• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

I think the kids are alright. To say that we have failed them is pretty much the biggest understatement in all of human history. The utter clusterfudge we have created for them, and by we I mean my generation, will mean that their lives will never be as good as their parents. In fact their short lives will be about hunger and war, and they will be treated to a front row seat to the collapse of civilisation. So to be honest I think we need to cut them a break.

I agree with the first bit, second bit I think you are underestimating future generations.
Once they realise talking doesn't get you anywhere I can see them stepping up and making a difference.
Like a lot of life at the moment the empty drum makes most noise, while that drum attracts all the attention the real difference makers are quietly going about their business and really changing things.

The latest generation are bequeathed the most information, technology, insight and learning, the best entertainments and facilities.

They will just have to be patient for the wealth, but that is coming their way eventually.

Sorry if that ain’t enough kids. But you’ll do no better.

They will have to wait longer for it, but will have longer to enjoy it.

I agree with the first bit, second bit I think you are underestimating future generations.
Once they realise talking doesn't get you anywhere I can see them stepping up and making a difference.
Like a lot of life at the moment the empty drum makes most noise, while that drum attracts all the attention the real difference makers are quietly going about their business and really changing things.
On the contrary, I think this generation are rising to the occasion in a way we did not. They are standing up and protesting our failures when they are allowed and even when they are not. Our generation partied like there was no tomorrow and bill is coming due to our kids. We've fudged them over big time and this is a guilt I feel every single day. This guilt is at my core and drives my every action.

On a lighter note, I just moved into a house I have been building by myself over the last few years. My every weekend was spent working on it (missing way too many Spurs matches) and though it is not 100% finished it is close enough to done to move in. The satisfaction of sitting in something you've built yourself is hard to put in words.

On the contrary, I think this generation are rising to the occasion in a way we did not. They are standing up and protesting our failures when they are allowed and even when they are not. Our generation partied like there was no tomorrow and bill is coming due to our kids. We've fudged them over big time and this is a guilt I feel every single day. This guilt is at my core and drives my every action.

On a lighter note, I just moved into a house I have been building by myself over the last few years. My every weekend was spent working on it (missing way too many Spurs matches) and though it is not 100% finished it is close enough to done to move in. The satisfaction of sitting in something you've built yourself is hard to put in words.
Must admit being a boring soul I missed the partying.
There were certainly too many that got caught in the IMHO overly positive messages of certain politicians, and I can see very definite parallels with some politicians of the very recent past.

Whilst that may be true, the younger generation still love pigging out on convenience and love materialism just as much as anyone else. That’s clear to see by how many followers the likes of Kylie Jenner has who has entire wardrobes full of stuff she never wears whilst Greta Thunberg has about a a tenth of the amount of followers on social media when it should be the other way round. One sets an example to everyone about how to live, how to limit their carbon footprint, the other takes private jets everywhere she goes. The younger generation also love crypto which is horrible for the environment.

Congrats on the house front. All of us GGers are eagerly awaiting our invitation to the housewarming, is it going to be BYOC?

My uncle built his place away from the hustle and bustle of it all, I have huge respect for anyone who can do real life brick like that. He's got a veranda and a bar and it's an awesome spot, it's a world away from high rise concrete jungle style living.

Interesting one on the guilt you mention mate, I wouldn't imagine you had anything to do with key decisions that have sent us down this path. It's good to be aware of it but not to take on the burden of responsibility (imo).

Whilst that may be true, the younger generation still love pigging out on convenience and love materialism just as much as anyone else. That’s clear to see by how many followers the likes of Kylie Jenner has who has entire wardrobes full of stuff she never wears whilst Greta Thunberg has about a a tenth of the amount of followers on social media when it should be the other way round. One sets an example to everyone about how to live, how to limit their carbon footprint, the other takes private jets everywhere she goes. The younger generation also love crypto which is horrible for the environment.
They do but this is the world we have made for them. Social media is designed to keep them engaged and distracted, and consumerism pretends to fill a need that is not there. We don't need most of the brick we buy and yet still feel compelled to buy it. And though Greta Thunberg should have legions more followers than hollow plastic people like the Jenners, the fact that she has this amount of followers is cause for celebration. It means a large number of people are awake even though the system is designed to silence the Thunbergs and amplify the banal.

“The key element of social control is the strategy of distraction that is to divert public attention from important issues and changes decided by political and economic elites, through the technique of flood or flooding continuous distractions and insignificant information.”

― Noam Chomsky

Last edited:
Congrats on the house front. All of us GGers are eagerly awaiting our invitation to the housewarming, is it going to be BYOC?

My uncle built his place away from the hustle and bustle of it all, I have huge respect for anyone who can do real life brick like that. He's got a veranda and a bar and it's an awesome spot, it's a world away from high rise concrete jungle style living.

Interesting one on the guilt you mention mate, I wouldn't imagine you had anything to do with key decisions that have sent us down this path. It's good to be aware of it but not to take on the burden of responsibility (imo).
Thank you. It was a lifelong dream to build my own home and my path in life gave me the right opportunity and skills to make this happen. I worked long and hard and sunk everything I had into it, but I know too that I was amazingly fortunate to even be in the position to try.

My guilt is more more complicated than the 'carbon footprint' type guilt that Jurgen mentions. Carbon footprint is a term created by the fossil fuel industry to push responsibility for their crimes onto individuals and is part of the most successful propaganda campaign in history. I feel no personal responsibility, but rather a nuanced collective guilt that is hard to put into words. It does however motivate me and directs my life choices.

Last edited:

Damn! Congrats! That sounds awesome! Share pics if you feel like it. I would be beyond proud if I managed to build my own house, but wouldn't know where to start. :)

Thank you. It was a lifelong dream to build my own home and my path in life gave me the right opportunity and skills to make this happen. I worked long and hard and sunk everything I had into it, but I know too that I was amazing fortunate to even be in the position to try.

My guilt is more more complicated than the 'carbon footprint' type guilt that Jurgen mentions. Carbon footprint is a term created by the fossil fuel industry to push responsibility for their crimes onto individuals and is part of the most successful propaganda campaign in history. I feel no personal responsibility, but rather a nuanced collective guilt that is hard to describe in words. It does however motivate me and directs my life choices.

Congrats on the house mate!

Enjoy. I love Thailand! Whereabouts are you going? I’ve been to Bangkok, Koh Samui, Phuket, Koh Phangnan, Chiang Mai and Koh Tao.
Brother in law is a lawyer in Bangkok, so staying there a few days, then we're meeting up with 3 other families for a week in Jomtien and thereabouts. Then we haven't really decided. Will probably visit friends in Udon and going from there to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, before we head down to Krabi or Phuket. I've been pretty much everywhere in Thailand, so not really bothered where we go. We'll just wing it and do what the kids want.

Brother in law is a lawyer in Bangkok, so staying there a few days, then we're meeting up with 3 other families for a week in Jomtien and thereabouts. Then we haven't really decided. Will probably visit friends in Udon and going from there to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, before we head down to Krabi or Phuket. I've been pretty much everywhere in Thailand, so not really bothered where we go. We'll just wing it and do what the kids want.

Damn! Sounds lovely. Enjoy, mate! 😍

Truly Awesome. Did you have someone else design it? I really like the bays and thigh high windows - I presume you have lived in a house with those features before?
Thank you very much. It turned out far better than I anticipated.

There was an architect involved but the front facade had to keep the style of the houses beside it more or less (you can see one there on the right). These were built in the '20s I think and had high ceilings (10ft) etc. So the windows and ceiling heights on mine had to line up with the neighbour's. The real magic is inside though. Loads of bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Back