• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group D - Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Which two teams will progress from the group?

• Uruguay and England

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Uruguay and Italy

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Uruguay and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England and Italy

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • England and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy and Costa Rica

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem is the FA. Their safe bet is anything but.

Oh for an English Klinsmann, someone with a hint of charisma, experience, tactical nous, proven man management ability, healthy self interest.

Clough didn't get a look in! He wanted to sort the FA out 30 years back.

We are yet to come to terms with the professional era. It's all gentlemanly conduct in committee rooms and guts and glory out in the parks.

Uruguay took the game from us, we should ape the likes of Suarez and encourage that from day 1.

We can no longer fight the tide the world has moved on from our departed victorian values.

I think that there is an issue with youth development in this country and we do need to commit more money to grass roots football but we should be careful not to over react to one result. We were not that bad tonight and were beaten by a world class player. Before the tournament, most of our expectations were low. This is a young squad and our priority for this tournament should always have been on development. All that said, we can still go through and there are better teams than us (who have far better youth sets ups ) already out of the tournament.

This is the second successive abject display in the World Cup finals. England hardly lit up the Euros either.

One win in 6: won 1, drawn 2, lost 3. F5 A9. How long does the PL retain it's cachet when the team England fields is regularly exposed in a tournament setting?

Woy was never the man for the job. Cowardly, cosy appointment, a perfect example of papering over the cracks.

what annoys me is that we never seem to develop, how many bright young things actually go on to become bright established experienced things, if anything its the reverse, players regress once they get called up for england

England managers since 1996

Hoddle FAIL
Keegan FAIL
Erikson FAIL
McClaren FAIL
Capello FAIL
Hodgson FAIL

Next ...

Which for me suggests there may be something wrong with England. I am not just over reacting to tonight's result. I mean the other night we lost it because Pirlo was the difference tonight we lost it because Suarez was the difference. In all honesty I didn't feel we did enough to win either game.

Which for me suggests there may be something wrong with England. I am not just over reacting to tonight's result. I mean the other night we lost it because Pirlo was the difference tonight we lost it because Suarez was the difference. In all honesty I didn't feel we did enough to win either game.

For England read FA.

Hoddle FAIL
Keegan FAIL
Erikson FAIL
McClaren FAIL
Capello FAIL
Hodgson FAIL

Next ...

The players aren't good enough to justify the high expectations.

FA more worried about their poster boys and big sponsorship deals that they're just wasting anyway than doing something at grassroots level.

I think we dominated today and worthy of a draw against Italy. The difference today was down to finishing really. I think in both games we were too nice though, not enough intensity not enough c.unts for the want of a better word. We do need that. People call Suarez a **** but sometimes you need to be a **** be it in business or out there on the pitch.

Hoddle FAIL
Keegan FAIL
Erikson FAIL
McClaren FAIL
Capello FAIL
Hodgson FAIL

Next ...

Hoddle: sacked for non football reasons.
Keegan: flavour of the Month. Weak in many areas.
Eriksson: mercenary
McLaren: the ultimate "safe" choice.
Capello: mucho mercenary.
Hodgson: another beige, "safe" choice.

Thing is mate the premier league wield too much power and the FA are a weak bunch of cnuts Too many foreign owners many of whom couldn't give a toss about football let alone England.

premier league has been great for the national team imo. the development of the golden generation and worldclass players such as beckham, owen, rooney, lampard, rio, terry, cole, neville, scholes, gerrard, etc etc has coincided with the growth of the premier league. and i think these two things are directly correlated. in no other era has england had so many global superstars. unfortunately, they just havent been able to play together.

Clough didn't get a look in! He wanted to sort the FA out 30 years back.

We are yet to come to terms with the professional era. It's all gentlemanly conduct in committee rooms and guts and glory out in the parks.

Uruguay took the game from us, we should ape the likes of Suarez and encourage that from day 1.

We can no longer fight the tide the world has moved on from our departed victorian values.

offcourse your 100% spot on...but this is England.I cant see it changing...the ordinary man has no more say
in football than they have in Politics...

whoops.......... gone off the subject LOL..

although our Danny Blanchflower once said that football reflects the society its played in.....or something along those lines!

premier league has been great for the national team imo. the development of the golden generation and worldclass players such as beckham, owen, rooney, lampard, rio, terry, cole, neville, scholes, gerrard, etc etc has coincided with the growth of the premier league. and i think these two things are directly correlated. in no other era has england had so many global superstars. unfortunately, they just havent been able to play together.

Results wise, your theory breaks down somewhat:

1986: QF
1990: SF
1994: DNQ
1998: last 16
2002: QF
2006: QF
2010: last 16
2014: Group

The Premier League launched in 1992?

To quote an old cliche though put 11 very good players together does not make a great team. Pl has created a silo mentality in my opinion, with club being greater than country. The riches of the pl means that we have created a "win at all costs now" mentality creating great athletes rather than developing gifted players or systems. There is very little commitment to the national side. Amongst those players you named who was truly gifted like a Hoddle or a Gascogne. Rooney perhaps at the start of his career but he seems to have gone the way of the others.

Last edited:
Results wise, your theory breaks down somewhat:

1986: QF
1990: SF
1994: DNQ
1998: last 16
2002: QF
2006: QF
2010: last 16
2014: Group

The Premier League launched in 1992?

not really, we were very lucky in 86 and 90 to have one, then two, once in a century players, if we had lineker and gazza at their peak now we'd cruise into the semi's at least

offcourse your 100% spot on...but this is England.I cant see it changing...the ordinary man has no more say
in football than they have in Politics...

whoops.......... gone off the subject LOL..

although our Danny Blanchflower once said that football reflects the society its played in.....or something along those lines!

The premier league does but all the home nations associations hamstring themselves with a devotion to playing the game in the corinthian spirit. It can never win out.

Actually for me the only truly gifted player England have had since the start of the Pl, who IMO could rub shoulders with Gascogne and Hoddle was Paul Scholes.

not really, we were very lucky in 86 and 90 to have one, then two, once in a century players, if we had lineker and gazza at their peak now we'd cruise into the semi's at least

Do Germany, Italy, Brazil et al have a conveyor belt of once in a century players?

Do Germany, Italy, Brazil et al have a conveyor belt of once in a century players?
Better youth coaching most likely. I know in most European countries, they don't have kids play on 11-a-side-pitches until they're about 16 or something similar. I mean you get kids playing 11-a-side matches at age 11 and ****. All that does is teach hoofball in my opinion. Smaller pitches, better philosophy.

Back