• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup Group D - Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

Which two teams will progress from the group?

• Uruguay and England

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Uruguay and Italy

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Uruguay and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England and Italy

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • England and Costa Rica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy and Costa Rica

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is how I want to see England line-up against Costa Rica providing we stick with Roy's favoured 4-2-3-1.

________________Hart_________________

Johnson____Cahill______Jones_____Shaw

________Henderson__Wilshere_________

_____Sterling____Barkley____Oxlade_____

______________Sturridge______________

It's over now, time to give these youngsters as much experience as possible.

Agree with the general theory…perhaps Lallana if Chamberlain is unfit...

I don't blame Roy, I don't blame the players, they are the best we have, they are just not very good

the only contentious squad choice was shaw or cole, baines would have started both games either way

we can complain about Rooney/lallana/Gerrard till the lions come home, but we don't have anyone better

I don't blame Roy, I don't blame the players, they are the best we have, they are just not very good

the only contentious squad choice was shaw or cole, baines would have started both games either way

we can complain about Rooney/lallana/Gerrard till the lions come home, but we don't have anyone better

I agree. If we go back a few weeks, how many people thought that it would be a breeze to qualify from this group? And that was before the fourth ranked team qualified first!

but how much more different could the squad or starting 11 have been? if we put any more mid-table side players in it, we'd become stoke.

people were calling for someone like barkley. but lets not forget, he can't even garuntee himself a starting spot for a non top-4 side

Not sure how relevant that is - I'd expect most PL teams to beat the current England team. That probably makes him good enough to start.

Added to that, surely it's better to play the best team rather than the best individuals?

Not sure how relevant that is - I'd expect most PL teams to beat the current England team. That probably makes him good enough to start.

Added to that, surely it's better to play the best team rather than the best individuals?

It's a fair point, Liverpool beat England easily last night

Could anyone see harry not getting England through?

Possibly. I think getting out of this group was a one in two shot and I don't see much difference in the ability of Redknapp and Hodgson as managers.

gerrard and lampard in the middle, "of course they can play together, they are both top top players, you'd have em in your side wouldn't ya, they're ever so good"

It would have been bigger disaster. More has beens in the squad, 442 and a big lump up front.

I doubt that he would have been wedded to 4-4-2. He wasn't with us and hasn't been with QPR either. But mentioning the R word is thread death, so I will bow out here.

just a bit of fun milo, have to do something to lighten the mood

edit: its the caricature being ridiculed not the real mccoy, i don't think even the most one eyed spurs fan think's he did anything other than a good job for us

Last edited:
just a bit of fun milo, have to do something to lighten the mood

I know.

I think that Redknapp would be a decent tournament manager but we would have had a lot more distractions during the build up. I also think that he would get bored between tournaments and we would not have seen such a young squad as we have brought to this WC.

i think we sometimes forget how lucky we are though. only 32 nations get to play in the world cup. and from there we usually get to the latter rounds too. there are so many nations who can't even dream of being in our position.

as fans we contribute exactly the same to the national team as a fan of say ukraine does. yet for some reason we place massive expectations on our team when they are doing the best they can. if you think the players are bad, thats not their fault. they've been selected because they are the best there is.

How lucky "we" are ? Hahahahaha ! Please tell me your taking the mick ? I refuse to believe your serious. I wont have it.

I know.

I think that Redknapp would be a decent tournament manager but we would have had a lot more distractions during the build up. I also think that he would get bored between tournaments and we would not have seen such a young squad as we have brought to this WC.

I agree with a lot of that, although I think England would have had more chance qualifying purely due to the fact that he would have instilled a siege mentally ... Would have played to the teams strengths and ensured bonding and passion terry venables style... I know I know passion is a dirty word around these parts.... But you know what if the stat boys believe that 50% of results are due to luck... Then why is is not ok to accept that terry butcher, Stuart pierce, gazza style passion is a major factor in results as well?

I agree with a lot of that, although I think England would have had more chance qualifying purely due to the fact that he would have instilled a siege mentally ... Would have played to the teams strengths and ensured bonding and passion terry venables style... I know I know passion is a dirty word around these parts.... But you know what if the stat boys believe that 50% of results are due to luck... Then why is is not ok to accept that terry butcher, Stuart pearce, gazza style passion is a major factor in results as well?

they were brilliant players as well though, passion is nothing without ability

Back