• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group D - Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Which two teams will progress from the group?

• Uruguay and England

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Uruguay and Italy

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Uruguay and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England and Italy

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • England and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy and Costa Rica

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Euro 96 squad :

1GKDavid Seaman19 September 1963 (aged 32)24 Arsenal
2DFGary Neville18 February 1975 (aged 21)10 Manchester United
3DFStuart Pearce24 April 1962 (aged 34)65 Nottingham Forest
4MFPaul Ince21 October 1967 (aged 28)19 Internazionale
5DFTony Adams (Captain)10 October 1966 (aged 29)40 Arsenal
6DFGareth Southgate3 September 1970 (aged 25)4 Aston Villa
7MFDavid Platt10 June 1966 (aged 29)58 Arsenal
8MFPaul Gascoigne27 May 1967 (aged 29)38 Rangers
9FWAlan Shearer13 August 1970 (aged 25)23 Blackburn Rovers
10FWTeddy Sheringham2 April 1966 (aged 30)15 Tottenham Hotspur
11MFDarren Anderton3 March 1972 (aged 24)11 Tottenham Hotspur
12DFSteve Howey26 October 1971 (aged 24)4 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
13GKTim Flowers3 February 1967 (aged 29)8 Blackburn Rovers
14MFNick Barmby11 February 1974 (aged 22)6 Middlesbrough
15MFJamie Redknapp25 June 1973 (aged 22)4 Liverpool
16DFSol Campbell18 September 1974 (aged 21)1 Tottenham Hotspur
17MFSteve McManaman11 February 1972 (aged 24)10 Liverpool
18FWLes Ferdinand8 December 1966 (aged 29)10 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
19DFPhil Neville21 January 1977 (aged 19)1 Manchester United
20MFSteve Stone20 August 1971 (aged 24)6 Nottingham Forest
21FWRobbie Fowler9 April 1975 (aged 21)3 Liverpool
22GKIan Walker31 October 1971 (aged 24)2 Tottenham Hotspur

13 players from 'smaller clubs' - 7 of which were starters, iirc

Imagine last August someone would say we would come above United and we would get as far as Spain I'd bite there hand off haha

Euro 96 squad :

1GKDavid Seaman19 September 1963 (aged 32)24 Arsenal
2DFGary Neville18 February 1975 (aged 21)10 Manchester United
3DFStuart Pearce24 April 1962 (aged 34)65 Nottingham Forest
4MFPaul Ince21 October 1967 (aged 28)19 Internazionale
5DFTony Adams (Captain)10 October 1966 (aged 29)40 Arsenal
6DFGareth Southgate3 September 1970 (aged 25)4 Aston Villa
7MFDavid Platt10 June 1966 (aged 29)58 Arsenal
8MFPaul Gascoigne27 May 1967 (aged 29)38 Rangers
9FWAlan Shearer13 August 1970 (aged 25)23 Blackburn Rovers
10FWTeddy Sheringham2 April 1966 (aged 30)15 Tottenham Hotspur
11MFDarren Anderton3 March 1972 (aged 24)11 Tottenham Hotspur
12DFSteve Howey26 October 1971 (aged 24)4 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
13GKTim Flowers3 February 1967 (aged 29)8 Blackburn Rovers
14MFNick Barmby11 February 1974 (aged 22)6 Middlesbrough
15MFJamie Redknapp25 June 1973 (aged 22)4 Liverpool
16DFSol Campbell18 September 1974 (aged 21)1 Tottenham Hotspur
17MFSteve McManaman11 February 1972 (aged 24)10 Liverpool
18FWLes Ferdinand8 December 1966 (aged 29)10 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
19DFPhil Neville21 January 1977 (aged 19)1 Manchester United
20MFSteve Stone20 August 1971 (aged 24)6 Nottingham Forest
21FWRobbie Fowler9 April 1975 (aged 21)3 Liverpool
22GKIan Walker31 October 1971 (aged 24)2 Tottenham Hotspur

