• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

A sale price was agreed as part of the loan (which isn't uncommon), but you'd imagine it would still need all 3 parties to ratify it.

I thought that it had gone further than this and that they asked to make the deal permanent shortly after he joined them on loan.

I thought that it had gone further than this and that they asked to make the deal permanent shortly after he joined them on loan.

I've just been looking. The OS said "a one-year loan with a view to a permanent transfer"

ESPN summarise German reports as:
Holtby, 24, joined Hamburg on loan at the end of the summer transfer window, and a purchase clause was inserted which guaranteed the Bundesliga club would buy him outright once he made a specified number of appearances. That clause has kicked in after Holtby's first three appearances for his new side. Reports in both Bild and kicker claim Hamburg were unable to afford to buy the former Schalke player outright on deadline day, which led to the additional clause committing the club to sign him later in the season. Hamburg are to pay a transfer fee of around €6.5 million for the Germany international, kicker reported, on a contract until the summer of 2018. The deal will officially be rubber-stamped once the transfer window re-opens in January

You see, I see Carroll as nothing more than a leon britton type. He will most likely play championship football majority of his career, or end up at a club flirting between Prem and championship every season.

You see, I see Carroll as nothing more than a leon britton type. He will most likely play championship football majority of his career, or end up at a club flirting between Prem and championship every season.

If he's a bit part reserve in this Swansea team at 23, nothing to make us optimistic he is a solution to our problems...

Slated by many short sighted fans at the start of the season. Quality was evident from the off.

He IS excellent.

He was superb up in Emirates Marketing Project too, he was my MotM. For some reason I always think he is lightweight and get concerned when i see him on the starting team sheet. But the boy always eases those fears almost instantly.

If we can sign him then we must.

Nice tidy, technical player with bags of energy and quite reminiscent of Joe Allen. I like him - he seems very reliable.

Read the other day that he'd been captain of the England U21s. He would be a great buy if we could get him for under 5m and I wonder whether Spurs might take that if we offered it to them in January.
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/133521/tom-carroll/#12

Seems the Swansea fans rate him quite highly now. Thoughts? I'd be happy for him to stay there for the rest of the reason and then return to become one of our deep-lying playmaker options, one of the deep midfield 'five' alongside Bentaleb, Stambouli, Mason and either Paulinho/Dembele or a new option.

I want him given a chance in the league for us before we consider selling him - either recalled from his loan this season or given next season as a rotation option

If he's a bit part reserve in this Swansea team at 23, nothing to make us optimistic he is a solution to our problems...

Well, he's 22. Essentially exactly the same age as Mason was when he was on loan in League One last season. Similar physical build too, makes sense that these players take a bit longer to progress to regular PL football.

Also he's on loan at Swansea, makes sense for Monk to prioritize their own players like Shelvey and Ki over someone on loan. Actually Swansea have more "passers" in midfield than we have imo.

I want him given a chance in the league for us before we consider selling him - either recalled from his loan this season or given next season as a rotation option

Agreed. Of Course if Poch thinks differently that's fair enough, certainly he can't be faulted for not giving young players a chance. But I think he could do a job for us for sure.

Well, he's 22. Essentially exactly the same age as Mason was when he was on loan in League One last season. Similar physical build too, makes sense that these players take a bit longer to progress to regular PL football.

The comparison to Mason is odious. The main reason Mason didn;t get into the team was because of his perennial injuries.

Also he's on loan at Swansea, makes sense for Monk to prioritize their own players like Shelvey and Ki over someone on loan. Actually Swansea have more "passers" in midfield than we have imo.

If that was the case why did we send him out on loan then?? It would have made more sense to keep him until Christmas, involve him heavily in the Europa and League Cup - he would have played much more than he has; then we could loan him out in January, possibly to a PL team who are struggling and therefore more likely to play him

From what I have seen of Paulinho and Tom Carroll, I see no reason why Carroll couldn't be a squad player for us in his place. I'm sure Paulinho would be glad to move on and re-start his career, and I think Carroll would be glad of a squad place at a top 6 club, particularly one where he came through the academy.

I'd look to bring him and Pritchard back, maybe at the end of the season, and keep hold of the likes of Townsend too. As squad players, I think it's better we use more of our academy lads -- infact, as first teamers they are doing well at the minute! (Kane, Bentaleb, Mason).

I'm not 100% sure what I think we will do with him. I mean we have 2 young homegrown players in that group of deep midfielders + Stambouli. I think most people here would like to see us go for someone with genuine class right now and if that does in fact happen then there really won't be any room for Carroll in the squad. Right now he needs to force himself into Swansea's starting lineup and stay there if he's gonna convince Poch to keep faith with him.

The comparison to Mason is odious. The main reason Mason didn;t get into the team was because of his perennial injuries.

Injuries or not he was still sent out on loan to League One last season after just about not even getting onto the pitch the season before that when out on loan in France.

I don't think he was in or around the first team in preseason games either from what I remember.

Injuries probably delayed his development into a first team player, but it wasn't like he was just about to break through as a first team Spurs player at any point in the past from what I can remember at least. Although, like Carroll, he was highly rated going by reports.

If that was the case why did we send him out on loan then?? It would have made more sense to keep him until Christmas, involve him heavily in the Europa and League Cup - he would have played much more than he has; then we could loan him out in January, possibly to a PL team who are struggling and therefore more likely to play him

Because we felt he was closer to getting games there than with us. Perhaps we expected more from Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele. Or perhaps we at least felt they deserved the chance to show themselves under the new head coach? Or perhaps we thought that Carroll would show his class at Swansea and get into their team even though it makes sense for them to prioritize their own, like we've seen with other players out on loan in the past.

I really don't get the question. It's a pretty standard consideration for clubs to prioritize their own developing players if possible, doesn't mean we shouldn't send players out on loan...

I really don't get the question. It's a pretty standard consideration for clubs to prioritize their own developing players if possible, doesn't mean we shouldn't send players out on loan...

The question is pretty simple, at least in my mind. Why send him to Swansea when they already have several players in their midfield who are established and play in his position?? It was quite obvious he would be a bit part player - in which case we could offer him more parts than Swansea with all our committments. I don't think it was the best thought out loan move IMHO but that's just my thinking...

We're stacked for numbers in his position - 'big' signings who we need to give a chance to prove whether or not they are good enough. At Swansea he would (and has) got more first team opportunities and been higher up the pecking order in a team which has a good record with technical ball playing midfielders - loans aren't purely about first team appearences and he'll learn a lot from being as involved as he looks to be with the first team squad of good Premiership side.

Watching Swansea v tranmere Carroll is running the show I can't believe that he doesn't have a future for us. With mason injured and Bentaleb going to acon shame he is on loan as I think he could have gotten a run of games

Watching Swansea v tranmere Carroll is running the show I can't believe that he doesn't have a future for us. With mason injured and Bentaleb going to acon shame he is on loan as I think he could have gotten a run of games

There was no one running that show today. Complete mess of a game. Having seen him a number of times for Swansea this season Carroll is still the exact same player. Maybe he will come on a bit towards the end of the season. The problem all season with him is that his teammates don't trust him with the ball. He'll be in a position to receive the ball but wont be passed to if there is a player anywhere near him for fear of him being outmuscled. I have he can fit in pochs system he has all the quick tempo short passing skills but is very limited in offering the defensive support than both Mason and Bentaleb are able to do. I know someone will say play someone beside him to do his tackling for him but I think that isnt enough for Pochs current system.

Back