• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

Some interesting points obviously based on your experience so it's obviously not for me to agree or disagree with for the most part.

I just think the premise from the OP is a tired and lazy one - So let's say the "modern generation" (whoever that is) aren't equipped to go to war, is that actually a bad thing? It's not something anyone should really have to do and I don't think those who actually were brave enough to go through it would wish it on anyone else. Boomers can sit on the Internet and chortle at how bad young folks are suited to warfare having never experienced it themselves but it's fairly meaningless and is loaded with a misplaced / unearned smugness.

Not really sure on the university point still but you're not obligated to expand on it, it does seem an odd angle. And the parenting point, a small difference in strictness of what you've experienced and nowadays is a smaller gap then when it was commonplace to assault your kids for talking back. I prefer the style of parenting / education that isn't enforced by violence and fear, you see some brick parents and see some good..

To be fair I don’t blame the younger generation, I lay the blame at the entities I mentioned before. Also I’ve heard many stories from my parents who both grew up just after WW2 and they came from big families and didn’t have much money, certainly didn’t have luxuries we have today like holidays abroad or even things we take for granted like eating out, my parents said they never ate out, it was something only rich people did. So I do think that kind of upbringing will naturally toughen most people up and give them a bit of resilience. Societies tend to get softer as they grow richer (I know we’ve had peaks and troughs with recessions and cost of living crisis but the general trend since the war was been an upward trajectory in terms of quality of life).

Kids these days IMO don’t have enough freedom, not like when I was younger. They don’t play outside as much as they did when I was a kid. I think a kid needs to explore and go and do their own thing, they’ll learn not to do certain things and to make their own risk assessment. There’s a saying “prepare the child for the road not the road for the child”. Universities in America don’t stand up enough to the students who shout speakers down, pull fire alarms to interrupt guest speakers etc. if you don’t want to go to a lecture from a conservative speaker that’s fine but don’t allow the more vocal students to ruin it for the people who do want to attend. I’ve read and heard accounts from university professors who all say if you threaten to punish students who do it then it will stop but they allow it to happen. I don’t think the people who run these universities are doing themselves any favours or the students when at some point they will have to get jobs and go out into the real world and this sort of behaviour won’t or shouldn’t be indulged.

Social media is also a big factor. If it had been around when I was growing up I honestly don’t know how my parents would have dealt with it.

To be fair I don’t blame the younger generation, I lay the blame at the entities I mentioned before. Also I’ve heard many stories from my parents who both grew up just after WW2 and they came from big families and didn’t have much money, certainly didn’t have luxuries we have today like holidays abroad or even things we take for granted like eating out, my parents said they never ate out, it was something only rich people did. So I do think that kind of upbringing will naturally toughen most people up and give them a bit of resilience. Societies tend to get softer as they grow richer (I know we’ve had peaks and troughs with recessions and cost of living crisis but the general trend since the war was been an upward trajectory in terms of quality of life).

Kids these days IMO don’t have enough freedom, not like when I was younger. They don’t play outside as much as they did when I was a kid. I think a kid needs to explore and go and do their own thing, they’ll learn not to do certain things and to make their own risk assessment. There’s a saying “prepare the child for the road not the road for the child”. Universities in America don’t stand up enough to the students who shout speakers down, pull fire alarms to interrupt guest speakers etc. if you don’t want to go to a lecture from a conservative speaker that’s fine but don’t allow the more vocal students to ruin it for the people who do want to attend. I’ve read and heard accounts from university professors who all say if you threaten to punish students who do it then it will stop but they allow it to happen. I don’t think the people who run these universities are doing themselves any favours or the students when at some point they will have to get jobs and go out into the real world and this sort of behaviour won’t or shouldn’t be indulged.

Social media is also a big factor. If it had been around when I was growing up I honestly don’t know how my parents would have dealt with it.

A Scottish broadsheet newspaper recently ran a story about a large increase in violence in schools towards teachers.
The comments section was full of condemnation until someone pointed out that the chances are that at least some of these kids were probably your kids our their friends.
The uproar was hilarious, oh no, couldn't by my little angels and even if it was it must be the teachers fault.
I laugh my head off at my siblings and friends who moan about their kids, they are your children, they are reflections of how you raised them, don't blame them.

Just to counter it (and I agree by the way)
I did an afternoon helping at my kids school on Wednesday
They need patent helpers to take two classes to an upper school for a taster thing
Every single child was impeccably well mannered and polite
They listened
They asked great questions
They did what was asked
I was kinda stunned
We had to walk to the school and back (10 mins) and during time they did what was asked and helped each other carry stuff
Tow boy were singled out the teacher as problem ones and even they were great
I ended up in chat with the head saying how good they were and how they genuinely were a credit to the school
But for context… middle class area in an affluent town. Diverse group of kids form all backgrounds (the Ukrainian boy now has a great Bedford accent)
And there were 10
They haven’t had the brains all fried with tech, yet….
They do get outdoor play time and are forced to do physical activities

Was fun for me and great to see 61 smiling kids

My best friend died of cancer the other night. I fudging hate cancer! He got the diagnosis about a year ago, then the hospital fudged up by not having surgery immediately, because he had severe inflammation, so they wanted that to be gone before surgery. Then they did nothing for a couple of months, and when they opened him up, it was too late.

The last month or so, he's just been shell of the man he used to be. Incredible difficult to watch the rapid decline, and in the latter stages, the at least partial loss of communication. Very sad indeed. Just 60 years old.

