids at universities. And I’ve heard and read accounts from college professors who feel they have to teach on eggshells through fear of saying something that might upset the class or even just one persons, and most people who work in academia aren’t exactly far right bigots. They’re usually pretty left leaning.

Social media is also a large part of it. I’m on it and addicted like everyone else but I don’t think I’d miss it if it went away but there’s the fear of missing out and everyone else being on it that stops me coming off it completely and I’d imagine many young people would feel the same.

I’m not sure how you have made the leap from me saying parents are soft to let’s beat kids. I’ve not advocated for that nor would I. But I do think back to how I was parented along with my friends of a similar age, cousins etc and I can’t help but see the stark contrast to the parenting styles. My parents weren’t particularly strict, but me and my sister knew what was what and we had a healthy fear and respect of them, they never laid a finger on us but we knew where the line was. That didn’t stop us going close to it or sometimes going over it but we knew there would be consequences, they didn’t ask us if we were ready to go, it was typically “we’re going now” followed by “get in the car” if they lost patience with us.. I do think parents today have become too over-protective. Kids don’t really play outside anymore, I was probably the last generation to play outside, we didn’t have mobile phones for our parents to constantly keep in touch or keep track of us and they let us have a certain amount of freedom that kids today don’t have and they’re worse off for it as you need to learn things, what’s safe and sensible and what isn’t.

I do also think universities are to blame to an extent. I’m all for kids getting further education and trying to increase the chances of getting a good job but again I think they over protect the kids at universities. And I’ve heard and read accounts from college professors who feel they have to teach on eggshells through fear of saying something that might upset the class or even just one persons, and most people who work in academia aren’t exactly far right bigots. They’re usually pretty left leaning.

Social media is also a large part of it. I’m on it and addicted like everyone else but I don’t think I’d miss it if it went away but there’s the fear of missing out and everyone else being on it that stops me coming off it completely and I’d imagine many young people would feel the same.

Some interesting points obviously based on your experience so it's obviously not for me to agree or disagree with for the most part.

I just think the premise from the OP is a tired and lazy one - So let's say the "modern generation" (whoever that is) aren't equipped to go to war, is that actually a bad thing? It's not something anyone should really have to do and I don't think those who actually were brave enough to go through it would wish it on anyone else. Boomers can sit on the Internet and chortle at how bad young folks are suited to warfare having never experienced it themselves but it's fairly meaningless and is loaded with a misplaced / unearned smugness.

Not really sure on the university point still but you're not obligated to expand on it, it does seem an odd angle. And the parenting point, a small difference in strictness of what you've experienced and nowadays is a smaller gap then when it was commonplace to assault your kids for talking back. I prefer the style of parenting / education that isn't enforced by violence and fear, you see some brick parents and see some good..

Some interesting points obviously based on your experience so it's obviously not for me to agree or disagree with for the most part.

I just think the premise from the OP is a tired and lazy one - So let's say the "modern generation" (whoever that is) aren't equipped to go to war, is that actually a bad thing? It's not something anyone should really have to do and I don't think those who actually were brave enough to go through it would wish it on anyone else. Boomers can sit on the Internet and chortle at how bad young folks are suited to warfare having never experienced it themselves but it's fairly meaningless and is loaded with a misplaced / unearned smugness.

Not really sure on the university point still but you're not obligated to expand on it, it does seem an odd angle. And the parenting point, a small difference in strictness of what you've experienced and nowadays is a smaller gap then when it was commonplace to assault your kids for talking back. I prefer the style of parenting / education that isn't enforced by violence and fear, you see some brick parents and see some good..

The OP being me, it was a joke response, the current generation always blames the previous generation for their ills.

The OP being me, it was a joke response, the current generation always blames the previous generation for their ills.

It was a resident Farage wannabe that introduced the idea wasn't it? Marky mentioned the suitably vague "modern generation", I got that your post was tongue in cheek!

It reminds me of an aunt of mine that has pinned the English language being ruined squarely at the feet of the youngsters, as if the language has remained absolutely unchanged for millennia until the current teenagers came along and started calling everything "sick" or "lit". Or the pity party when anyone mentions anything about childhood and the "back in my day we only had...." droning inevitably commences and it all goes a bit Yorkshire Monty Python.

I guess my underlying point is you can commend the bravery / adversity that all soldiers go through (on either side as it's fairly arbitrary) without needing to slag off young people. But as predictably as the sun rises and falls, old people are going to find reasons to yell at young people, or clouds.

It was a resident Farage wannabe that introduced the idea wasn't it? Marky mentioned the suitably vague "modern generation", I got that your post was tongue in cheek!

It reminds me of an aunt of mine that has pinned the English language being ruined squarely at the feet of the youngsters, as if the language has remained absolutely unchanged for millennia until the current teenagers came along and started calling everything "sick" or "lit". Or the pity party when anyone mentions anything about childhood and the "back in my day we only had...." droning inevitably commences and it all goes a bit Yorkshire Monty Python.

I guess my underlying point is you can commend the bravery / adversity that all soldiers go through (on either side as it's fairly arbitrary) without needing to slag off young people. But as predictably as the sun rises and falls, old people are going to find reasons to yell at young people, or clouds.

It's always someone else to blame, it's a human trait. Old blame the young and the young blame the old.
Just as I'm sure there was loads of chancers and slackers back in the day there's loads of great youngsters in the current generation.
We can't sweep everyone up in such wide generalisations.

There was a D-Day Veteran being interviewed on R4 yesterday morning. He was asked, along the lines of, 'do you believe the young people of today would step up in the way your generation did?'. He didn't even pause, just said "yes, I believe they would.'
It was actually quite uplifting to hear him say that and not just write off a whole generation.
Of course there is no direct comparison. The contexts, methods of warfare, political awareness, risk awareness, availability of information these days etc would certainly make it more challenging to muster up an army of volunteers or conscripts, and there is nothing wrong with being able to critically challenge being asked to make such a commitment. But yeah, I think in the face of a real and true threat to the country that people would put themselves forward.

It's always someone else to blame, it's a human trait. Old blame the young and the young blame the old.
Just as I'm sure there was loads of chancers and slackers back in the day there's loads of great youngsters in the current generation.
We can't sweep everyone up in such wide generalisations.
Just part of that human specialty....looking outwards.

Looking inwards is where the real work gets done.

Back