13 players from 'smaller clubs' - 7 of which were starters, iirc

There are a lot of players there that would have gotten into the squads of the other major countries. Current one? Probably none.

but those players you have listed have been a mainstay in what i would consider a terrible period for English national football - mind numbing boring football and only ever doing enough to scrape past teams we should be beating and folding when faced with decent opposition. i can't believe you are holding these players up as a benchmark!

they did the close to doing somewhat well though, despite never really performing that well. like i have mentioned before, had some refereering decisions or penalty shootouts gone their way, who knows. also a lot of the sides who win these tournaments often do not perform that well either. its really not too much unlike england. but thats football. a game decided by moments. and to do well those moments need to go your way.

There are a lot of players there that would have gotten into the squads of the other major countries. Current one? Probably none.

not disputing that, of course they were good players - im disagreeing with the idea that the only players good enough for England to build a competitive team with are those from the big clubs.

as shown by the Euro 96 squad - if you build a team with a group of players that compliment one another you'll do well, regardless of the stature of the teams you play for domestically (obviously you're not gonna win the world cup with a 23 picked from the Ryman league - no matter how well they are gelled :lol: but still, i think it's a valid point)

not disputing that, of course they were good players - im disagreeing with the idea that the only players good enough for England to build a competitive team with are those from the big clubs

but how much more different could the squad or starting 11 have been? if we put any more mid-table side players in it, we'd become stoke.

people were calling for someone like barkley. but lets not forget, he can't even garuntee himself a starting spot for a non top-4 side

but how much more different could the squad or starting 11 have been? if we put any more mid-table side players in it, we'd become stoke.

people were calling for someone like barkley. but lets not forget, he can't even garuntee himself a starting spot for a non top-4 side

im more concerned with a players game and how he would compliment his team mates and the tactics/formation he is asked to play than what level club he is playing for.

Gerrard and Rooney both stuck out like sore thumbs in the Italy game IMV - they didn't suit what we were trying to do at all. had we replaced them with players who are a 'level below' them but more suited to the style of play/tactics etc then it would have meant the team as a whole would have likely been in better shape.

The FA have set up a moral-boosting post World Cup Finals match for England against Iceland.

If it goes well, we'll also play Tesco, then Asda.

im more concerned with a players game and how he would compliment his team mates and the tactics/formation he is asked to play than what level club he is playing for.

i agree with this. and i'm probably with you in thinking that too often england managers have just picked the 11 best individuals over the past decade. but i really don't think this team could've been much different. we all have our individual preferences and tweeks that we would have made. but i dont think there would've been any significant difference in performance.

i agree with this. and i'm probably with you in thinking that too often england managers have just picked the 11 best individuals over the past decade. but i really don't think this team could've been much different. we all have our individual preferences and tweeks that we would have made. but i dont think there would've been any significant difference in performance.

cool

although i do think Lallana instead of Rooney would have seen a noticeable difference personally.

A bit like Kuyt. Not enough goal threat to be a striker, not enough skill to be a winger. Runs around a lot though.

Who Wellbeck? How exactly, what did he offer? If he wasnt at Utd he would be nowhere near that squad.

yes he would be, he's a good player. he does a lot of the unfashionable work though so rarely gets credit. linked up well with Sturridge and Sterling and defended from the front, lot's of effort/never gave up/never went missing

A bit like Kuyt. Not enough goal threat to be a striker, not enough skill to be a winger. Runs around a lot though.
Seems to be one of Woy's favourites though, its hard to expect a team to play without fear though when their manager manages with fear!

Would Milner have provided more than Wellbeck given the role Wellbeck was playing? I think he might have. But again, if this is about the future then the experience will have done Wellbeck a lot of good hopefully...

This is how I want to see England line-up against Costa Rica providing we stick with Roy's favoured 4-2-3-1.

________________Hart_________________

Johnson____Cahill______Jones_____Shaw

________Henderson__Wilshere_________

_____Sterling____Barkley____Oxlade_____

______________Sturridge______________

It's over now, time to give these youngsters as much experience as possible.

Back