But i'm happy he's not suffering anymore, and that he passed away before we, and most of our gang go away on holiday next week. Almost everyone of his friends, including us, are going to Thailand next week. He also loved it there, and has travelled there at least 30 times. It will be a trip there in his remembrance.

RIP my friend!

My best friend died of cancer the other night. I fudging hate cancer! He got the diagnosis about a year ago, then the hospital fudged up by not having surgery immediately, because he had severe inflammation, so they wanted that to be gone before surgery. Then they did nothing for a couple of months, and when they opened him up, it was too late.

The last month or so, he's just been shell of the man he used to be. Incredible difficult to watch the rapid decline, and in the latter stages, the at least partial loss of communication. Very sad indeed. Just 60 years old.

But i'm happy he's not suffering anymore, and that he passed away before we, and most of our gang go away on holiday next week. Almost everyone of his friends, including us, are going to Thailand next week. He also loved it there, and has travelled there at least 30 times. It will be a trip there in his remembrance.

RIP my friend!
I'm very sorry for your loss.
It is horrible to watch someone's decline and know it can't be halted.
RIP your friend.
x

Just to counter it (and I agree by the way)
I did an afternoon helping at my kids school on Wednesday
They need patent helpers to take two classes to an upper school for a taster thing
Every single child was impeccably well mannered and polite
They listened
They asked great questions
They did what was asked
I was kinda stunned
We had to walk to the school and back (10 mins) and during time they did what was asked and helped each other carry stuff
Tow boy were singled out the teacher as problem ones and even they were great
I ended up in chat with the head saying how good they were and how they genuinely were a credit to the school
But for context… middle class area in an affluent town. Diverse group of kids form all backgrounds (the Ukrainian boy now has a great Bedford accent)
And there were 10
They haven’t had the brains all fried with tech, yet….
They do get outdoor play time and are forced to do physical activities

Was fun for me and great to see 61 smiling kids

Kids react to their environment, treat them well, engage with them and interact with them on their level it's an enjoyable experience all round.
Ignore them because you too busy chasing after crap (parents) or because your workload is unrealistic with the resources (teachers) then expect problems.

RIP my friend!
Thoughts are with you, cancer is a total life wrecker.

RIP my friend!
That sucks so bad especially the medical rooster-up
The trip next week will be a time to reflect and also a time to celebrate his life and what a place to do it in
Cancer is one of the worst things out there
I have lost my grandparents to Cancer

Yeah, cancer really sucks! In the last 3 years I've lost 4 other friends to cancer. All below the age of 45. If the world spent what we do on guns and weapons on cancer research instead, I think we'd solve it within a couple of years!

RIP my friend!

Sorry for your loss. My dad was the same age when cancer got the better of him. Hope you can enjoy yourself in Thailand and have a few drinks in honour of your friend.

Yeah, cancer really sucks! In the last 3 years I've lost 4 other friends to cancer. All below the age of 45. If the world spent what we do on guns and weapons on cancer research instead, I think we'd solve it within a couple of years!
I remember when you said about your mate last year
Sorry for you loss
It’s brick

Wow that’s just brick

The term cancer covers hundreds of different diseases, and fortunately we're making massive progress in detecting, preventing, curing and eradicating many of them.

If we're talking about social media having a negative effect on society for those who can't use it responsibly I'd agree, but not that it would make the current young generation less brave / ready to answer the call in some kind of life or death world war situation which I think was the original point. If anything it gets people fired up and more radicalized...

The university thing, it sounds like one Bill Maher rabbit hole too far to be honest - So a couple of people have stopped some controversial speakers, I'm not sure how that ties in to the war thing and I'm not sure I really want to get in to it on the faux outrage at "attacks on free speech" by edgy figures telling you they've been cancelled on social media / their 8th Netflix special in the last 2 years. If I met someone who canned an Andrew Tate seminar I'd shake their hand as they would have stopped someone earning money by spreading hatred / misogyny, it's situational as if someone sabotaged a seminar about universal healthcare, LGBT rights, climate change or the fight for accommodation + food to be a basic human right than I'd have an issue with that person but some people find those ideas as offensive as bigotry / denying people living the way they want to live for some reason. Obviously I'm cherry picking those examples, maybe it's hypocritical, I'm not sure.

I guess I'll wheel back to my original reposte, maybe it's a good thing that the current generation wouldn't just go and kill each other because they were firmly asked to do so, that's not really a good trait and leads to many people who should have lived happy healthy lives dying needlessly*. If it was some kind of alien invasion independence day (the film) style call to arms to defend the human race than that's obviously a different situation but possibly a tangent too far.

*I'm not intending to imply that the heroes of D-day needlessly sacrificed their lives or that it is wasn't necessary / important, more just emphasizing the futility of war.

Last edited:
I think the kids are alright. To say that we have failed them is pretty much the biggest understatement in all of human history. The utter clusterfudge we have created for them, and by we I mean my generation, will mean that their lives will never be as good as their parents. In fact their short lives will be about hunger and war, and they will be treated to a front row seat to the collapse of civilisation. So to be honest I think we need to cut them a break.

RIP my friend!
Very sorry for your loss.

fudging hell, so young. Sorry for your losses! Cancer is a fudging bitch. :(

The latest generation are bequeathed the most information, technology, insight and learning, the best entertainments and facilities.

They will just have to be patient for the wealth, but that is coming their way eventually.

Sorry if that ain’t enough kids. But you’ll do no better.

Back