• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tom Carroll

Derby fans didn't especially rate him - the emergence of Will Hughes overshadowed his loan spell there

Mind you, Mason struggled at Doncaster

I am not writing him off on the basis of his loan move. I just wonder whether he is better suited to playing deeper where there are more passes on for him.

I am not writing him off on the basis of his loan move. I just wonder whether he is better suited to playing deeper where there are more passes on for him.

Deeper for me. I don't think he scores enough goals to ever become a regular starter as an attacking midfielder/number 10 at our level.

On the ball playing deeper suits him better with his extraordinary pass completion, movement, wanting the ball, consistency. Of course the worry is that he's too lightweight defensively, but I think that's easier to compensate for that for a lack of goals.

Of the two deeper positions in midfield we have right now I would say he probably can play either. But right now him and Mason together is probably too light. Alongside Bentaleb I think he can play the role with more freedom to get forward. Alongside someone like Dembele I think he can play the role where he sits back most of the time.

Deeper for me. I don't think he scores enough goals to ever become a regular starter as an attacking midfielder/number 10 at our level.

On the ball playing deeper suits him better with his extraordinary pass completion, movement, wanting the ball, consistency. Of course the worry is that he's too lightweight defensively, but I think that's easier to compensate for that for a lack of goals.

Of the two deeper positions in midfield we have right now I would say he probably can play either. But right now him and Mason together is probably too light. Alongside Bentaleb I think he can play the role with more freedom to get forward. Alongside someone like Dembele I think he can play the role where he sits back most of the time.

Do you know he started out as a CF?

He's actually highest scorer in our youth team history, having scored 56 in 28 (and those numbers aren't the wrong way round)

Do you know he started out as a CF?

He's actually highest scorer in our youth team history, having scored 56 in 28 (and those numbers aren't the wrong way round)

Didn't know that...

Took his goal really well yesterday that's for sure. But just never seen him be at threat from range the way Mason for example has.

shirking challenges, not brave enough to play forward and when the chips are down im not sure you can rely on him. bentaleb and mason have that 'fight' as they have shown

Strange, I was at the Britannia midweek a few seasons ago, to watch a horrible league cup tie under Harry (Massimo Luongo coming on and missing the decisive pen in the shootout!).
Carroll played the entire game, and whilst looking an absolute midget against Stokes's enormous midfield 3 of bruising giants, he certainly didn't shirk a thing. He was stuck-in throughout and stood out for me (and the surrounding crowd) as absolute class -once he had 'won the right to play'.
Surprised you've called him a shirker - I can only guess its crept into his game since as it certainly wasn't there when he was younger anyway.

I've watched a lot of Carroll and have not seen him as someone who shirks a tackle. He has that Modric like small stature but willing to put himself about with it quality.

I've watched a lot of Carroll and have not seen him as someone who shirks a tackle. He has that Modric like small stature but willing to put himself about with it quality.

Yep his defensive stats are solid and his major issue is he needs the right sort of partner next to him. End of the day he would bring far more to our team/squad than Paul and capoue and possibly even dembele in poch's system.

If schneiderlin is the aim and Paul and capoue are on their way, then I think he could make up a nice midfield squad.

Strange, I was at the Britannia midweek a few seasons ago, to watch a horrible league cup tie under Harry (Massimo Luongo coming on and missing the decisive pen in the shootout!).
Carroll played the entire game, and whilst looking an absolute midget against Stokes's enormous midfield 3 of bruising giants, he certainly didn't shirk a thing. He was stuck-in throughout and stood out for me (and the surrounding crowd) as absolute class -once he had 'won the right to play'.
Surprised you've called him a shirker - I can only guess its crept into his game since as it certainly wasn't there when he was younger anyway.

I wonder if it's more just an issue of perception rather than something that's crept into his game as only one poster has claimed it's there at all.

As some article said. Ki is away on international duty, Shelvey is suspended. Carroll did well in the cup and is expected to get starts alongside Britton behind Sigurdsson. Will be some more chances to play, if he's actually a shirker it should show pretty clearly. And, I'm guessing, he'll be right out of the team again.

Started against West Ham today, and, evidently, received almost unanimous acclaim....

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/135632/tom-carroll/#13

Sign him now!

Played very well today. Typical Swansea style player for me.

The most Joe Allen performance I've seen since Joe Allen. I like this kid.

I thought carroll was excellent today, whenever we had a period of prolonged possession, he was running the show, he was very unlucky with a couple of through balls that didn't quite make it, much busier and energetic than Shelvey.

Definitely - positive, footballing intelligence, always looking for the ball

v much a "Leon" - with a cultured left foot and an eye for the killer pass

And, no offence to any of our players present and past, more eager to make progress down the pitch. Classy player and personally I'd love us to sign him.

players had a lot to live up to today, stepping into the shoes of 2 of our best players of the season - Carroll taking up the midfield dynamo role from Ki and Gomis picking up the weighty gauntlet left behind by Wilf. Both delivered, big time.

Carroll has shown glimpses of his natural class before, but has often seemed to play within himself a bit, playing very safe. Today, you could tell he just thought, 'f*ck it, I'm just going to go for it and play my game'. He was much more involved that he usually is, demanding the ball, taking responsibility for making us tick, being that link between Leon, the defence and Gylfi, Bafe and the wingers.

Showed a great range of passing, great positioning and admirable technique. I was very very impressed with him today. Not perfect of course, but taken in the context of the game (the opposition/lacking a couple of star players), it was very promising. I wouldn't hesitate in signing him permanently.

Monk needs to sit him down and say this is the place for him to really get a run and develop

Thought this guy was awful earlier in the season. Struggled to see how he could figure really but he has turned full circle quickly and looks such a Swansea type player now.

Depends what he and Spurs want to happen. He may well want to go back and fight for his place, if they want him. If not, I'd snap him up sharpish.

Well, what does GG think? The problem I see is that if he does return next season, he'll be in direct competition with Mason. Not a big problem by any means (number of games we're likely to play), but a conundrum nonetheless given Mason's rise.

From what I could gather, he played alongside Britton in a deep-lying midfield role, the spot Ki usually occupies. Hence, he'd probably be competing with Mason, not Eriksen.

That's where I've seen him play of late

He has been sued in the last as a sub for Siggy but still played more withdrawn as they kind of went 4-3-3

I'd love a central midfield that's all homegrown

shirking challenges, not brave enough to play forward and when the chips are down im not sure you can rely on him. bentaleb and mason have that 'fight' as they have shown
Not meaning to call you out but... Haven't you always been critical of Carroll and a lot of our youth players in general in the youth and loans thread? Might your judgement be clouded by trying to be proven correct? The Swansea fans love him for instance and they're a decent mid to top half prem club, not a bad achievement to be a starter at that level.

Back