• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

Just like Caulker he's very likey to opt to leave in favour of a club interested in playing him.

Other than the run of EL games Harry gave him, we've shown very little interest in him.

What do you mean we've shown little interest in him?

I think he will do well for Swansea... a club suited to his style and vice versa for that matter.

Just like Caulker he's very likey to opt to leave in favour of a club interested in playing him.

Other than the run of EL games Harry gave him, we've shown very little interest in him.

Just like Caulker that returned from his loan at Swansea where he was essentially playing every game willing to fight for a place at Spurs and was sold a year later after failing to secure a regular starting spot?

Caulker, Townsend, Naughton and Walker have all spent a lot of time out on loan and all have returned to the club willing to play for us. I don't see why it would be any different with Carroll. I don't see why he would prefer Swansea over us if we tell him he will be given game time 12 months from now.

The fact that the club is putting effort into getting him loans like this one shows that the club has a lot of interest in him.

ROBIN van Persie raised eyebrows this week when he suggested the Britannia Stadium was his favourite away ground.

There are plenty of visiting sides who have found a trip to the Potteries a bit of a struggle, after all, since Stoke City climbed into the Premier League six years ago.

In truth, were he to be given a choice, Tom Carroll would probably not pick Stoke as the place to make his first top-flight start, what with the vociferous crowd and the rugged midfield.

Plenty more experienced Swansea City players than Carroll have struggled to make an impact at the Brit since they joined Stoke in the top flight in 2011.

But Garry Monk reckons the 22-year-old, who he likens to a young Joe Allen, has the quality and character to cope should he be pitched into the fray in Staffordshire tomorrow.

With Jonjo Shelvey suspended and Leon Britton injured, there is a vacancy to fill in Swansea's midfield.

Monk has floated Jay Fulton as a serious candidate to play, but the smart money is on Carroll getting a chance.

And the Swansea manager is convinced that although Carroll is raw at the top level, he has the talent to thrive.

"You could say Stoke away is one of the hardest places you could pick to make your full debut," Monk says.

"But if you look at it the other way, it could be one of the best if you go and get it right.

"Stoke is always a difficult place to go, and our record there isn't great.

"But Tom has experience of first-team football, and he is a clever player. Watching him reminds me very much of when Joe was coming through.

"He has that build, and he tries to play football the same way.

"He is No. 8, someone who can get forward and attack but can also take the ball off the back four and do a job in defensive areas.

"Football-wise, technically, he is one of the best players we have.

"He needs work, but he reminds me very much of Joe."

If Carroll can follow in Allen's footsteps, then Swansea — not to mention parent-club Tottenham Hotspur — will be delighted.

Shelvey, Britton and Ki Sung-Yueng are Swansea's three senior options at the base of midfield, with Carroll and Fulton battling it out to be fourth in line as things stand.

If he is picked, Carroll's challenge tomorrow is to stake his claim to remain in the side when Shelvey returns from suspension for the game against Leicester City a week today.

"It's a big responsibility playing in midfield for Swansea," Monk points out.

"You have to be very clever with the ball, but also without it. It's very complex the way we do things.

"The easiest thing to do is to lump it up to the frontman and try to put the pressure on the opposition. Anyone can do that, but we try to do things a different way."

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-boss-Garry-Monk-Tom-Carroll-reminds/story-23249538-detail/story.html

He did well yesterday until he came off. Looked bright and used it well. Another player who could do as good a job for us as some of the 'respected' internationals that litter our squad

technically good but he always strikes me as less energetic than average - seems to just happily cruise on one speed.

in short i thought he looked OK, don't think he stood out at all either ways, but i think he was

technically good but he always strikes me as less energetic than average - seems to just happily cruise on one speed.

in short i thought he looked OK, don't think he stood out at all either ways, but i think he was

Didn't watch his game for Swansea, but wasn't it said around the time that he first got game time for us that the only senior player with more stamina than him was Jake Livermore or something like that?

Didn't know about that about that and I wouldn't have guessed it too. You could say he looked like a smaller lighter version of capoue, but without the tackling ...then again he was up against charlie Adam, who I thought had too much free space.

Didn't know about that about that and I wouldn't have guessed it too. You could say he looked like a smaller lighter version of capoue, but without the tackling ...then again he was up against charlie Adam, who I thought had too much free space.

Often doesn't look like that with the deeper playmaker types. Even when Xavi outran (in terms of distance covered) everyone on the pitch regularly it didn't really look like it unless you were specifically looking for it. I think the same was true with Pirlo. It's the constantly moving, but rarely outright sprinting large distances I think.

Thought he did alright the other day. Ki was the more dominant of the pair, but Carroll gradually grew into the game. He was always looking forwards, trying to pick out a pass.

Anyone know for sure one way or the other if we'll have the chance to recall him in January?

I think I've seen in the past that players on season long loans between PL clubs can't be recalled, but this was a year or two back iirc. Not sure if this still applies or not.

Anyone know for sure one way or the other if we'll have the chance to recall him in January?

I think I've seen in the past that players on season long loans between PL clubs can't be recalled, but this was a year or two back iirc. Not sure if this still applies or not.

no idea, but personally see no point in recalling him now (unless he's not getting games)

no idea, but personally see no point in recalling him now (unless he's not getting games)

He's not getting tons of game time at Swansea.

Had he been around I think it could have been very useful to rotate him with Mason in our recent run of congested games. Not as much of a goalscorer as Paulinho, but in terms of pass and move he's acres ahead and would be a good impact player like he showed signs of being under AVB.

Not the perfect option, another young player lacking experience. But a better passer than Dembele and Paulinho and thus more natural competition for Mason and Bentaleb when we want passers in midfield. Cheaper than most transfer targets with PL experience at least and money will most likely be an issue again in January.

He's not getting tons of game time at Swansea.

Had he been around I think it could have been very useful to rotate him with Mason in our recent run of congested games. Not as much of a goalscorer as Paulinho, but in terms of pass and move he's acres ahead and would be a good impact player like he showed signs of being under AVB.

Not the perfect option, another young player lacking experience. But a better passer than Dembele and Paulinho and thus more natural competition for Mason and Bentaleb when we want passers in midfield. Cheaper than most transfer targets with PL experience at least and money will most likely be an issue again in January.

that looks to me to be a sensible option.... So clearly something we won't do

I love to see all three start a game for us in the league just to see how it works

Mason and Bentelab have palyed a lot together in the youth etc... And it shows

I'd prefer Holtby back.

He has the physical side to his game (alongside his passing) that Bentaleb and Mason do, but Carroll doesn't.

I'd prefer Holtby back.

He has the physical side to his game (alongside his passing) that Bentaleb and Mason do, but Carroll doesn't.

It's hard to believe Holtby would be less effective than our current creative 3.....really think we are missing a trick with him.

Yes Holtby has high energy, can pass the ball and is forward thinking - was surprised he was loaned out.

Carroll, Im not so sold on. Not stupid enough to write him off but to me he didnt have as much of an 'x factor', I got more of that feeling when I saw Bentaleb and Mason burst onto the scene but not with him. He's not really playing much for Swansea either, but wouldn't mind seeing how he does with Poch I just wouldnt have high hopes for him...

I wonder about him as an option in the Mason role. A better option than Paulinho

Apart from one EL game Holtby looked out of place in the Mason role. Didn't look like he had the discipline and or mobility to play that deep effectively in the Premier League.

Carroll on the other hand has played that role for Swansea I believe, and for QPR in the Championship last season. The step up to our team might not be as great as we imagine seeing as Mason stepped up from League one to us. Like Carroll he's fairly mobile and seems to have a lot of stamina.

Back